Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Is this an attempt at defending the lyrics?
    I may not have been clear enough, but I think that CC is the soundtrack of a documentary about the Bol D'Or

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Good for you.. as I recall I bought mine from Jem for a rather expensive price..
    I guess you meant GEMM.

==============

BTW, Dashiell's forst album (he went by the Melmoth" moniker) called La Devanture Des Inresses is really a gem... a very different type of GonG-less diamond than Obsolete, but just as good - though a good command of French is recommended for full enjoyment.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    There are two versions of Continental Circus available on CD. The first, from Flawed Gems (GEM64), has the four usual tracks - Blues for Findlay, What Do You Want?, Blues for Findlay (Instrumental) and Continental Circus World - but has an additional ten tracks taken largely from French TV shows and covering the period from 1970 to 1973. The second, harder to find, CD is on the Giacomo label (Giacomo 777) and has the four usual tracks and then two live tracks from 1972 - a ten-minute Blues for Findlay (with loads of space whisperings) and a 27:39 minute version of Flying Teapot (with one of Blake's first appearances with Gong). The Giacomo CD does not have liner notes (except to list the musicians as Allen, Smyth, Malherbe, Christian Tritsch and Pip Pyle) but I gather the long version of Flying Teapot was once released on a GAS tape.
    I have the Giacomo CD release (and my original vinyl)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I may not have been clear enough, but I think that CC is the soundtrack of a documentary about the Bol D'Or
    I was joking. And I think you are correct that it is a soundtrack to that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I guess you meant GEMM.
    Maybe the poster was referring to Jem, a New Jersey based import records distributing company that was active back in the 1970's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jem_Records

I guess you meant GEMM.

==============
    IMG_9662.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shedsoundsrecordings View Post
    I dunno if this is the best place to ask, but are there any preCamembert Gong albums worth checking out??
    All of the records are worth checking out... I mean, there's only three or four!

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    So much music would have been unknown in the pre-internet era without the almighty Jem Records. I still have their catalogs from the 70s.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    There are two versions of Continental Circus available on CD. The first, from Flawed Gems (GEM64), has the four usual tracks - Blues for Findlay, What Do You Want?, Blues for Findlay (Instrumental) and Continental Circus World - but has an additional ten tracks taken largely from French TV shows and covering the period from 1970 to 1973. The second, harder to find, CD is on the Giacomo label (Giacomo 777) and has the four usual tracks and then two live tracks from 1972 - a ten-minute Blues for Findlay (with loads of space whisperings) and a 27:39 minute version of Flying Teapot (with one of Blake's first appearances with Gong). The Giacomo CD does not have liner notes (except to list the musicians as Allen, Smyth, Malherbe, Christian Tritsch and Pip Pyle) but I gather the long version of Flying Teapot was once released on a GAS tape.
    There's also the Mantra (France) CD from 1974 with just the album tracks.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    There's also the Mantra (France) CD from 1974 with just the album tracks.
    I think is also a CD by Replica (which I think are part of Musea Records), also just Album tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    BTW, I have an unanswered question about this great record: does anyone know for sure WHO plays the guitar solo on Cielo Drive ? Is it Hedayat himself, Daevid Allen, or... ?
    Hedayat plays the solo, the "groovy" guitar is actually played by Pip.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hedayat plays the solo, the "groovy" guitar is actually played by Pip.
    The LPsleeve states its DH’s solo

Just got the box in, wow I know I will spend the next weeks bathed in the Sound of live Gong!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Made it through the box...main thing for me is the amazing sound. Everything sounds fantastic and even the live material is clear and everything is very well mixed together. The early live shows are better to me than the later ones, but I (at worst) quite like them all. Very glad this exists.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Made it through the box...main thing for me is the amazing sound. Everything sounds fantastic and even the live material is clear and everything is very well mixed together. The early live shows are better to me than the later ones, but I (at worst) quite like them all. Very glad this exists.
    The boxset is worth buying just for the excellent remastering, not only on the studio albums but the live discs as well. They are all crystal clear, and I don’t have a particularly sophisticated sound system. But the live discs are what makes the boxset stand out. Of these, the Roanne concert is, for me, the peak; the version of Other Side of the Sky is truly awesome. One regret is that Daevid Allen’s glissando guitar and Tim Blakes’s synths are missing from the Marquee concerts, which largely feature tracks from the You and Shamal eras, but there is the consolation of the Hyde Park concert. Another brilliant set.

I have been reading elsewhere the claim that the Roanne concert was used for the ‘Live at Sheffield 1974’ disc released by Mantra. I personally doubt this and, hearing the Roanne concert in full on the boxset, I am even more convinced that they are two distinct concerts. But I have both Pre-Modernist Wireless and Live at Bataclan and I had no idea (until I read the boxset’s book) that four of the tracks from Pre-Modernist Wireless were from the Bataclan concert. Now that I know, I can easily tell that the tracks come from the same concert (with a bit of studio trickery added to Crystal Machine on the Peel Sessions disc). But I would like to get a considered view on whether Sheffield is, indeed, the Roanne concert in another guise.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone know how much of this was previously unreleased?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Anyone know how much of this was previously unreleased?
    It's marked on the box backcover. Unreleased are the Bonus tracks on the Flying Teapot CD and most of the live
    stuff except some of Bataclan and BBC sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's marked on the box backcover. Unreleased are the Bonus tracks on the Flying Teapot CD and most of the live
    stuff except some of Bataclan and BBC sessions.
    Having heard it about 4 times over - this seems to be correct... Bataclan - except a couple tunes just sounds totally different to me. Win all over the place. So good.

I finally got my copy yesterday, and it's phenomenal! I've had the Decal cd of Flying Teapot for many years, but it's going in the trash. The remaster of it sounds like a new album. I always thought that it had not been recorded well. Boy, was I wrong. That old cd was just utter shit.

THe live stuff is excellent as well. Sound quality is top notch. The quad mixes are fantastic as well. What a great set!

Thank you for this link. Very interesting, especially the Simon Heyworth interview.

I agree with the lone comment on this interview, "The stereo DVD of You is in 16bit 48K. Not sure how they get 24/96."
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"