Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Wilson Resurfaces...with Steve Hackett???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Would you feel the same way if it was Anthony Phillips?
    Easy. Phillips has a longtime history of producing his unique style of progressive music, Steve said he has always admired his work. I would love to hear guitar duets between him and SH, it would be far more MUSICALLY satisfying to judge their contrasts (maybe Steve on classical, Ant on steel string dreadnought)--such a musical coupling would sound very fresh and new--just now Downes and no Brian Lane, please. . I'd to to hear, for example, known Genesis era song with vocals arranged for two guitars--and only two guitars. Like I said, nylon and steel string acoustic--6 string, please. Now that would be a great idea to hear those kind of arrangements, differences in timbre, style, and feel. Of, if with a singer, singer and these two guitars--see how they would arrange the accompaniment and the solos.

It would certainly be something new, experimental, and fresh. I would pay for a small tour of those two, with a different type of singer that DOESN"T sound like PG or PC, maybe Hackett's brother on flute, and if they want fill it out, maybe a string quartet. Now that would be COOL! Well, at least to me.

Why does it matter who Steve Hackett has playing with him? It doesn't. Hackett can ask anyone he wants to record with him or perform with him and the audience has no say in the matter other than not to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Why does it matter who Steve Hackett has playing with him? It doesn't. Hackett can ask anyone he wants to record with him or perform with him and the audience has no say in the matter other than not to show up.

QFMFT!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Agreed. Ray wilson is a GREAT singer. Loved his contribution to RPWL. Good match with Steve Hackett.

Robert

Great singer...his career with Stiltskin is commendable! Is he singing on the 1st or 2nd leg of the tour ?

Just found the info: just 2 gigs will be with Ray Wilson, one in Glasgow and one in München.

Is Ray even singing with Steve or is he an opening act?

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    Agreed. Ray wilson is a GREAT singer. Loved his contribution to RPWL. Good match with Steve Hackett.

Robert
    Yep. Totally agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    WTF?
    This to me is very silly and almost circus like. I didn't even follow the stupid '96 album.
    well maybe that is part of the issue. Did you listen to it and give it a shot? It's not that bad.

Banned
    Wow, it would be great if he was on the US tour. Since we never got to see that Genesis tour in the US, it would be my first chance to see him live.

I'm only surprised it's taken this long for them to work together.

Sounds like an interesting pairing. Kinda like if Peter Banks had Benoit David sing at some of his shows.

Seriously - I would love for Ray to come over and do some shows here in the US with Steve.

Did a search on YouTube - seems Ray has been doing alot of Genesis songs as well as Peter Gabriel solo songs in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Sounds like an interesting pairing. Kinda like if Peter Banks had Benoit David sing at some of his shows.

Seriously - I would love for Ray to come over and do some shows here in the US with Steve.

Did a search on YouTube - seems Ray has been doing alot of Genesis songs as well as Peter Gabriel solo songs in concert.

Wow. I've never heard a song start so badly yet end so wonderfully, beautifully, and majestically. it started out like amateur hour, like the guy was doing stop-time with no accents, so it was just literally Stop. No Time. His voice sounded hoarse. Does he normally sing like this? This song probably should have been sung in his falsetto register. I am reminded why I prefer PC over PG as a singer. Collins could hit the upper registers so wonderfully before he became a proverbial *Belter*. He had such beautiful expressive qualities when he sang ever so-softly. This guy clearly sounds like PG more than PC in this video. I.e., a *belter*. I can't imagine PG singing Ripples. No way. He would have butchered it. But I can easily imagine and prefer PC singing *Carpet Crawlers* or the *the New Jerusalem* or the conclusion of *the Musical Box*. His versions are superior IMHO to PG's. (*runs from tomatoes taking missile form*). But there's no getting around it: PC could always do what PG did, but PG could never do what PC can do.

But, man, what a lovely instrumental break. The two string players in the back--great, great addition. Really well done from that point on.

Musing a bit about PG and PC: what does it mean when the drummer is a superior singer, with greater range, tonal control and expression, than the actual singer, who started out as a failed drummer?
    Last edited by N_Singh; 01-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Hackett and Wilson should sound great together.

Wow. I've never heard a song start so badly yet end so wonderfully, beautifully, and majestically. it started out like amateur hour, like the guy was doing stop-time with no accents, so it was just literally Stop. No Time. His voice sounded hoarse. Does he normally sing like this?
    Can't agree;l I thought this was brilliant, start to finish. Enough difference to make it his own, yet plenty reverent to the song, the melody and the arrangement. I've just begun liking him again, on the basis of this...

THanks for posting!

Sounds all right to me. Do it do it do it, till you are satisfied, whatever it is.

Banned
    That 45 minute vid with Wilson and the orchestra is red hot! Band is real tight and the orchestra doesn't sound forced or unnecessary. And the "Calling all Stations" sounds really good.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    That 45 minute vid with Wilson and the orchestra is red hot! Band is real tight and the orchestra doesn't sound forced or unnecessary. And the "Calling all Stations" sounds really good.
    Ok, I watched the entire video, also. That wasn't bad. The songs I didn't know, I presume they were on the '96 album. Didn't grab me, but they weren't terrible. I was expecting like Invisible Touch level terrible. Tell you what, I actually enjoyed his version of *Follow You Follow Me*--the Genesis version is kind of saccharine bland to me, but he made it frolicking and lively, sort of like the long lost companion to the "Lake Shore Drive" song (anyone from Chicago knows that song )

I wonder if he wrote the arrangements incorporating the Ensemble, they were tastefully done.

Did some more research on this guy--apparently *Trick of the Tail* is his favorite Genesis album. So, his heart is definitely in the right place.

I can't be hating on this guy. I apologize for any comments I made about this guy playing with Steve. They were ignorantly made.

I'd still love to see SH and AP tour with some classical musicians, though. That would be a treat and a half.

Screw what anyone thinks, I love "Calling All Stations," and these new arrangements prove to me that the original songs were great, in any form.

Banned
    Because it has a band member on it that he never ever played with, more "official band members", better for promoters/marketing. My initial thought was, could the be a marketer's idea more than a viable musical one? You know, like how adding the musically useless Tony Kaye helped make "Cinema" into "Yes", from the accountant and lawyer's perspective? But, after looking into it a bit, I retract what I said, it will most likely have no impact on ticket sales, I imagine that most Genesis fans who no idea who this guy is, particularly those who are partisan to "The Musical Box to "Inside and Out"--like me. If anything, it seems like Wilson is trying to leverage his small time with "the band" , as represented by that OTHER Genesis album many people have never heard of or own (1st one is always the 1st one, or whatever the 3,044th repackaging of "From Genesis to Revelation" maybe called these days), into as many Genesis related gigs as possible. Like I said, can't blame him.
    I thought Cinema was changed into Yes when Jon Anderson was added?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I thought Cinema was changed into Yes when Jon Anderson was added?
    I still can't believe what a bad rap CAS gets. I loved what Tony and Mike came up with sans Phil. A far better album then we Can't Dance. Put any other name on it and the naysayers would significantly be diminished... imho..
    Comparing Genesis to Revelations is just silly, CAS sold pretty well considering the music industry was starting it's decline sales wise and the tour did very well in Europe in arenas! I think the theatre tour of the usa would have done well had they carried through with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I still can't believe what a bad rap CAS gets. I loved what Tony and Mike came up with sans Phil. A far better album then we Can't Dance. Put any other name on it and the naysayers would significantly be diminished... imho..
    Comparing Genesis to Revelations is just silly, CAS sold pretty well considering the music industry was starting it's decline sales wise and the tour did very well in Europe in arenas! I think the theatre tour of the usa would have done well had they carried through with it.
    Why did you quote me? My quote had nothing to do with your comment.

It's probably time to give CAS another spin. My reaction to it when it came out wasn't hate, or even dislike, it was... nothing. It was like audio chinese food, 2 minutes after it was over I couldn't even remember what I had heard. It just seemed bland and pointless. I'd rather be moved to hate an album then just dismiss it. Anyway, I'm curious to see if I feel stronger about it on a new listen.

For the record, I always thought Ray was a fine singer though.

I still think CAS is the strongest Genesis album post-Duke. Though if Steve is looking for material that might benefit from a "revisited" treatment (i.e. new recordings and tinkering with arrangements), I wouldn't mind hearing what he and Ray might do with something like "The Dividing Line".