Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RIO 2015 reviews & thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Well, unless you want to say "it has to sound like avant-garde rock music of 40 years ago", which I hope you would not want to say, I would merely comment "WHAT RIO paradigm"?

some 'academic classical music' isn't that far from Art Zoyd

and

I personally wouldn't mind seeing some math-rock there. YMMV
    Arrrrgh, I thought of giving you a serious answer but then I got into the "what is progressive" loop.
    So for me RIO is what I listen and sounds RIO to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Arrrrgh, I thought of giving you a serious answer but then I got into the "what is progressive" loop. ...
    Yes. That's the problem, isn't it? Thanks for posting.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Oh my gosh.... I can't believe what I'm reading here. We make fun of Symph Weenies, and now we're on the brink of becoming RIO Weenies ourselves ?? I don't wish to sound too admonishing, but:

RIO is not a genre, it is not a style, it is not an attitude, it is not consonance vs. dissonance, nor is it a disposition. It is a musical gathering. And no-one deserves to be at this gathering more than M & M, who are not only the most talented guys we could ever hope to have on "our side" (the one that is largely self-generated, self-administered and self-sufficient), but some of the hardest working and most humble of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Oh my gosh.... I can't believe what I'm reading here.<snip>
    welcome home, Dave!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Oh my gosh.... I can't believe what I'm reading here. We make fun of Symph Weenies, and now we're on the brink of becoming RIO Weenies ourselves ?? I don't wish to sound too admonishing, but:

The symph weenie virus morphed and became contagious

I believe I used the word RIO bradwurst when the term symph weenie was coined.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

RIO is not a genre, it is not a style, it is not an attitude, it is not consonance vs. dissonance, nor is it a disposition. It is a musical gathering. And no-one deserves to be at this gathering more than M & M, who are not only the most talented guys we could ever hope to have on "our side" (the one that is largely self-generated, self-administered and self-sufficient), but some of the hardest working and most humble of the lot.
    Well said Sir.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    So is this turning into "who should play on the next RIO" thing?

Then please consider my polite vote for Polite Refusal (a.k.a. Vezhlivy Otkaz). Yes, bringing a band from our neck of woods is probably not very cheap, but it did not prevent RIO from booking Rational Diet a few years ago (I don't think flights from Minsk are significantly cheaper than those from Moscow). I'm pretty sure they can easily get in touch with VO via Altrock who distributes their CDs and does a great job with it, but if my help is needed, I'm at Michel's (or anyone else's) disposal. I know all of the guys personally, they're all very nice people, and the bass player is an old friend of mine.
    I was telling everyone to add them to their questionnaires. A bucket list band for me who I foresee very little chance of ever seeing given our geographic differences.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Brother Dave, if this what was needed to get you out of your hole then it was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Brother Dave, if this what was needed to get you out of your hole then it was worth it
    I want to crawl into a hole every time I watch Morgan play !

What's even funnier is watching me try to play the kit along with some of his drumming. Quite the trainwreck! But I still try and try again like a stupid chimp with sticks.

chalkpie
    I want to crawl into a hole every time I see one - I like holes.

chalkpie
    Yes, the whole notion of RIO at this point is silly. The only RIO that is pertinent at this point is the place in Brazil with lots of bikinis. This seems like an amazing festival, and one that I would give my left testicle to be able to attend someday (hopefully somebody could return it to me afterwards), and what I personally admire about it is seeing the diversity of acts, and that includes the Mats/Morgen type of bands. I think a weekend of the same old dissonant, alternating measures of 13/8 and 7/8, etc etc gets olde very quickly. Even bluegrass festivals have started to employ a wide range of acoustic music throughout the weekend, because folks are realizing that 3 days of the Flatt and Scruggs "school" can get old real quick and people might actually try to kill themselves before its over if they keep hearing the same shit over and over. How is the RIO fest any different? Variety, baby.

I will say this once again - to name two bands that I really really like and perhaps they wouldn't automatically meet the criteria (on paper when you read their bios) - but Jack O' the Clock and Knifeworld are two stellar acts that not only belong to this festival, I think they achieve and transcend the true meaning of RIO in their amazing diversity and eclecticism. Are they opposed to anything? Who gives a shit. Its music that contains a certain complexity, musicianship, stylistic diversity, textural and colorful components, interesting and dare I say beautiful melodicism (and unique harmonic structures), etc the list goes on. What more would you want?

Both those bands would work well at RIO. Having got a little distance I have to say this years edit stacks up well with any festival I've ever attended. It had a great combination of bands, friends and atmosphere. I had a phenomenal time.
    Ian

It would be tough to top this edition
    Lets hope Michel can keep it running

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I will say this once again - to name two bands that I really really like and perhaps they wouldn't automatically meet the criteria (on paper when you read their bios) - but Jack O' the Clock and Knifeworld are two stellar acts that not only belong to this festival, I think they achieve and transcend the true meaning of RIO in their amazing diversity and eclecticism. Are they opposed to anything? Who gives a shit. Its music that contains a certain complexity, musicianship, stylistic diversity, textural and colorful components, interesting and dare I say beautiful melodicism (and unique harmonic structures), etc the list goes on. What more would you want?
    I heard that Knifeworld were recording an Album at Bob Drake's studio just a few (hundred?) Kilometers away. Too bad they couldnt arrange a show, being so close to it all...

^ Hi, that's right we were. To be honest we were flat out for the whole time we were there. Obviously we'd love to play. I've done RIO three times with Guapo and it's really my favourite festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ^ Hi, that's right we were. To be honest we were flat out for the whole time we were there. Obviously we'd love to play. I've done RIO three times with Guapo and it's really my favourite festival.
    ^Yeah, the local wine is cheap and great, ha?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I've done RIO three times with Guapo and it's really my favourite festival.
    Michel owes you after using your photo as the festival's poster last year when you weren't even performing !
    Fingers crossed...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Art Zoyd have posted this generous sampling of the RIO birthday concert:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com