Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I am just now getting into God Speed You, and I've had it a while, Lift Your Skinny Fist. I couldn't see why so many liked them, but it's sinking in now. The same can be said for Sigur Ros's () album, although I still can't appreciate that. I do like Tortoise's Millions.

I was over at Wiki and reading their Post Rock page to see what else is considered in this genre as I'm pretty unfamiliar with it, and there's early post rock stuff on it like Talk Talk's Spirits of Eden (which I have), although I prefer some of David Sylvian's stuff over it. I don't know if it's the same genre, but sounds close. They also mentioned This Heat, which I need to re-listen to as I couldn't get into it much at the time either. Sort of art rock stuff. I like Stereolab however.

I see they mentioned Isis, and I don't have that but heard a bit of their stuff on YT. Sort of heavy metal-ish to me.

So is there anything else you like in the genre? I see mentioned some spin off stuff from God Speed, and I'll check into that for sure, thanks.
    The first four Tortoise albums and Slint's Spiderland are essential post-rock listening.

Thanks, Mike, I'll look further into them.

Explosions in the sky and A Silver Mt Zion are also fantastic.

Okay, thanks Talliman. I saw Explosions in the Sky do a set for Austin City Limits. I'd never heard of them, but they seemed pretty impressive live. I'll check into Mr Zion too.