Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need a Fruup thread! So, here it goes!

Great news for those interested by this obscure (but great) band.

Announced by Esoteric for the end of this month:

Fruupp: Wise As Wisdom: The Dawn Albums 1973-1975, 4CD Re-Mastered Clamshell Box Set
    Fruupp

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...shell-box-set/

The eons are closing
    Thnx for the heads up. I had never acquired the discs originally, so this is a nice way for me to jump right in...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

They gelled pretty nicely on their last album 'Modern Masquerades'. Most of my favorites (Gormenghast, Sheba Song, Masquerading With Dawn, Mystery Might) are on that one. I think I already have all their stuff though

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    They gelled pretty nicely on their last album 'Modern Masquerades'. Most of my favorites (Gormenghast, Sheba Song, Masquerading With Dawn, Mystery Might) are on that one. I think I already have all their stuff though
    Modern Masquerades is considered as their best and is included in the Esoteric set. I too already have these on (two-on-one) CD's but the sound is rather poor (sounds like vinyl rip to me) thus I'm interested by the remastered boxed set, which looks good and is very affordable.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Modern Masquerades is considered as their best and is included in the Esoteric set. I too already have these on (two-on-one) CD's but the sound is rather poor (sounds like vinyl rip to me) thus I'm interested by the remastered boxed set, which looks good and is very affordable.
    I have the 2fers as well. Yeah, not the best quality, for any of the four cds but since Modern Masquerades had the best quality to begin with, it isn't quite as bad.

I have all 4 in an earlier edition, so I'm not going to jump on it again.

Great news for those interested by this obscure (but great) band.

Announced by Esoteric for the end of this month:

Fruupp: Wise As Wisdom: The Dawn Albums 1973-1975, 4CD Re-Mastered Clamshell Box Set
    Fruupp

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...shell-box-set/
    not a priority, but if it's anything like the recent TD Pink Years boxset with mini-lp sleeves, I could be tempted

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yup, sort of sad that they finally "gelled" with their last

I think the albums also we released in single stand-alone form (those are the ones that were lent to me from a buddy) , so all I had was a CD-r comp of their four albums...
    It was enough for me until now... no reasons this would've changed.

I'll judge with the boxset in hand
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It will look like this:

FRUUPP.01.jpg

Any Fruupp fans here? I received today the fantastic Fruupp package from Burning Shed: a limited double live LP Masquerading With Dawn + a 7", postcards and a certificate of authenticity.
    The LP is a live set recorded at Friars, Aylesbury on December 6, 1975.

Although it is pricey, I'm happy to own this.Fruupp.jpg

I'm surprised to hear you got it from Burning Shed. I thought the whole print run was scooped up by the Fruupp Facebook group. I own a copy but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm glad this thread got bumped, because just yesterday I was thinking I needed to have a listen to all these Fruupp albums. I don't own any of them, but I've listened to a couple of them a number of times on Spotify and I have downloads somewhere. I really need this Esoteric set, so I should think about getting a copy (CD).
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

I didn’t know about the live set, I would like a copy. I have the two double CD reissues of their first four albums from ages ago. I used to see them live back in the day, they came round our way from year to year, as it was on the more provincial touring schedule and as a result they were always popular at my school.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I didn’t know about the live set, I would like a copy. I have the two double CD reissues of their first four albums from ages ago. I used to see them live back in the day, they came round our way from year to year, as it was on the more provincial touring schedule and as a result they were always popular at my school.
    Wow, that's hard to imagine that a band that seems so...esoteric...to me was popular at your school!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

^^^ Yes they were probably the only out and out symphonic prog band that set foot in our local venue, and they visited a few times, so built up a local support base. We were only 30 miles outside London, and usually had to travel to see anybody of note. I recall The Prince of Heaven’s Eyes being an often swapped record. I never had my own vinyl copy, but borrowed a mates from time to time. We used to swap albums all the time, and indulge in a little home taping.

Burning Shed still has the vinyl live album, it is quite expensive, but looks to be a lovely edition and so I am tempted. I probably owe it to them for the home taping in the 70’s

I didn’t know about the live set, I would like a copy. I have the two double CD reissues of their first four albums from ages ago.
    Beware that all four albums on those See For Miles CDs are abridged. The Wise as Wisdom box set of all four albums plus bonus tracks from Esoteric is currently reasonably priced on Discogs, and is an excellent upgrade. (I still fail to detect any difference between the album and single versions of "Jaunting Car," but whatever.)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Beware that all four albums on those See For Miles CDs are abridged. The Wise as Wisdom box set of all four albums plus bonus tracks from Esoteric is currently reasonably priced on Discogs, and is an excellent upgrade. (I still fail to detect any difference between the album and single versions of "Jaunting Car," but whatever.)
    I was looking at the box set on Burning Shed where it is also reasonably priced. I was aware that tracks were missed in the earlier release, and am minded to upgrade.

I was looking at the box set on Burning Shed where it is also reasonably priced. I was aware that tracks were missed in the earlier release, and am minded to upgrade.
    You really ought to. Some of those missing tracks are the band's best songs ("As Day Breaks With Dawn," "Faced With Shekinah," "Gormenghast").

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You really ought to. Some of those missing tracks are the band's best songs ("As Day Breaks With Dawn," "Faced With Shekinah," "Gormenghast").
    You’ve convinced me, I bought that and the live vinyl!

I'm a big fan of all four studio albums. Maybe you already know, but keep in mind, the live album is sourced from an audience tape. I still haven't listened to my copy but may do that this weekend.

I have the Sanctuary 2cd:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3874...-Now-Anthology

It cuts a few tracks and some on what was Prince Of Heaven's Eyes are mislabelled/edited. (Same with their Gryphon 2cd.) But it'll do.

My favourite tracks are 'It's All Up Now' and the 'Prince Of Heaven' single.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm a big fan of all four studio albums. Maybe you already know, but keep in mind, the live album is sourced from an audience tape. I still haven't listened to my copy but may do that this weekend.
    I hadn’t realised it was an audience recording, but I’ve plenty of boots in my collection so that’s cool, it will be good to re-live as I definitely saw them in this tour.

Here's a nice article about the live album (commenting also on the sound quality): https://theprogressiveaspect.net/blo...ing-with-dawn/

Then my work is done here.

bowing nast reaction.jpg

Automotive listening du jour: Future Legends. I've gushed before about Vincent McCusker's guitar playing. Obviously, he'd been listening to lots of Jan Akkerman, but he'd never be this unhinged again (to the band's detriment, but I do like all of their albums, and Modern Masquerades leapfrogs over this one as my favorite from time to time). I really feel I must add props to Stephen Houston's string arrangements; they really give the album a distinct feel and make the songs come alive. I've seen people lament that this band never used a Mellotron, but those first two had REAL STRINGS, and you can't get better than that! (And a string quartet at that, which to my ears is better than a full, orchestral string section.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It cuts a few tracks and some on what was Prince Of Heaven's Eyes are mislabelled/edited. (Same with their Gryphon 2cd.)
    Even the Esoteric CD gets the indexing of Side 2 of POHE wrong. Does any CD get it right?