Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GOD, I really hate jazz!!!

GOD, I really hate jazz!!!

Anyone else here got a jazz allergy, diving for the remote when jazz is played on the radio/TV or when someone at a party puts some jazz on?

I'm okay with some fusion. But the emphasis has to be on the rock,blues,folk,classical rather than the jazz element.

But pure jazz, anything from trad to big band to be-bop to modern jazz to current stuff just makes me cringe and run for the hills! I really, really can't stand it.

It is the ONLY form of music I really dislike and NEVER listen to.

This thread inspired by my father in law (aged 85), who on Christmas Eve at his house put on some 1940s big band sax player freestyling, much to the dismay of the gathered family clan of about 14 people, mostly kids and people under 50, many of whom said "can we have some xmas music instead please?" The kids were not so polite saying "what is this stuff?"

It was horrible!

Sorry, but I'd rather listen to a jazz musician fart than listen to a country singer sing.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Do you mean the constant noodling and aimless babbling of a bunch of convenient notes with no consideration of composition ???

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Anyone else here got a jazz allergy, diving for the remote when jazz is played on the radio/TV or when someone at a party puts some jazz on?
    No, this seems quite incomprehensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sorry, but I'd rather listen to a jazz musician fart than listen to a country singer sing.

"It's funny 'cause it's true!"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I believe I have a new signature line.

OK - I used to be the same way. I tried listening to it in my younger days but the closest I could get was Steely Dan. And finally it all clicked. There's still limitations. I have a hard time with anything recorded before say, 1957 or so, and anything too avant or free-form leaves me cold. Jazz guitar, other than Pat M., bores the living hell out of me. But country music is my true nemesis, just about every subgenre of it except for bluegrass sucks balls. I can take a handful of the classics: Johnny C, Willie and Waylon but a genre of music has never been more of a nails on the chalkboard that shitkicker music. Fuck that inbred, two-chord, whiny pseudo-hillbilly manufactured-in-a-Nashville-factory bullshit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Do you mean the constant noodling and aimless babbling of a bunch of convenient notes with no consideration of composition ???
    No, no; that's prog.

Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Not me...I have been always into jazz...including big bands, bop, free jazz, ragtime and even pop jazz of 40-50s ... as a matter of fact when I was teeneger I prefered to listen to Coltrane, Coleman, Parker and Monk rather than hard rock bands or disco...

but I see your point, jazz may not be the best music for Christmas party....

Don't get me wrong, I was well into jazz for most of the 80s and the early 90s, big band, be-bop, modern. NEVER liked and never will like trad jazz (Dixieland). But at some point around the mid-90s even the stuff I really liked just started irritating the heck out of me. Then by the end of the 90s I'd stopped listening to jazz altogether.

I'm the opposite, I'd rather listen to Hank Williams burp than listen to some bloke with a sax doing his dying cat impression. For me old real country, old American folk, old western music, bluegrass are very close to a lot of Irish folk music and for me pleasing to listen to. I also like cajun and zydeco.

Yes, but also earlier stuff - big band, swing, ragtime and Dixieland.

I don't like the free-form, but I absolutely LOVE early jazz, like Armstrong, Beiderbecke, et al. I also love Hank Sr. (Jr. is a national embarrassment and has besmirched his legacy BTW), but little else in the country vein. And, yes, I like a lot of early Johnny Cash, for example, but he was much more than country. He had no category, IMO. I also had no problem when bands like The Byrds or Dylan delved into country. It seemed pretty natural and real. But that shit they call country today is just plain nauseating. It all blends together into sameness.

Swing and big band is okay, but too much polish for my taste.

I am in the same boat.

I know it's very "unfashionable" for a prog fan to dislike jazz. Tough shit. I can handle it in limited amounts, but I've really tried, and just can't enjoy it.

I agree that some fusion is ... okay.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm really picky about jazz. In fact, I prefer playing jazz to listening to jazz. Big band is cool, so is swing, and I dig some avant jazz as well. However, I find it nearly impossible to listen to a lot of jazz from the 50s. I've tried really hard to get into Kind of Blue, but I still fail to see what people see in it. Give me Bitches Brew or something by Mingus, Dolphy or Roland Kirk ANY day.

Jazz influences can make or break a band for me, though. I almost need to hear a saxophone or flute player to make a group worthwhile sometimes. In fact, I used to buy albums based on if there was a horn or wind player in the group. Its just the way I am ... I need that extra color.

Fusion groups can be hard for me to swallow, and I've heard more crappy ones than good ones. I've seen fusion groups where literally every song sounded identical or there was hardly a melody to be found. Mahavishnu seem to be the best fusion group to my ears, but I also enjoy some DiMeola and Soft Machine.

I feel rather bad for your father-in-law, though, having too many times been the one to play music and get "What is this crap?" and "can we play something else?"...

