Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downes Braide Association aka DBA: new release Suburban Ghosts out November 6th

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm happy enough to have it along-side with my Buggles and Producers CDs.
    Yeah, exactly!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah, exactly!
    If you like those, check out Chris' band This Oceanic Feeling with Ash Soan on drums and Lee Pomeroy on bass.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    If you like those, check out Chris' band This Oceanic Feeling with Ash Soan on drums and Lee Pomeroy on bass.
    Yep...it is on my buy list, actually.

There's a nearby store that stocks stuff like TOF, so rather than tossing my coins to Amazon I've been checking their bins for a copy. You know, keep the locals in biz and whatnot
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Sure, there's conceptual elements and a sense of "program music" running throughout. And my calling it "great 80's synth pop" wasn't at all meant as a slam...both the DBA albums have been lovely treats and get lots of rotation at Chez Batts.

I hesitate to call it prog because no one is going to confuse it for Close to the Edge, or Mekanick Destructiv Kommandoh, Western Culture, or Misplaced Childhood. It's more like art pop, with a conceptual theme.

Whatever we call it, it's really enjoyable stuff. I'm super happy to have new music from these guys, and hope to hear even more in the future.
    All good and I appreciate the clarification. I didn't read your comments as a slam at all and I think we feel very much the same about the album in terms of quality. I made my comment because of what the word "pop" means to some people on this board. The type of more simple music that word brings to some people's minds, in my opinion, may be unfair to the album and may have some avoiding it. Though Braide has a real gift for writing a strong melody and chorus, I wouldn't call this a straightforward pop album. Not in terms of the arrangements, variety or lyrical content, but yes, there are some extremely catchy choruses to be found here. I'm not saying that someone looking for multiple chord changes and 3 minute keyboard or guitar solos will be wholly satisfied, but it is, IMO, an adventurous and smart Art Rock album at the very least. Maybe,not prog in the traditional or standard sense of the word, but admittedly, I am a guy who would call 90125 prog to some degree. The word pop around these parts scares people and I personally think the album is a bit more than the kryptinite that word alone is to some.. No doubt, there are heavy pop elements to be found on 'Sububan Ghosts' but I was just trying to clarify it from my point of view to avoid people instantly turning away from the album. Plus, "80's synth pop" brings to mind artists like 'Soft Cell, Depeche Mode, Human League, etc and I don't find the album to be directly in that vein either. All my opinion but regardless of how we hear it, the main goal is to enjoy the music which we are both doing in this case.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 11-20-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Right - that one, too!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    All good and I appreciate the clarification. I didn't read your comments as a slam at all and I think we feel very much the same about the album in terms of quality. I made my comment because of what the word "pop" means to some people on this board. The type of more simple music that word brings to some people's minds, in my opinion, may be unfair to the album and may have some avoiding it. Though Braide has a real gift for writing a strong melody and chorus, I wouldn't call this a straightforward pop album. Not in terms of the arrangements, variety or lyrical content, but yes, there are some extremely catchy choruses to be found here. I'm not saying that someone looking for multiple chord changes and 3 minute keyboard or guitar solos will be wholly satisfied, but it is, IMO, an adventurous and smart Art Rock album at the very least. Maybe,not prog in the traditional or standard sense of the word, but admittedly, I am a guy who would call 90125 prog to some degree. The word pop around these parts scares people and I personally think the album is a bit more than the kryptinite that word alone is to some.. No doubt, there are heavy pop elements to be found on 'Sububan Ghosts' but I was just trying to clarify it from my point of view to avoid people instantly turning away from the album. Plus, "80's synth pop" brings to mind artists like 'Soft Cell, Depeche Mode, Human League, etc and I don't find the album to be directly in that vein either. All my opinion but regardless of how we hear it, the main goal is to enjoy the music which we are both doing in this case.
    I do understand where you're coming from....it's all good

80's synth pop indeed---wow time warp time--but if the Pet Shop Boys still sell albums why not this?
    But I do like what I hear even if it takes me back---vocals very good and that's a key element for me.
    May have to get this one.
    Last edited by 2steves; 11-20-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    80's synth pop indeed---wow time warp time--but if the Pet Shop Boys still sell albums why not this?
    Name recognition
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suburban Ghosts Part III (Lost in Suburbia) has a definite Prefab Sprout vibe to it. They must have been shooting for Paddy Macaloon - the upper octave on the melody, certain vocal effects/textures, some phrasing choices and the general feel and musical design. Not top shelf Prefab (which is nearly untouchable imho) but enjoyable nonetheless.

