Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    It's in the Planet Gong group, not sure how to link ot the individual entry, but search for Brian Abbot.
    Thanks! Found it!

Just freaking out a bit about finding out they are playing Montreal. 5-6 hour road trip, but we're doing it! Saw a couple vids of the new band, they are killer, can't wait till the 22nd!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, current line-up is great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No Daevid (and Gilly), no GonG
    While I might enjoy a band playing some kind of Gong music without Daevid and Gilly, I do think a version of Gong without Daevid is like a version of, just as an example, Roy Harper without Roy Harper. Or Fish without Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, current line-up is great.
    Of course it is! Lot of life left in the Gong band.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

No Daevid (and Gilly), no GonG
    Really dude? Can you have a more close-minded opinion on this? Have you listened to a word about what Daevid stated on this topic, or better yet, the last album? Sorry for this negativity but jeez louise....

I agree, this line up has Daevid's blessing and more importantly the last couple of albums sound like Gong. Of course that position also discounts some excellent Pierre Moerlen albums.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Really dude? Can you have a more close-minded opinion on this? Have you listened to a word about what Daevid stated on this topic, or better yet, the last album? Sorry for this negativity but jeez louise....
    Can you please read the first part of my post as not to take this last part out of its context, please??

No offence meant to Kavus& his Co.... and yes I'm aware of Daevid's post-mortem wish, and I respect it, despite how you twist my words.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree, this line up has Daevid's blessing and more importantly the last couple of albums sound like Gong. Of course that position also discounts some excellent Pierre Moerlen albums.
    Again, as I said Shamal is as equally good as Espresso and Gazeuse and IMHO form a Gong trilogy of its own... It's justy out of the RGI boxset, none of those three belong in there (if any other album should be part of RGI, it should be Camembert, not Shamal
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Can you please read the first part of my post as not to take this last part out of its context, please??

No offence meant to Kavus& his Co.... and yes I'm aware of Daevid's post-mortem wish, and I respect it, despite how you twist my words.
    OK, I read the first part of your post, and I see that it has nothing to do with "No Daevid" thing. So how am I exactly twisting your words Hughes? I'm not looking to pick a fight nor do I usually do that shit, but I just find it disrespectful to the current incarnation of this band who are out there carrying the torch (as it were) for OUR benefit, but you seem to go in the whole thing with your eyes closed and your fingers plugging your ears because Daevid's missing? This was never intended to be part of the Trilogy either if that is what you mean? I am in no way trying to twist your words - maybe I'm still not understanding them?

PS - music is music - FUCK labels.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

GONG is cancelled in Montreal...? If true can someone suggest an alternative for TH nite. Already have a hotel etc. Are there any jazz clubs or maybe I should be going to a blues festival?

Again, as I said Shamal is as equally good as Espresso and Gazeuse and IMHO form a Gong trilogy of its own... It's justy out of the RGI boxset, none of those three belong in there (if any other album should be part of RGI, it should be Camembert, not Shamal
    Oh I agree that Camembert should be in a RGI focused box ahead of Shamal.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    GONG is cancelled in Montreal...? If true can someone suggest an alternative for TH nite. Already have a hotel etc. Are there any jazz clubs or maybe I should be going to a blues festival?
    I'm going to Aux 33 Tours and Fresson Rock. Kids will be off to Brandy Melville.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    OK, I read the first part of your post, and I see that it has nothing to do with "No Daevid" thing. So how am I exactly twisting your words Hughes? I'm not looking to pick a fight nor do I usually do that shit, but I just find it disrespectful to the current incarnation of this band who are out there carrying the torch (as it were) for OUR benefit, but you seem to go in the whole thing with your eyes closed and your fingers plugging your ears because Daevid's missing? This was never intended to be part of the Trilogy either if that is what you mean? I am in no way trying to twist your words - maybe I'm still not understanding them?

PS - music is music - FUCK labels.
    Now that you've reread my full post: obviously, my "No Daevid , no GonG" is about the 70's (and RGI and the boxset to come), not the 10's version of the band.