As for country? I agree with Jerjo on this one. Having lived in WV all of my life, I've had my fill and then some of hillbilly 'culture'. :-)
    Last edited by zombywoof; 01-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    No, no; that's prog.

No, no. That's the Grateful Dead.

This thread might be developing into a "music you either love or hate" thread.

Top contenders generally seem to be: jazz, country, rap/hip hop.

I think comprehension of what is going on as well as unfamiliarity are some reasons why people say they hate jazz. There is very little outside playing or extended chordal work in most pop music, thus bringing people to the conclusion jazz is a bunch of bum notes or just feeling uncomfortable the unfamiliar. Not to mention the fact that we are far separated from the jazz age now. Once rock took over as the number one selling form of music in the late '60s and '70s familiarity began to dwindle and as most on this board are under 60 it's not surprising.
    Despite being born into a jazz free age I developed a taste for it at a young age and studying jazz guitar gave me an even deeper appreciation. It's classical music that I tend to avoid. Which is odd, because I was brought up with it.

Top contenders generally seem to be: jazz, country, rap/hip hop.
    I could generally live without most forms of metal, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I think comprehension of what is going on as well as unfamiliarity are some reasons why people say they hate jazz. There is very little outside playing or extended chordal work in most pop music, thus bringing people to the conclusion jazz is a bunch of bum notes.
    Jazz is exceedingly hard to play. Its based on improvisation, but the improvisation is based on a solid knowledge of chords and keys.

Improvisation, played fast and based on a solid knowledge of music theory, is an admirable characteristic of Jazz.

Improvisation, played fast and based on a solid knowledge of music theory, is considered to be the worst characteristic of metal.

WTF?
    Regards,

Duncan

Ha! No metal, country, rap, opera or classical for me, though I don't dislike classical, just don't listen to it. I respect opera, just can't take it.
    I definitely lean more towards more progressive forms of jazz and am a huge fusion fan. I can listen to other forms of jazz off and on. I like Kind Of Blue,
    but love Miles from Bitches Brew on. Bluegrass is good as well, in small doses. I like a lot of rock as well, but it seems everything that is current is boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Improvisation, played fast and based on a solid knowledge of music theory, is considered to be the worst characteristic of metal.

WTF?
    However, that's not what makes me despise metal. I despise metal based on the sound of the guitars, the straight playing, and the rapid fire double kick drum. It has nothing to do with the improvisation.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I think comprehension of what is going on as well as unfamiliarity are some reasons why people say they hate jazz. There is very little outside playing or extended chordal work in most pop music, thus bringing people to the conclusion jazz is a bunch of bum notes or just feeling uncomfortable the unfamiliar. Not to mention the fact that we are far separated from the jazz age now. Once rock took over as the number one selling form of music in the late '60s and '70s familiarity began to dwindle and as most on this board are under 60 it's not surprising.
    Despite being born into a jazz free age I developed a taste for it at a young age and studying jazz guitar gave me an even deeper appreciation. It's classical music that I tend to avoid. Which is odd, because I was brought up with it.
    Wow, that was almost like reading my own post before I wrote it! I was even brought up on classical music too, my dad was in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra for 31 years. And I'm a guitar player who studied jazz too, though I never studied it with anybody (except indirectly with the jazz greats by figuring out what they were doing).

Anyway, I think unfamiliarity and lack of comprehension does have a lot to do with the dislike or hate of jazz. Unfortunately, it's close to impossible to teach somebody to love something that their initial knee-jerk reaction to was hate.

Santana was actually my gateway to jazz, way back in the late '60s. I noticed that he was a playing a few extra notes in his improvisations that I wasn't hearing from any of the other blues/rock guitar players (and of course, I later figured out it was the dorian mode). And I LIKED it! Of course, Jimi Hendrix knew some pretty jazzy chords and that appealed to me too. I wanted to be like them; a guitar player who played some stuff that was different from what most blues/rockers were playing. So the obvious thing was to learn a little from the jazz players. That's why I started listening to jazz anyway. I didn't expect to fall in love with it, but I did... and pretty quickly!

There's nothing I can say that can make a jazz hater begin to like jazz, so I won't say anything about that. I'm just glad I got into it at a young age (I was about 15); it's just easier to absorb something new when you're young and impressionable.

I can't say I "hate" any form of music. While I don't particularly like country or rap, it's easy enough to ignore or at least tolerate it if I'm around other people who want to listen to it. As far as jazz is concerned, I find the older I get (I'm 43), the more I like it and the less tolerance I have for "prog" and the same ol same ol on the Big Five or Big Seven of the first wave or whatever the count is on the main page.

I prefer the "old school" jazz and blues, from the 1920s - 1940s, possibly because of my love for old Hollywood and Broadway musicials that incorporate a lot of that style. Getting used to the 50s - modern and fusion has been a bit of a challenge, but I've been open to it. Once I settle down, I'd love to get into the "new stuff" a bit more. I tend to lean more towards blues than jazz, but I say "never say never"!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain