Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jeff Lynne's ELO: 2015 Album, "Alone In The Universe"

I see Mr. Lynne is using Take That's backing band for the tour that features the great Lee Pomeroy . Also is that Dave Kilminster from Roger Waters's touring band on lead guitar, sure looks like him?

20151206_235114_resized.jpg

^^^A new book that's really good! Perfect for the ELO fan on your gift list.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-07-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Agree 100%. If the doesn't includes more orchestra sounds in this record it will be another Jeff Lynne's solo album and there is no reason for the "ELO". Hope the rest of the record prove us wrong.
    I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I just finally got a copy of the new album (no one took my hints about it making for a good Xmas present).

My first impression was: Why did he feel he had to release this as an ELO album - it just sounds like a Jeff Lynne solo album (which is basically what it is).

The album grew on me a little with subsequent spins, but I don't think it's ever going to be a big favorite. Reminds me a lot of that contractual obligation "Balance of Power" album from the mid-80s.

I'll always be a big ELO fan and "ELO II" and "Time" are still on my desert island disc list, but Alone in the Universe? Eh. It's OK, I guess. I was hoping for better.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

I think the last four or so songs are the best on it. And the single.

My thought is, ELO is whatever he wants it to be anymore.

He ditched the strings in the early 80s so we can't really use the "no strings, not ELO" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    My first impression was: Why did he feel he had to release this as an ELO album - it just sounds like a Jeff Lynne solo album (which is basically what it is).
    If it's an album of new, original songs in a characteristic ELO vein, then it's ELO. (Neither of his solo albums was really that).

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    I hear a lot of John Lennon's "Imagine" in that musically... (just sayin')
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I hear Lennon in virtually everything he's ever done (which isn't necessarily a criticism).
    Maybe this is why I always thought he was a John Lennon wannabe..................I hope the new stuff is different.

Don't hold yer breath on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    If it's an album of new, original songs in a characteristic ELO vein, then it's ELO. (Neither of his solo albums was really that).
    It's that "characteristic ELO vein" that I'm not hearing. To me, "Alone in the Universe" sounds more like his other solo albums than an ELO album. So did Zoom. The only previous ELO album either of those sounded like to me was Balance of Power, and never thought that one sounded like ELO either.

I guess it's kind of a moot point - doesn't really matter what "name" it's released under, it definitely sounds like a Jeff Lynne project and it's nice enough. It'll probably grow on me with future listens. But I'm not feeling like I would have really missed out if I hadn't bought it.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I see Mr. Lynne is using Take That's backing band for the tour that features the great Lee Pomeroy . Also is that Dave Kilminster from Roger Waters's touring band on lead guitar, sure looks like him?
    No, I don't think it is. Haven't got time to watch the dodgy footage, but the fabulous Hyde Park gig broadcast by the BBC (and just released on DVD) featured Milton McDonald on electric guitar - and he played quite a few of the judicious little solos Jeff Lynne didn't fancy. McDonald won't need much introduction here to any of those enthusiastic about ABWH and Jon Anderson's collaborations with Kitaro in the early 90s.

I didn't fancy them either!

Funnily enough, one of the main reasons I stopped buying & listening to CDs was the tedious length. I don't want 60 and 70+ minute albums. For me the shorter vinyl length is ideal. Anything over 45 minutes & my brain switches off. Some of my favourite albums aren't even 30 minutes.

3 shows have been announced for the Hollywood Bowl; Sept. 9, 10 & 11.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/los-ang...inale-20160204
    **Jeff Lynne's ELO to Perform Three Shows at the Hollywood Bowl Fireworks Finale-
    The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association announced today that Jeff Lynne's ELO is set to perform three shows at the Hollywood Bowl for the Fireworks Finale on September 9, 10 & 11. Joined by the strings of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, conducted by Thomas Wilkins, these concerts mark the first time the band has played at the iconic venue.**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hyundai Super Bowl ad-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Classic track! Definitely sounds like ELO to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    3 shows have been announced for the Hollywood Bowl; Sept. 9, 10 & 11.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/los-ang...inale-20160204
    **Jeff Lynne's ELO to Perform Three Shows at the Hollywood Bowl Fireworks Finale-
    The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association announced today that Jeff Lynne's ELO is set to perform three shows at the Hollywood Bowl for the Fireworks Finale on September 9, 10 & 11. Joined by the strings of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, conducted by Thomas Wilkins, these concerts mark the first time the band has played at the iconic venue.**
    Radio City Music Hall, September 16, tix go on sale this Friday, April 1st.
    (No fooling.)

Amex pre-sale starts tomorrow. http://www.ticketmaster.com/jeff-lyn...1&minorcatid=1
    Edit- Sunday, Sept. 18 added at RCMH.
    Last edited by Obscured; 04-01-2016 at 11:45 AM.