And when I speak about Shamal, Espersso and Gazeuse, like many GonGheads, we would've preferred that they'd be called Pierre Moerlen's Gong like their later album would be.

Not trying to pick a fight, you say?? I'd like to believe you, but if anyone should've, maybe it should've been Kavus, not you.

BTW, if I was a GonG addict it was until Zero to Infinitea... not really a fan of Acid Motherhood, 2032, ICU and Rejoice but I own all four, and think Rejoice is the best of the lot.
    I saw them roughly 15 times (inluding the Unconvention in A'dam) between 95 and 05, but only twice since 2032 (but once, I travelled to London's RFH to see Giraudy & Hillage's return to the band >> was fairly disappointed)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    Goblin is at the Fairmount in Montreal on November 22nd. Performing the Suspiria soundtrack with a screening of the movie.

1) The biggest news for me is that they have the You Quad mixes
    back in the day one of the three was mixed for those with 4 ears, so it was thought why not give it a buff and polish and include it...

2)"Mike Howlett's response on hearing Simon Heyworth's re-mastered 'Shamal' for the Universal Gong box-ette release.
    "Just finished listening through and it sounds brilliant! I love what you have done to the bottom end - bass is much warmer but the kick hasn’t got boomy or lost it’s punch and the top end has retained presence - excellent!
    Cheers Mike"

3)Gong live etc :
    - Salle Bataclan Paris May 1973
    - Edinburgh Festival September 1973
    - Club Arc-en-ciel, Roanne August 1973
    - BBC Studios January 1974
    - Marquee Club September 1975
    - 2 tracks from the Manor Studio…

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    back in the day one of the three was mixed for those with 4 ears, so it was thought why not give it a buff and polish and include it...

2)"Mike Howlett's response on hearing Simon Heyworth's re-mastered 'Shamal' for the Universal Gong box-ette release.
    "Just finished listening through and it sounds brilliant! I love what you have done to the bottom end - bass is much warmer but the kick hasn’t got boomy or lost it’s punch and the top end has retained presence - excellent!
    Cheers Mike"

3)Gong live etc :
    WOW ! Whatever the final version will be, this looks more and more attractive... too much spoilers and announcements but the question is WHEN will this boxset be available at last. Anyone knows ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    WOW ! Whatever the final version will be, this looks more and more attractive... too much spoilers and announcements but the question is WHEN will this boxset be available at last. Anyone knows ?
    2032 !!

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    2032 !!
    That's nice ! Leave me plenty of time to raise the funds. I suppose it will be released in KZ*Ultra+Codec515 18 channel interactive FTP (Flying TP) format ? If not, I'll pass...

It will be sold exclusivley on Planet Gong which can only be reached by a Flying Teapot Taxi

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

Cheers Mike"

3)Gong live etc :
    I seem to recall you are one of those who do not care much for surround mixes (which I fully understand but don't agree with )
    What has changed regarding this mix?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I seem to recall you are one of those who do not care much for surround mixes (which I fully understand but don't agree with )
    What has changed regarding this mix?

Its not that I don’t care for surround
    I do like it when used creatively
    But often dislike taking a classic album and dissecting it across multiple channels in a formulate manner
    in this case it was done by the band in their heyday
    So the spirit of the times is still there so its authentic

Box set news:
    All remastered :
    Flying teapot
    Angels egg
    You
    Shamal ( all with bonus tracks)
    Bataclan 1973
    Roanne 1973
    Edinburgh 1973
    The Marquee 1975
    Hyde park1974
    You (5.1 mix )
    Plus more. . . . . . :-)

This is from Brian Abbott, on Planet Gong FB page

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Box set news:
    All remastered :
    Flying teapot
    Angels egg
    You
    Shamal ( all with bonus tracks)
    Bataclan 1973
    Roanne 1973
    Edinburgh 1973
    The Marquee 1975
    Hyde park1974
    You (5.1 mix )
    Plus more. . . . . . :-)
    This has AUTOBUY written so big on it that you can see it from space.

Wonder who remixed You for 5.1??? It's not Saint Steven

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk