Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think this one might be their strongest overall since reforming.
    I agree, was thinking the same. ALLELUJAH! DON'T BEND! ASCEND! comes close.

Album of the year so far. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    I agree, was thinking the same. ALLELUJAH! DON'T BEND! ASCEND! comes close.
    Oh yeah, it's a toss up between those two for me. And "Mladic" is easily one of my personal favorite GY!BE tracks overall
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's rather good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Loving the new album, but they've honestly never disappointed me. Having said that, I'll always be the most partial to Slow Riot and Skinny Fists. But I adore the Speeds.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I do wish they would go to 11 again. This is the third album in a row that is overall pretty subdued and doesn't really reach the cathartic heights of the best of post rock. They are the masters of the build, climax, and release. But with these past three albums, the climax portion doesn't really seem to get engaged.

This new one is probably the best of that bunch, but for me, pretty far from their opening salvo (+ Don't Bend).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Haven't heard anything post-comeback, but I used to like them on first time around. Fly Pan Am and A Silver Mt Zion are both good offshoots.
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven to me was for me the last landmark album of the whole rock spectrum. Up to today of course; though I doubt that rock music will ever be so relevant to produce landmark albums. Personally I've been deceived from their post-comeback production, they seemed to trade endlessly the same musical path without the passion and dedication of the earlier output. The current one G_d’s Pee AT STATE'S END!, didn't change this impression.

Luciferian Towers is their weakest effort to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Love GY!BE so much. Every album is a delight and this new one really packs a punch.

Will factor into my year end musings...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven to me was for me the last landmark album of the whole rock spectrum. Up to today of course; though I doubt that rock music will ever be so relevant to produce landmark albums. Personally I've been deceived from their post-comeback production, they seemed to trade endlessly the same musical path without the passion and dedication of the earlier output. The current one G_d’s Pee AT STATE'S END!, didn't change this impression.

Luciferian Towers is their weakest effort to my ears.
    I pretty much agree with all of this, although I wouldn't give Lift... such a unique status. It is a landmark album as you say - but to me there were landmark albums after it. How about Of Natural History by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?

Godspeed You! Black Emperor Announce 2022 World Tour
    The band will head across North America, Europe, and the United Kingdom behind G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!

Note the gap between 3-20 and 4-15. It would be possible for them to make an appearance at the 2022 Big Ears Festival. I imagine that given they appeared at the 2018 version, it would be a stretch for a 2022 appearance unless they did something unique. A collaboration or augmentation of sorts. Just a thought. (And they are in Pelham, TN end of April.)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor:

01-12 Diksmuide, Belgium - 4 AD
    01-13 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
    01-14 Brussels, Belgium - Botanique
    01-15 Brussels, Belgium - Botanique
    01-16 London, England - Electric Ballroom
    01-17 London, England - Electric Ballroom
    01-19 Bristol, England - SWX
    01-20 Coventry, England - Empire
    01-21 Glasgow, Scotland - The Barrowland
    01-22 Manchester, England - University Academy I
    01-24 Rennes, France - Le MeM
    01-25 Paris, France - Elysee Montmartre
    01-26 Clermont Ferrand, France - La Cooperative de Mai
    01-27 Nancy, France - L’Autre Canal
    01-28 Bern, Switzerland - Dachstock Reitschule
    01-31 Karlsruhe, Germany - Substage
    02-01 Cologne, Germany - Kantine
    02-02 Berlin, Germany - Festsaal
    02-04 St. Petersburg, Russia - Aurora
    02-05 Moscow, Russia - Club 1930
    02-25 Denver, CO - Gothic Theater
    02-26 Boulder, CO - Boulder Theatre
    02-27 Santa Fe, NM - Meow Wolf
    03-01 Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
    03-02 San Diego, CA - The Music Box
    03-03 Los Angeles, CA - The Belasco
    03-04 Berkeley, CA - The UC Theatre
    03-05 San Francisco, CA - Regency Ballroom
    03-06 Petaluma, CA - Phoenix Theater
    03-08 Seattle, WA - Showbox Market
    03-09 Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
    03-10 Victoria, British Columbia - Capital Ballroom
    03-11 Vancouver, British Columbia - Vogue Theatre
    03-12 Kelowna, British Columbia - Kelowna Community Theatre
    03-14 Calgary, Alberta - Palace Theatre
    03-15 Edmonton, Alberta - Union Hall
    03-17 Winnipeg, Manitoba - Park Theatre
    03-18 Minneapolis, MN - First Ave
    03-19 Chicago, IL - Thalia Hall
    03-20 Chicago, IL - Thalia Hall
    04-15 Woodstock, NY - Levon Helm Studios
    04-16 Northampton, MA - Academy of Music
    04-18 Fairfield, CT - The Warehouse
    04-19 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
    04-21 New York, NY - Webster Hall
    04-22 Jersey City, NJ - White Eagle Hall
    04-23 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
    04-24 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    04-25 Richmond, VA - The National
    04-26 Carborro, NC - Cat's Cradle
    04-28 Orlando, FL - The Beacham
    04-30 Pelham, TN - The Caverns
    05-03 Indianapolis, IN - The Vogue
    05-04 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
    05-05 Toronto, Ontario - The Phoenix Concert Theatre
    05-07 Ottawa, Ontario - Bronson Centre

