Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carmen - Fandangos In Space / Dancing On A Cold Wind

Carmen - Fandangos In Space / Dancing On A Cold Wind

Hello all,
    "Fandangos In Space" is one of my favorite albums from the 70's - Very interesting combination of Prog and Flamenco.
    I bought their albums on Angle Air (SJPCD229) - but It sounds too Loud and too Flat to me...

Does anybody knows what is the best version to get on cd ?

1. Line records from Germany : 1988\1992 LICD 9.00598
    2. Airmail : Japan : 2006 : AIRAC-1280.
    3. Airmail : Japan : 2012 : Deluxe : AIRAC-1684.

Thank you very Much !

I only have the Line Records-version, which I can't compare with other CD-version, only with my cut-out LP "Fandangos In Space". But the CD's sound oké.
    The only Angel Air-release from Carmen I have is "The Gypsies", which has been coupled with David Allan" "Widescreen".

Thank you.

But, if I may ask, What do you mean :"the CD's sound oké.
    Do they sound good? What is the problem with them?

I think the Angel Air release is the only complete version of Fandangos in Space on CD. If what I've heard is correct, both the Line edition and the 2-on-1 contain a drastically abridged version of "Bulerias." Can't say for certain, I only own it on vinyl. The Line releases of the other two Carmen discs are fine.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think the Angel Air release is the only complete version of Fandangos in Space on CD. If what I've heard is correct, both the Line edition and the 2-on-1 contain a drastically abridged version of "Bulerias." Can't say for certain, I only own it on vinyl. The Line releases of the other two Carmen discs are fine.
    Wow, never realized that, but you're right.
    But the complete Side 1 from the LP has been messed up on the CD. Parts of "Bulerias" (especially "Reprise") are in CD2 ("Bullfight"), which makes that track longer than the LP-version. The running times of other tracks on Side 1 from the LP are also different from the CD.

The Line-CD's sound good. With "oké" I meant that there are no problems with them. They sound quite natural. But certainly not over the top, like some remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Very interesting combination of Prog and Flamenco.
    The you should check out Spanish bands like Mezquita, Cai and Iman Califato Indipendiente, plus the first two or three rekkids by the biggest progressive act in Spain during the 70s, Triana.

If you haven't already, that is...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The you should check out Spanish bands like Mezquita, Cai and Iman Califato Indipendiente, plus the first two or three rekkids by the biggest progressive act in Spain during the 70s, Triana.
    If you haven't already, that is...
    Sure, I know and love all this albums.
    thank u.

Big fan of both albums, not so much the third album "The Gypsies". Anyway, I have both the Line 2CD set and the Angel Air 2CD set (as well as the Regal Zonophone label import copies of the original LP's that I've had since the 70's). Why do I keep both CD versions? The Line version has an unforgiveable flaw: The first song, "Bulerias", is missing the last minute and a half, going straight into the second song at the end of the quiet section. Other than that major issue, the sound is probably better than the Angel Air, though I did have to do some EQing.

Line's main flaw is that nearly everything on that label seems have been mastered by somebody at Polygram who liked treble boost.

But even given that, it's astonishing how many releases on that label are still the best available on CD from a sonic standpoint. Not sure that says more about how good Line's CD releases were or what happened to the medium in the years that followed.

The Carmen albums have plenty of reasonably priced options on vinyl. Seems to me this would be a far better option.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One of the CD releases, as I recall, and it might have been Dancing and not Fandangos, had a bad edit that people complained about - a fade in was cut out or something. Either that was the Line CD, or the Line CD was the best one. I'm helpful, ain't I?

Thank you all.
    The Angel Air Cds are practically unlistenable - but I can't play Vinyl's so I guess it's not a solution for me.
    It seems that the "Line" version of this Cds is also flaw - and on Ebay the cd is also quite expansive...
    What to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Thank you all.
    The Angel Air Cds are practically unlistenable - but I can't play Vinyl's so I guess it's not a solution for me.
    It seems that the "Line" version of this Cds is also flaw - and on Ebay the cd is also quite expansive...
    What to do...

Be patient. The Line CDs can sometimes be had pretty cheap on eBay.

Thank you Jeff,
    Found the line issue, two CDs, in one box (1992) , for 21 euros including shipment...

I'll wait for them arrive.

What label is the 2CD set from the 90s? That's what I have. I think it's Line.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess so. The Angel Air-version is probably from 2006: http://www.angelair.co.uk/?tcp_produ...-a-cold-winter

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Could be SeeForMiles. Or some Japanese label. I have DOACW and The Gypsies on Line.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'll just have to go down to the friggin basement tomorrow and find this.

^

It's not allowed to keep Carmen CDs in the basement - haven't you heard?!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Inspired by the Spanish-thread and my mistake in my database for having Carmen listed as Spanish I went for some additional information on the band and found this cool site from David Clark Allen, which has many lovely pictures and information on Carmen and the time before and after: http://www.davidclarkallen.net/

I love Carmen. I love Tull, but both times that I saw the Tull tour w/Carmen opening, Ian was no match for Angela & David & castanets and flamenco tap shoes..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I love Carmen. I love Tull, but both times that I saw the Tull tour w/Carmen opening, Ian was no match for Angela & David & castanets and flamenco tap shoes..
    Would have loved to see those shows. What tours were they?

I don't remember that kind of shit & didn't even before I became old & forgetful, Jed. I don't even remember if Tull was promoting a new release or not. I do remember that it was sometime after Songs From The Wood had been out a while.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't remember that kind of shit & didn't even before I became old & forgetful, Jed. I don't even remember if Tull was promoting a new release or not. I do remember that it was sometime after Songs From The Wood had been out a while.
    Probably not because Carmen was disbanded in 1975.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

According to the Too Old to Rock 'n, etc liner notes, it was the Minstrel in the Gallery tour (1975), and John came out and watched Tull every night.