Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Wilson Resurfaces...with Steve Hackett???

Ray Wilson Resurfaces...with Steve Hackett???

WTF? On some selected European dates per SH's Facebook mailbag?

Sounds a bit contrived, if you ask me. Now, if Ant. Phillips were to play some dates with SH, that would have some very valid MUSICAL reasons behind it.

This to me is very silly and almost circus like. I didn't even follow the stupid '96 album.

Good for you! A little righteous indignation can be very satisfying from time to time. For me it's bread. Do you know it's up to $4 a loaf where I live? Geez!!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    This to me is very silly and almost circus like.
    Why?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not sure if the association makes any sense, but it says a lot about which ex-Genesis members are still interested in playing the band's music.

Maybe it is just that Steve pays attention and realizes that Ray has a great voice? Surely you don't think it is some money making scheme or something like that? I mean, we are talking about Ray here. Not exactly money in the bank or a wellspring of notoriety as far as his history with Genesis is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Maybe it is just that Steve pays attention and realizes that Ray has a great voice? Surely you don't think it is some money making scheme or something like that? I mean, we are talking about Ray here. Not exactly money in the bank or a wellspring of notoriety as far as his history with Genesis is concerned.
    I mean yeah, that's what surprising to me. Steve don't do junk (except for the the POS that Lane, Downes and Howe shoved down his throat). Apparently, Wilson has tried to tour playing the music of Genesis featuring John Payne (R) (TM) thing as well, in the past? I don't know. I'll have to look him up on youtube this afternoon? PG or PC sounding?

What, exactly, is the problem with Ray Wilson performing with Steve Hackett?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like Ray's voice. In fact, I would like to hear his take on some of the songs that Steve just recorded.

I would really like to hear him sing ...the Richie Havens song on the second Hackett lp...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    I like Ray's voice. In fact, I would like to hear his take on some of the songs that Steve just recorded.

I would really like to hear him sing ...the Richie Havens song on the second Hackett lp...
    yeah he has a good voice. Very warm. There were 2 Richie havens songs on 'Please Dont Touch', but 'Icarus Ascending' is the really good one of the two. Yeah there's a lot of stuff Ray would sound good on, including Icarus Ascending. I think the combo is great, as Steve himself doesn't have a great voice, in my opinion, and Ray does. Would be cool if Ray would join his band for Steve's 'solo' tours, and albums.

I wasn't overly happy with the sound of Ray's voice on CAS. I looked at a few of his performances on the web a while back and he can sing. His concert doing Genesis material was quite good. His concerts with Genesis were also quite good. I think if the effort was put in and a dumbass marketer hadn't sold them on the idea that they were still a stadium act w/o PC, there might still be a Genesis today.

Bring it on Steve, and give some of the other guys a call too!

I know, but it's a new year and I can be optimistic for a couple of hours

Anyone got some more info on which gigs RW will feature? Ooo, I sure hope it is the one I am planning to go to :-). I highly prefer him over Nad Sylvan.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What, exactly, is the problem with Ray Wilson performing with Steve Hackett?
    I got absolutely no problem with it.

I think its "How Can I"
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    yeah he has a good voice. Very warm. There were 2 Richie havens songs on 'Please Dont Touch', but 'Icarus Ascending' is the really good one of the two. Yeah there's a lot of stuff Ray would sound good on, including Icarus Ascending. I think the combo is great, as Steve himself doesn't have a great voice, in my opinion, and Ray does. Would be cool if Ray would join his band for Steve's 'solo' tours, and albums.

Nice to hear about it, I did not have any problems with his voice, in fact, nicer and far better singer than almost any "prog" singer.. His presence in stage was good, I saw CAS a couple of times, venues in Europe were very supportive and full. It was the US that spoil the party.

Certainly Hackett knows a bit more about music and singers than N_Singh

BTW, he has been around all this time, playing with stiltskin and doing solo concerts

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I got absolutely no problem with it.
    The question is more for Mr. Singh.

I just don't understand his comments.

Jon Neudorf
    WTF? On some selected European dates per SH's Facebook mailbag?

Sounds a bit contrived, if you ask me. Now, if Ant. Phillips were to play some dates with SH, that would have some very valid MUSICAL reasons behind it.

This to me is very silly and almost circus like. I didn't even follow the stupid '96 album.
    I don't get this either. I would have no problem with Hackett and Wilson playing together. In fact, I welcome it as Wilson has an excellent voice.

Regards,
    Jon

meimjustalawnmower
    The question is more for Mr. Singh.

I just don't understand his comments.
    Yeah, I figured as much. Just sayin' that I like the idea. Even if you take away his (Ray's) experience with Genesis, it's cool. There's always gonna be someone who can't accept the Ray Wilson thing for one reason or another. Let 'em have their opinion. For me, Hackett has never disappointed. I trust that he won't this time either.

Much prefer Ray over Nad Sylvan. I think it would be awesome to have Ray on the whole tour.

Completely agree, Martin.

Ray Wilson performing with Steve Hackett
    splendid idea. that is all.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Damn, I misthought the subject line and came up with Ray Weston! It sounded like a great idea and I couldn't get the negativity at all.

Ray Wilson? Why not? Would people object if it was the guy from Big Big Train?

I looked at the guy's website. It seems he put out a symphonic album with an orchestra in Germany covering Genesis' music, which gets the most prominence on the initial web page. Seems like he's milking his tenuous connection to the band for all that it's worth, I guess he should, shouldn't he? Why not?

My initial thought was this is more gimmick than musical substance on SH's part, which is surprising. But, the more I've looked into it, perhaps not. Ah, what the hell, go see what Chester's doing, these days.

My initial thought was this is more gimmick than musical substance on SH's part, which is surprising.
    For the third time, WHY?!!!

Why is this more gimmick than having John Wetton or Nad Sylvan sing?

For the third time, WHY?!!!

Why is this more gimmick than having John Wetton or Nad Sylvan sing?
    Because it has a band member on it that he never ever played with, more "official band members", better for promoters/marketing. My initial thought was, could the be a marketer's idea more than a viable musical one? You know, like how adding the musically useless Tony Kaye helped make "Cinema" into "Yes", from the accountant and lawyer's perspective? But, after looking into it a bit, I retract what I said, it will most likely have no impact on ticket sales, I imagine that most Genesis fans who no idea who this guy is, particularly those who are partisan to "The Musical Box to "Inside and Out"--like me. If anything, it seems like Wilson is trying to leverage his small time with "the band" , as represented by that OTHER Genesis album many people have never heard of or own (1st one is always the 1st one, or whatever the 3,044th repackaging of "From Genesis to Revelation" maybe called these days), into as many Genesis related gigs as possible. Like I said, can't blame him.
    Last edited by N_Singh; 01-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Would you feel the same way if it was Anthony Phillips?