Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes' Jon Davison plays Rush with Foo Fighters- New!

I looked for the guy afterwards to thank him but I couldn't find him unfortunately. He said he was going to the front of the stage, I hung out back by the soundboard.

I thought the crowd was really terrific, everyone was so friendly, there wasn't any pushing and shoving once the show started or when Grohl came down the long runway in the middle of the floor on his throne every now and then. It helps that the band puts on a great show, the production values were top-notch after they sorted out a little roughness in the sound after the first song. It was loud but not deafening.

Not a Foo fan, but Grohl repeatedly does cool stuff like this
    He's a *total* music geek, he's really living the dream, isn't he? I'll never forget the look on his face after he and Stevie Nicks sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, it was a look of total awe that said "Holy shit! I'm on stage singing a duet with Stevie effin' Nicks! DAMN!!!". Note: he wouldn't have said "effin'", he dropped a ton of F-bombs throughout.

BTW, I can't recommend Grohl's documentary Sound City enough. Even if you're not a Nirvana or Foo Fighters fan, the history of that sadly gone recording studio and the story Grohl tells is fantastic.
    ...or you could love

Grohl is a fantastic guy--but he has been known to kick assholes out of his concerts--right from the stage----this seems to make for well behaved concert goers now.

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    Speaking of Foo Fighters, I think Dave Grohl's direction of "Sonic Highways" and "Studio City" films were amazing and very, very well done
    Sonic Highways is in heavy rotation on my CD player now
    Agreed, I got a lot of enjoyment out of both films.

Thanks for the concert review, I really enjoyed reading it.

Davros Grohl.

It doubles as a PortaPotty.

Thanks SteveSly, appreciate that.

Davros Grohl
    EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! (I loved the first episode of the new season of Doctor Who after not liking Peter Capaldi's first season).
    ...or you could love

Yes singer? I always thought his last name isn't "Davidson".
    That later guy is professional parrot cover singer. Next time he will probably cover Michael Jackson or Jay-Z...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I looked for the guy afterwards to thank him but I couldn't find him unfortunately. He said he was going to the front of the stage, I hung out back by the soundboard.

I thought the crowd was really terrific, everyone was so friendly, there wasn't any pushing and shoving once the show started or when Grohl came down the long runway in the middle of the floor on his throne every now and then. It helps that the band puts on a great show, the production values were top-notch after they sorted out a little roughness in the sound after the first song. It was loud but not deafening.

He's a *total* music geek, he's really living the dream, isn't he? I'll never forget the look on his face after he and Stevie Nicks sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, it was a look of total awe that said "Holy shit! I'm on stage singing a duet with Stevie effin' Nicks! DAMN!!!". Note: he wouldn't have said "effin'", he dropped a ton of F-bombs throughout.

BTW, I can't recommend Grohl's documentary Sound City enough. Even if you're not a Nirvana or Foo Fighters fan, the history of that sadly gone recording studio and the story Grohl tells is fantastic.
    Sound City is fantastic.

I just don't get why Grohl has to drop F bombs every other word. I totally respect what he is doing, especially his respect for prog, classic rock, preserving history of music, etc., but his language is over the top IMO.

Yeah, I sorta feel that way too. An occasional "Fuck yeah, that rocked!!!" is cool but he also sounds a little bit like a stereotypical Spinal Tap-ish character too.
    ...or you could love

Sammy Hagar with VH back in the day was hysterical for the f-bombing. He almost literally came out after the first song and said "Fuck, how he fuck are we fucking doing the fuck tonight fuck!" And so it went...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Pretty cool intro speel from Taylor. He and Jon grew up together.

There's a funny bit too.

"We tried to learn a Yes song and ran out of time, they are too fu&*#@g hard!" - Dave Grohl

Jon kinda Yes-es it up with some vocal embellishments.... Check it out.
    I love it that they can do whatever they want. They don't care. They're the Foo Fighters! Taylor Hawkins is such a great drummer. I saw him play with Alanis on her first gig (it was her album showcase party just before her first album came out). Taylor was on drums and I knew from that night that he was going to be a major player. One of these days I want to work with that guy... and Grohl! Haha. But who wouldn't? I went to their studio once in LA. Cool place. Lots of Neves, amps and drums everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Sound City is fantastic.
    Definitely. A must-see for any musician and for any fan of those artists that recorded there. I wish they did a documentary like that on every big studio that's gone away. I was fortunate to have sat in on a session at Sound City once. Cool place! Amazing history.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sammy Hagar with VH back in the day was hysterical for the f-bombing.
    Well, yeah. He was kind of the guy who pushed for VH to have an album NAMED for the f-bomb.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)