Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: GOD, I really hate jazz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I think comprehension of what is going on as well as unfamiliarity are some reasons why people say they hate jazz.
    No, I fully understand what is going on and followed jazz closely and in depth for many years. I just don't like the sound of it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No, I fully understand what is going on and followed jazz closely and in depth for many years. I just don't like the sound of it anymore.
    Jazz will still be there for you when you snap out of it.

I like jazz, particularly from the mid-50s through the late-60s. However, as much as I like it, I don't listen to it much. Around 10 years ago, I really started getting into jazz, and over the next few years I acquired around 200 or so titles. Then, over time, the amount of jazz that I listen to kept getting smaller and smaller. Maybe I'll listen to a jazz CD once every two weeks? There's just not enough time - I love rock n roll (in almost all forms) too much.

The music that I have a very low tolerance for is rap/hip-hop, hair metal, and "modern" country.

That's kind of how I feel about prog, although every now and then a new release by a new(ish) band will grab me. Recent examples are:

Thinking Plague - Decline and Fall
    District 97 - The Trouble With Machines

But a great deal of the modern prog that people post camples of here doesn't do much for me, even if I can admire the musicianship and production values. It's gotten too cliche at this point.

I LOVE JAZZ! All of the sub-genres of this fascinating genre. What I have low tolerance is for today's Hip-hop, Dance-Hall Reggae, Reggaeton, Bachata, Top 40 radio music and most of today crooning R&B.

I despise Commercial radio so much, I spend most of my time listening to Sports Radio (WFAN) here in NYC and when time permits WBGO for Jazz.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    (and of course, I later figured out it was the dorian mode)
    What's "of course" about it? When I hear something like "Dorian Mode" I wonder if she's got a nice ass.

In my advanced age and state of clogged cranial blood vessels I simply don't want to hear long instrumental "workouts", improvised or composed, by anyone. This keeps most post-bop jazz out of the picture, although I do like swing music.

I much prefer studio recorded jazz to live jazz. I find the focus in a live setting is on the solos which hearkens back to the bad old days of fusion or just plain wanking. I much prefer jazz that focuses on the composition or on textures, and in my experience, that's usually from a studio recording. I've been known to spin the odd ECM record.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    What's "of course" about it? When I hear something like "Dorian Mode" I wonder if she's got a nice ass.

In my advanced age and state of clogged cranial blood vessels I simply don't want to hear long instrumental "workouts", improvised or composed, by anyone. This keeps most post-bop jazz out of the picture, although I do like swing music.
    I was mostly directing that at Sonic, who I'm sure knows what (as opposed to "who") a dorian mode is.

I dunno, maybe it helps to appreciate jazz if you're a musician, although I have met a fair share of jazz lovers who aren't. As a composer, I'm intrigued by great composition, but as a player, I'm intrigued by great improvisation. Improvisation is the funnest part of playing music, at least for me. Sure, it's fun to lock into a pre-determined arrangement and make it groove with the other players, but the fun REALLY starts when you get a chance to spontaneously create something of the moment; something that you've never played before and will never play again. It's a challenge (especially when the improvising involves navigating your way through a reasonably complex chord progression) ; you run the risk of falling on your ass in front of people. It never comes out exactly like you want it to, but when it comes close to conveying what you wanted it to, it's exhilerating! Maybe it sounds like a bunch of gobblety gook to those who have never been participants; I don't know. I hear the term "wanking" pretty often around here, but I'm sure that some of the stuff that gets labeled in that derrogatory way is the same stuff that others such as myself consider as high art.

It's a hard road, playing jazz. You HAVE to work hard to get reasonably proficient at it. It generally requires more skills than rock does (although I can think of some rock musicians who have all the skills it takes to play jazz, but they choose to do something else with them). So you spend all of these years practicing until you finally feel ready to take what you've learned out in public... only to discover that most people don't like jazz.

I also realize that a majority of people have to have vocals and lyrics in their music... and vocals are the exception rather than the rule in jazz. As for myself, I love great singers and lyrics, but I don't need them to enjoy music... consequentially, at least half of my music collection is all instrumental.

Jazz = improvisation

So when the head (melody) is finished everybody improvises around the chord changes.

Its hard to wrap your ears around all that action, which confuses a lot of people , creating disinterest , then frustration,and finally angrily storming out of the room screaming I HATE JAZZ !!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I was mostly directing that at Sonic, who I'm sure knows what (as opposed to "who") a dorian mode is.

I dunno, maybe it helps to appreciate jazz if you're a musician, although I have met a fair share of jazz lovers who aren't. As a composer, I'm intrigued by great composition, but as a player, I'm intrigued by great improvisation. Improvisation is the funnest part of playing music, at least for me. Sure, it's fun to lock into a pre-determined arrangement and make it groove with the other players, but the fun REALLY starts when you get a chance to spontaneously create something of the moment; something that you've never played before and will never play again. It's a challenge (especially when the improvising involves navigating your way through a reasonably complex chord progression) ; you run the risk of falling on your ass in front of people. It never comes out exactly like you want it to, but when it comes close to conveying what you wanted it to, it's exhilerating! Maybe it sounds like a bunch of gobblety gook to those who have never been participants; I don't know. I hear the term "wanking" pretty often around here, but I'm sure that some of the stuff that gets labeled in that derrogatory way is the same stuff that others such as myself consider as high art.