Got it last night and listened to it once. My initial observations: much more prominent bass and/or synth bass. Guitar seems louder, too, even a solo on one track. Arrangements seem more dense with more keyboards than debut. No synthetic hand claps! : )

Got it last night and listened to it once. My initial observations: much more prominent bass and/or synth bass. Guitar seems louder, too, even a solo on one track. Arrangements seem more dense with more keyboards than debut. No synthetic hand claps! : )
    I agree that this album sounds much more produced in a positive way. The guitar solo in question is by Dave Gregory of XTC and Big Big Train fame.

I made my comment because of what the word "pop" means to some people on this board. The type of more simple music that word brings to some people's minds, in my opinion, may be unfair to the album and may have some avoiding it. Though Braide has a real gift for writing a strong melody and chorus, I wouldn't call this a straightforward pop album. Not in terms of the arrangements, variety or lyrical content, but yes, there are some extremely catchy choruses to be found here.
    Might I suggest that it's not just Braide with the "gift for writing a strong melody and chorus". This is the Downes Braide Association and Downes has his own track record of delivering melodies and choruses, all the way back to "Video Killed the Radio Star".

I've very much enjoyed the two Downes Braide Association albums, and Producers' Made in Basing Street, but I've not found some of Braide's other projects as good, which flags up to me Downes' contribution in DBA (and Horn, Creme, Lipson and Soan's in Producers). I think Downes is bringing many of the raw melodies and choruses here, with Braide bringing lyrics, arrangements and production.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Might I suggest that it's not just Braide with the "gift for writing a strong melody and chorus". This is the Downes Braide Association and Downes has his own track record of delivering melodies and choruses, all the way back to "Video Killed the Radio Star".

I've very much enjoyed the two Downes Braide Association albums, and Producers' Made in Basing Street, but I've not found some of Braide's other projects as good, which flags up to me Downes' contribution in DBA (and Horn, Creme, Lipson and Soan's in Producers). I think Downes is bringing many of the raw melodies and choruses here, with Braide bringing lyrics, arrangements and production.

Henry
    Oh yes, I wouldn't take that away from Downes at all as his talents as a songwriter are well established. I can definitely hear Downes style at hand in DBA. I can also very much hear Braide's stamp all over it. They definitely make a good musical pairing and both of them have the ability to write a significantly effective chorus. I have enjoyed other work from Chris as well, such as the This Oceanic Feeling album and solo albums like 'Something always happens' and 'Hello Leo'. The guy is a definite talent and I am happy that he is making music that is a bit on the adventurous side of things.

Henry
    I think as it relates to choruses in DBA, they seem to be a little more refined, for lack of a better word, than in some of Downes other work. Asia, Icon and even some of the song structured, New Dance Orchestra albums employ more of an anthem like chorus style. I don't hear that in DBA at all. Short of asking the musicians, there is no way to really know who wrote what, but if Downes is writing choruses for DBA, they are either arranged differently or just taken down a notch. Either way, I definitely hear Downes input musically on the DBA albums.

The sound clips and the praise from Henry prompted me to buy this today. So glad I did. Great songwriting, great melodies, great sounds. A little Joe Jackson, some Buggles of course and just a great fresh sound. But the melodies are the carrier.

This should be a wider appealing album. Not sure how you market something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sopes View Post
    This should be a wider appealing album. Not sure how you market something like this.
    Given it's on Cherry Red, maybe we could ask Vicky!

There's a Buggles-ish quality to the album and the promo for the album makes that connection. Braide is a super-successful songwriter for numerous pop artists, so do you try to push this at, say, people who like Sia or Lana Del Rey?

Henry

Given it's on Cherry Red, maybe we could ask Vicky!

There's a Buggles-ish quality to the album and the promo for the album makes that connection. Braide is a super-successful songwriter for numerous pop artists, so do you try to push this at, say, people who like Sia or Lana Del Rey?