Cleveland!!! May 4, 2022. Maybe I can talk the wife into it...
    The Prog Corner

Not even playing a gig in their hometown or La Belle Province.

I may try to catch them at the Botanique mid Jan, though the place is pretty small. 10 years ago, they were playing at the AB (+/- 5x bigger)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Loving the new album, but they've honestly never disappointed me. Having said that, I'll always be the most partial to Slow Riot and Skinny Fists. But I adore the Speeds.
    I sorta grew out of it, because too many bands aped them.

Still love the début and Slow Riot (better than the debut IMHO), but I got off the bus after Yanki.

Will listen to their latest a second time, but I had no revelation at first hear
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not even playing a gig in their hometown or La Belle Province.
    Near certainty some Montreal gigs are coming. They played three nights in a row in 2019.

March 18th, First Avenue.

I did get to see them finally in February 2016 also at First Avenue. They played in my hometown again I want to say in 2019, but I skipped it.

And the new album is quite good, despite the stupid title (although hardly odd for them I suppose).

I wish they were playing at a Theater though, but whether I go or not is going depend on how things are next March with low COVID numbers and safety. I would anticipate wearing a mask at least the initially at any indoor event, but by March of next year the spread may be low enough not to worry (plus many of us could be getting a 2nd and/or Annual vaccination by then per I just got my 1st shot last month, my 2nd is coming up next Friday the 16th).

I'll be going to the Noho show. Quite a bit cheaper than Woodstock, which would've been closer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I would love to, but they seem to boycott my hometown. The 1 time it seemed they might finally come to Minnesota, even as an opener, was when they went on tour with Nine Inch Nails a couple of years ago. But of course that tour, some dates had Explosions in the Sky open (who I never have, nor don't imagine ever will like), and EitS was the opener at the St.Paul, MN show, and not Godspeed.

And every tour since and before since I've been a fan (which goes back not that long before their hiatus), they have failed to come to Minnesota.

Why? I dunno if it's a limited tour dates, routing of course which sucks all kinds of ass, or maybe more than likely, the promoters in my hometown don't have the confidence to pay what their people ask for.
    I saw them on the tour in 1999 on Thanksgiving at what used to he the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. They only had the ep and one album out. I really didn't know anything about them before that night. They blew me and everyone else away!
    2 drummers, 4 guitars, a string trio, maybe 2 bassists and a couple others? It's been 22 yrs, but I am glad I caught them and was a fan for a while. I still like their early stuff. But I fell off after a few albums.
    I also liked Do Make Say Think too

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    They play here somewhat regularly. Tickets are very hard to come by as there is little advertising and the prices are always low so they literally sell out in minutes. I did manage to see them once about 5 years ago. Amazing live performance! The music is a lot more dynamic when played live. They were 9 on stage, two drummers.... Great visual effects too, primarily from a guy with a couple of super 8 projectors and a bunch of film strips he feeds into them manually, to be synched perfectly with the music. He's probably the busiest guy on the stage!

