Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Rock

Post Rock

Hi all ..

I thought I'd create this thread as a companion to the Godspeed thread. I'm new to post rock, but have so far collected albums from Godspeed, Talk Talk, and Sigur Ros. What else do I need? What are the classics of the genre? Any great post rock releases from this year?

From this year? Well, Caspain has a new one due out in a couple of weeks.

My own go-to list (du jour!) for post rock:

Mogwai - "Young Team" and "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will." They are also a band to see live.
    Caspian - "Waking Season"
    Bark Psychosis - "Codename: Dustsucker"

Probably a few zillion more that I'm forgetting in the moment, but I'm sure others will be happy to chime in with their own suggestions

There was a prog/postrock hybrid band from a few years back called Magyar Posse as well...they got some very positive words from folks here on PE. They are disbanded now, but you may be able to track down some of their work.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I've heard some folks put God is an Astronaut in this category, and they really scratch an itch for me. But I'm a total n00b with the genre, so I don't know how they're looked at by those in the know.

This is a genre that I've always had interest in, but have never really had the time to devote proper attention to.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 09-23-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I would suggest Tortoise's "Millions Now Living on This Earth Will Never Die". Sorry, no time to explain why.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Check out Gastr Del Sol-Camoufleur.Perhaps more on the experimental edge of post rock than most of the other worthy titles mentioned, but still an outstanding release.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Post rock with some metal

Vast topic, and let's see if it's possible to leave out the mandatory and frustrated begging for "definition".

The paradigmatic titles of movement in the post-rock phenomenon were Slint's Spiderland (1991), Bark Psychosis' Hex (1994), Stereolab's Mars Audiac Quintet (1994) and Tortoise's Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1995). The latter album essentially defined the whole term once and for all.

Some other personal recommendations from me to you: Rachel's' (the band's name) Handwriting LP (1993), Labradford's Mi Media Naranja (1997), Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind (1997), Gastr del Sol's Camoufleur (1998), Isotope 217's Utonian Magic (1999), Do Make Say Think's Goodbye Enemy Airship (2000), The Sea & Cake's Oui (2000), Anja Garbarek's Smiling and Waving (2001), Under Byen's Det Er Mig Der Holder Trĉerne Sammen (2002), Mogwai's Happy Songs for Happy People (2003), Samuel Jackson Five's Easily Misunderstood (2005) and El Topo's Pigiama Psicoattivo (2008). Oh, and added: Battles' Mirrored (2007).

There's more variation between those titles than, well...
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Vast topic, and let's see if it's possible to leave out the mandatory and frustrated begging for "definition".
    apart from “rock instrumentation utilised for non-rock purposes” (to paraphrase simon reynolds), perhaps – which i consider succinct enough.

recommended: VESSELS.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    apart from “rock instrumentation utilised for non-rock purposes” (to paraphrase simon reynolds), perhaps – which i consider succinct enough.
    Simon Reynolds' good ol' def, right? It's a nice one, I'll agree.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    There was a prog/postrock hybrid band from a few years back called Magyar Posse as well...they got some very positive words from folks here on PE. They are disbanded now, but you may be able to track down some of their work.
    Excellent band but yeah, both disbanded and their stuff is OOP.

Besides the already mentioned big names (Tortoise, Mogwai, Do Make Say Think, Swans) and less big (Samuel Jackson Five) here's two more of my faves:

Pivot(PVT)

Salaryman

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Post Rock: noun - the pop/radio music of modern serious/classical music

Mono - You Are There is one that I would highly recommend that isn't mentioned above.

Have fun, Ian!

Another thumbs up for Maygar Posse. They were awesome.

I really like Mono as well. Although they do not do anything new, they do what they do very well.

^

Yes, Mono are mostly good. Very fine live band as well. More popular in Europe and the US than in their native Japan, as I understand it.

As with many other sorts of "underground" musics here, post-rock has had a good going in Norway. Salvatore, Monopot, Low Frequency in Stereo, Mold, White Birch, SJ5 - and these:

The first four Tortoise albums. The first five Trans Am albums. The two Slint albums.
    Mogwai - "Young Team"
    Gastr Del Sol - "Camofleur"
    Explosions in the Sky - "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever;" "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place"

That's what came to mind first.

Tarentel was a fine band, although I lost them after a 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The first four Tortoise albums. The first five Trans Am albums. The two Slint albums.
    Mogwai - "Young Team"
    Gastr Del Sol - "Camofleur"
    Explosions in the Sky - "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever;" "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place"

That's what came to mind first.
    Tortoise and Trans Am --- I play the shit out of their stuff. Really good. Trans Am plays a rippin' live show. Tortoise does too.

Did someone mention Battles? Scrotum did. Cool.

Really dig the Magyar Posse clip,having never heard this band's music before.Too bad this cd is OOP.

Get the album Awake by Tycho. Excellent music !

I am far from an expert on this genre, but have become a pretty big Mogawi fan.

Mogwai is yet another band i've read praise for over the years, but just didn't get around to checking them out.Young Team is on my agenda, i like the clips i've heard from it today.Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Mogwai is yet another band i've read praise for over the years, but just didn't get around to checking them out.Young Team is on my agenda, i like the clips i've heard from it today.Ordered.
    My favorite by them is "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" from a few years ago.

Suspended
    Yet another genre that I'm unacquainted with until fairly recently. Apart from the fact that, obviously, post-rock is not rock, what would you say defines it?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't have a huge collection but these are the guys I enjoy

Tortoise - TNT
    Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
    Crippled Black Phoenix - The Ressurectionists & Night Raider
    Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent All Is Bright & Far From Refuge
    Swans - To Be Kind
    Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horsemen - Perils
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 09-23-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.