Thread: Tandoori Cassette (w Barrimore Barlow)... anyone heard it ?

Tandoori Cassette (w Barrimore Barlow)... anyone heard it ?

The only album by them that I saw mentioned anywhere was called "Angel Talk". Anyone ever heard this band? (links?). Couldn't find anything on Youtube. I remember reading an article where Barrimore Barlow was saying he thought it was great music, and that he was psyched to be a part of it.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Yup ... loved them one of my favourite bands of all time
    Saw them twice at the Marquee in London. Barrie Barlow (drums) , Ronnie Leahy (keys) , Zal Cleminson (gtr) Charlie Tumahai (bass) amazing stuff.
    Rehearsed at Barrie's some years later with ASIA and asked what happened he has a video recording of the band (which I thoroughly enjoyed) but he
    won't release anything due to inter band disputes... great shame they were one of the rising stars of the time without doubt :-)

Saw them at the Fulham Greyhound pub London many moons ago. There was a handful of punters in the audience which was sad.
    I met Barrie a couple of years ago and told him i had seen them and enjoyed it very much and he seemed very pleased.
    He also mentioned he had hundreds of copies of a single they had recorded but had not been issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonta Jitty View Post
    He also mentioned he had hundreds of copies of a single they had recorded but had not been issued.
    Most interesting ...I always felt Angel Talk didn't do them justice sadly ....
    Zal Cleminson was on fire.... as I remember they were all wearing some kind of Afghan tribal outfits !

Can you describe what they were like? What you saw live etc?? I'm highly curious.... I enjoy Barlow's playing a lot. Don't know anything about this band.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Funny... I had just planned to post a similar query. I have never heard anything by the group but based on the membership it sounds very cool!

Never heard it, but I remember Barlow's interview with Modern Drummer in the mid 80's where he seemed much prouder of this band than his work with Tull.

^^^^^^^^^^
    I remember that interview; I think he said they were similar to Tears For Fears, and I thought he
    came across as bitter due to their lack of success.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Never heard it, but I remember Barlow's interview with Modern Drummer in the mid 80's where he seemed much prouder of this band than his work with Tull.
    "Musician says his latest project is best thing he's ever done" interview shock horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    "Musician says his latest project is best thing he's ever done" interview shock horror!
    To be honest I think it was .... :-)

From what i remember from that one gig of theirs was it was totally different from Tull. Very modern, almost bordering on post-punk New wave, with much empasis on Barlowe's contrapuntal abilities. Lots of fractured, abrasive guitar work from Zal.
    Anyone expecting a semblance of the Jethro Tull sound would have been sorely disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Vonta Jitty View Post
    Anyone expecting a semblance of the Jethro Tull sound would have been sorely disappointed
    True VJ and I'm thinking anyone who loved King Crimson would have loved it :-)

How about the band Tallis feat(Barlow, Palmer and Evan)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    How about the band Tallis feat(Barlow, Palmer and Evan)
    Dee Palmer's band featuring Barlow and Glascock in Tallis Mark I (who recorded just a single track)

In Tallis Mark II there was only John Evan more or less guesting on one track (a Mozart Piano concerto) (recorded an Album which was never released)

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    To be honest I think it was .... :-)
    I'm glad Barlow seems to have arrived at a more positive take on Tull in recent years, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I'm glad Barlow seems to have arrived at a more positive take on Tull in recent years, though.
    Being a bit of a Tull nut, i asked him about his relationship with Ian Anderson and from his response it was clear it is all water under the bridge.