I own a few of their late 90s/ early 00s releases but they just don't grab me. This is a band that needs to be seen to be fully appreciated, imo....
    I know Yves' post is six years old, but...

I'd totally agree that if you're not digging deeply into the local concert lists, you're probably going to miss GYBE and find out by hearsay they played three night ago. I seem to remember that tickets in Brussels were not that cheap back then (18€ apiece), but it's up to the venue to fix the price, and that includes hotel accomodations for a large line-up (in Montreal, they would go back.... home to sleep). I wonder how they managed to be followed by so many people with so little hooplas back and before the Millenium times with so few advertising: I mean, this was before Asocial networks times and even pre-MySpace times, and not that many people were connected some 20 years ago.

Otherwise, it's not like there was that much going on on stage when I saw them twice . They're pretty static and the guitarists played sitting down so they could reach their mega footpedal boards on the floor by hand, which means that peop;le at the back didn't see them at all, and all there was to do was seeing the films on the screens

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I do wish they would go to 11 again. This is the third album in a row that is overall pretty subdued and doesn't really reach the cathartic heights of the best of post rock. They are the masters of the build, climax, and release. But with these past three albums, the climax portion doesn't really seem to get engaged.
    Yup, it seems like the reduced GYBE! line-up is not playing in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Near certainty some Montreal gigs are coming. They played three nights in a row in 2019.
    I would guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I saw them on the tour in 1999 on Thanksgiving at what used to he the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. They only had the ep and one album out. I really didn't know anything about them before that night. They blew me and everyone else away!
    2 drummers, 4 guitars, a string trio, maybe 2 bassists and a couple others? It's been 22 yrs, but I am glad I caught them and was a fan for a while. I still like their early stuff. But I fell off after a few albums.
    I caught them twice in Brussels in between the Fist and Yankee albums and they were minfd-blowing, despite not saying a word to the crowd and the crowd not being certain which tracks they were doing.

Unfortuantely I never saw DMST or Fly Pan Am when they came close by ... for the same reasons that Yves cited: no publicity and tickets are gone quickly .
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oooh, 9:30 4/24. Gonna be a long year.
    I really enjoyed seeing them the one time that I have at Big Ears.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Oooh, 9:30 4/24. Gonna be a long year.
    I really enjoyed seeing them the one time that I have at Big Ears.
    They were superb
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

that would be been cool to see them at such a small, intimate venue like The 400 Bar sans for no AC.

As I posted a couple of posts back, they did finally come to Minneapolis a couple of years ago and i did see them. Pretty epic show including a slide show in the background.

I also enjoy Do Make Say Think and caught them live like 10+ years ago at The Varsity Theater. Another memorable show.

That's when I last saw them. They played Babylon in Ottawa, we were all sitting on the floor listening to the music and watching the slideshow.

04-26 Carborro, NC - Cat's Cradle

Gonna try really hard to make this one. I really liked them early on. I have not heard the post-reunion stuff.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I'll be going to the Noho show. Quite a bit cheaper than Woodstock, which would've been closer for me.
    Man, I haven't been to Webster Hall in so long! Maybe I'll try to make that, however I've never seen GYBE live (or listened to them much, really).

Ian, will I like them live?

Yes you will, live they are an experience
    Ian

I am just now getting into God Speed You, and I've had it a while, Lift Your Skinny Fist. I couldn't see why so many liked them, but it's sinking in now. The same can be said for Sigur Ros's () album, although I still can't appreciate that. I do like Tortoise's Millions.

I was over at Wiki and reading their Post Rock page to see what else is considered in this genre as I'm pretty unfamiliar with it, and there's early post rock stuff on it like Talk Talk's Spirits of Eden (which I have), although I prefer some of David Sylvian's stuff over it. I don't know if it's the same genre, but sounds close. They also mentioned This Heat, which I need to re-listen to as I couldn't get into it much at the time either. Sort of art rock stuff. I like Stereolab however.

I see they mentioned Isis, and I don't have that but heard a bit of their stuff on YT. Sort of heavy metal-ish to me.

So is there anything else you like in the genre? I see mentioned some spin off stuff from God Speed, and I'll check into that for sure, thanks.