Henry
    I think like anything else, you market it with visibility somehow. Posts like this help, but also internet radio play, reviews, etc. It would be great if some tracks from this album could find their way to an outlet like XM/Sirius or featured on ITunes, Vivo or on a TV show. That kind of visibility could do wonders. I agree with the comment that this should be a wider appealing album and I think it definitely would be if more people were aware of it. I love albums like this because it not only has a certain progressive adventurousness about it, but it is also a very smart and accessible pop rock album.

To your point Henry, I had the pleasure of interviewing Chris Braide recently and I asked him some questions about his two careers per say. One as a very successful songwriter and his own performing career. He had some interesting things to say about the differences between the two, but it is clear that he is extremely proud of work like the latest DBA album. Though I am not sure of sales figures, to sopes original point, there should be an opportunity for more people to be aware of this album.

To your point Henry, I had the pleasure of interviewing Chris Braide recently and I asked him some questions about his two careers per say. One as a very successful songwriter and his own performing career. He had some interesting things to say about the differences between the two, but it is clear that he is extremely proud of work like the latest DBA album.
    Let us know when the interview comes out!

I'd've asked him if he's stalking Trevor Horn. First he works with him in The Producers, then he works with Geoff, then he works with Marc Almond, who did an album with Horn...

Henry

Let us know when the interview comes out!

I'd've asked him if he's stalking Trevor Horn. First he works with him in The Producers, then he works with Geoff, then he works with Marc Almond, who did an album with Horn...

Henry
    I will definitely do so. It will be soon. He was quite the admirer of 'The Buggles' back when he was a kid, so it is a pretty cool story that they are now working together musically. The plus for us as an audience is that they are releasing some very entertaining music. 'The Producers' album, for example, really didn't seem to cause much of a splash back when it came out. I don't believe that it was even released here in the US, which is a shame because it is a very good album, IMO. To our earlier comments above, I think this has much to do with how an album is marketed because I have played the album, 'Made in Basing Street' to people who knew nothing about it and they became fans of it. I think that is the case with much of the music that is discussed here on PE. If more people had the opportunity to hear these recordings, there are many that would really like the music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually think Yes' "Heaven and Earth" is a bit more pop than prog, largely (I'm really just guessing here) due to Downes' contributions, and I think it's probably the better album for it. I was never one who was down (no pun intended) on the album when it came out, and it seems to keep growing on me. The song they did on CTTE had "aged" really well and sounded great live. Also, I played it in the car recently and my 6-yr-old son really liked it and paid close attention to the whole thing. There's something to be said for a catchy melody, and as long as there's SOMETHING interesting going on alongside, that's enough for me really. Even though Yes has done some complex music, I never thought of them as a band that HAS to be complex to be good. I wasn't a huge Downes fan earlier on, but he's basically won me over and I feel like he provided a shot in the arm for the band. More than once, I guess.

So this album sounds pretty good, and I don't care much what we categorize it as.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually think Yes' "Heaven and Earth" is a bit more pop than prog, largely (I'm really just guessing here) due to Downes' contributions, and I think it's probably the better album for it.
    The only song on which Downes is credited as a co-writer is "Subway Walls", which is the longest and proggiest song on the album, so I'm not certain that pop element you hear is due to Downes. It's Squire and Howe who delivered the more pop numbers.

Henry

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only song on which Downes is credited as a co-writer is "Subway Walls", which is the longest and proggiest song on the album, so I'm not certain that pop element you hear is due to Downes. It's Squire and Howe who delivered the more pop numbers.

Henry
    Well, at least Downes didn't stand in the way!

Based on the writing on the two DBA albums, I would have liked to have seen an even greater contribution from Downes on H&E. Not sure the ratio of Braide/Downes writing on DBA...to my ears it certainly sounds quite a bit like the latter's style is in there.

Probably a credit to both that it doesn't sound like two separate guys with alternating songs on an album.

Probably a credit to both that it doesn't sound like two separate guys with alternating songs on an album.
    Agreed. I prefer the more "blended" approach to "this is your song, this is my song."

How would this compare to Downes' "The Light Program?"