It's a hard road, playing jazz. You HAVE to work hard to get reasonably proficient at it. It generally requires more skills than rock does (although I can think of some rock musicians who have all the skills it takes to play jazz, but they choose to do something else with them). So you spend all of these years practicing until you finally feel ready to take what you've learned out in public... only to discover that most people don't like jazz.

I also realize that a majority of people have to have vocals and lyrics in their music... and vocals are the exception rather than the rule in jazz. As for myself, I love great singers and lyrics, but I don't need them to enjoy music... consequentially, at least half of my music collection is all instrumental.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    No, no. That's the Grateful Dead.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

That's kind of how I feel about prog, although every now and then a new release by a new(ish) band will grab me....<snip> ...But a great deal of the modern prog that people post samples of here doesn't do much for me, even if I can admire the musicianship and production values. It's gotten too cliche at this point.
    You've summed up my feelings about prog---although, for years, I pointedly ignored Canterbury for some reason and it's only now I'm enjoying learning about it/listening to it. Newer stuff: mostly meh for me, although I do hear the occasional thing that I like.

I love jazz and can't imagine not listening to it, and that also goes for all other genres of music...except for CCM, which I find ridiculously vapid and awful.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    When I hear something like "Dorian Mode" I wonder if she's got a nice ass.

Every time I hear the term "Mixolydian", I imagine something made by Cuisinart that slices, dices, blends...and plays the theme from Star Trek.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Anyone else here got a jazz allergy, diving for the remote when jazz is played on the radio/TV or when someone at a party puts some jazz on?
    No.

That's kind of how I feel about prog, although every now and then a new release by a new(ish) band will grab me. Recent examples are:
    Yea, me too. I like a lot of the old classics of prog but by no means all of them. But as each year goes by I find I'm liking fewer and fewer new releases. Consequently I find myself looking to and discovering more old stuff that I've never heard before.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    I love jazz as much as I love prog. All forms of jazz, with the exception of exuberant, hyper-rhythmic latino jazz with vocals, but even that, I can tolerate.

There are few musical styles I dislike deeply, probably hip hop ad rap are the only ones who "make me cringe". But I am surprised, Peter G. because I know of very few proggers who dislike jazz. But then, I freely admit that I am an old fart.

Robert

My relationship to jazz is pretty much a tourist. I tend to like it when I hear it but I'm not really motivated to seek it out and buy it. I like all the usual suspects that everyone mentions but I have a serious fondness for Vince Guaraldi, just because I like his piano style and I first saw the Charlie Brown Christmas Special when I was 2. But if I'm into anything right now I would say it was Roland Kirk.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like jazz a lot though I'm no expert on all the different styles. I tend to like music without vocals so that's not a issue for me with jazz. I'm not much into the 20's - 30's Big Band stuff but everything from the 50's forward except from free jazz is great. I've never been able to get in free jazz, there's just not enough discernible form for me & I'm usually good with that stuff.

The Jazz Day at Cuneifest for a re invigoration of my jazz interest & prompted me to start exploring the genre again. I saw a bunch of bands I knew nothing about and enjoyed them all.

I have to be really careful buying jazz so I tend to look for recommendations from Jazz fans like Steve F & John Kelman and then dig out samples. There have been some great jazz or jazz related releases over the last few years from the likes of Nik Bartsch / Ronin, Elephant9, Jaga Jazzist, Aristocrats, Kilimanjaro Darkjazz, etc.

Genres I typically don't find much to like about (though there is the occasional exception) - Country, Rap, Hip Hop, Pop, Extreme Metal, Disco.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I love jazz.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Some of you might scoff, but this is really great stuff.

Throw yourself back to 1927 during the prohibition of Roaring 20s, pre-depression, when Babe Ruth was king and listen to it without any preconceptions from what happened 40-plus years later. This is real American music and prog wouldn't be what it is today without it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice!! I'm a Bix fan, there was an old TV Show in the UK called The Bix Biederbeck Affair that was a sort of off centre comedy detective series about a teacher who was a jazz nut. It was a great series and the music was wonderful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

The Jazz Day at Cuneifest for a re invigoration of my jazz interest & prompted me to start exploring the genre again. I saw a bunch of bands I knew nothing about and enjoyed them all.
    Ian,

Once again, what a nice thing to say. I know you were a bit...unsure about the jazz day programing and I also knew you had fun at the event, but I didn't know how much you liked or didn't like any of the bands.

It was a real pleasure having you there. I wish everyone I dealt with in this business was as nice and engaged as you are.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 01-02-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This is real American music and prog wouldn't be what it is today without it.
    You are absolutely right. In fact, I would go so far to say that the best of prog is performed by jazz musicians.

Banned
    I don't "hate" any music, I just don't prefer it. Hate is such a strong word and when you use it, you come off sounding ignorant (and a baby). Compare "I HATE JAZZ" to saying something like "I really don't like Jazz music and prefer other types of music, but I can still respect jazz musicians".

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You are absolutely right. In fact, I would go so far to say that the best of prog is performed by jazz musicians.
    Your man, Frank, is right at the top, IMO.