Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you get chills from new music?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I was grinning like a fool at Rabbit Rabbit tonight
    Jealous...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Yes, Steven Wilson and echolyn have done it for me this year

District 97,Moetar,Half-Past Four,Persephone's Dream and Bent Knee have all given me all I could want from this unlimited genre.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The first time I heard Moorea Dickason & MoeTar, a pattern was set that hasn't altered one bit yet. Her talent (& that of the band as well) is just staggering to me.

"To me" means the same as imo imo.
    I just got done listening to Entropy Of The Century and some other clips on You Tube. I'm in love with Moorea. She is so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    This track in particular and the cd as a whole just slays me.Fennesz-Becs is the cd, Liminality is this track.

This sounds awful. Distortion @ 35 on a ten scale. I would just remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Yes, Steven Wilson and echolyn have done it for me this year
    to each his own, of course.... but I fail to even remotely see/imagine how this would be possible for me... unless replacing chills by yawns...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    to each his own, of course.... but I fail to even remotely see/imagine how this would be possible for me... unless replacing chills by yawns...
    I found the Echolyn record fairly good, at least better than the previous one. Some of the songs were good, don't know about chills though...
    Steven Wilson...that's an entirely different story...his music is mostly very bland...
    But I guess that's off topic.

Suspended
    I can understand some people not liking Steven Wilson's music, but whatever other criticisms could be leveled at it, i can't see how it could ever be called bland.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I can understand some people not liking Steven Wilson's music, but whatever other criticisms could be leveled at it, i can't see how it could ever be called bland.
    Subjective...i suppose if you're looking to be barraged with non-stop notes and no space then echolyn and SW are "bland" for example..? - personally i think E and SW are the best bottomline active SONGwriters going today.

They's got some splainin/defending to do...if they want.

Is the OP asking about new music, as in produced in the last few years? Or music that is new to me?

If it is the former, probably a bit less chills than the 70's, but not by a lot.

Magma
    Steve Wilson
    Wolverine - Communication Lost
    Pain of Salvation - Perfect Element, Remedy Lane
    Steve Coleman - Functional Arrhythmias, Synovial Joints
    Micahael Fromanek - Small Places

Anglagard, Deus ex Machina, Aranis, Yugen.

Have all delivered various amounts of chills.

If it the latter, then I'd say that music that is new to me causes me more chills than the 70's.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have discussed the blandness here before. It's mostly to do with the chosen sounds. It's also fairly dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Subjective...i suppose if you're looking to be barraged with non-stop notes and no space then echolyn and SW are "bland" for example..? - personally i think E and SW are the best bottomline active SONGwriters going today.

They's got some splainin/defending to do...if they want.
    Yep, it's subjective.
    I don't think it's related to songwriting, rather to the sounds.
    On the other hand, the new Echolyn I don't find bland. It's definitely more colourful.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Yep, it's subjective.
    I don't think it's related to songwriting, rather to the sounds.
    On the other hand, the new Echolyn I don't find bland. It's definitely more colourful.
    Fair enough...if i try hard enough i can pick anything apart/have criticisms too even with what i really really like...

I still get them from new music, yes. Not nearly as much as when I was in my teens and 20's and ALL music was so new and exciting to me. I think now it's difficult to find something that is so completely new and different to me that it gives me that same excitement. Or maybe it's an age thing, I don't know. I really don't get the same feeling from those old 70's bands that I did in my 20's when I was hearing them for the first 20 or 30 times. They still sound great, but time and familiarity tend to take that excitement away, but still leave appreciation and nostalgia. At least, for me anyway.

But yeah, new music CAN still do that for me and does relatively often. I do agree with the previous poster that I think now I really have to dig into an album for a while to get those moments. Not always, but more often than not these days. That said, the Flower Kings gave me those chills for years, Neal Morse still does (though not his last couple albums so much). Present did that to me at Nearfest, as did Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum. And Banco.......oh my, that first Nearfest performance was one chill after another (of course, they were a 70's band, and were pretty much playing only that music when I saw them, but I'd never heard them before at that point, so to me they were brand new). More recently I would say Beardfish have done that with their last album. Anyway, yeah, it still happens but it's not quite as often or immediate as it was in my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Fair enough...if i try hard enough i can pick anything apart/have criticisms too even with what i really really like...
    It depends on what is meant with "picking apart". As I understand it that is a process into which goes a detailed analysis of something. Maybe "analysis" is too inteligent a word for it but that's the first one that comes to mind.
    With Wilson the thing is that I don't have to try hard enough to see fairly fast what I don't like. And that goes with the fact that I think he's a decent singer and his albums have interesting concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I still am blown away from music I first heard back in the 70s. And, since then, I have continued to look for new music that would excite me in the same way. But, since the 80s, that hasn't happened. I have heard new stuff that I enjoy greatly, but it doesn't reach the heights of the early material.
    I concur, the same for me.
    Dude, this is not about quality of music. This is about our age.
    Have you been blown away during your first sex in the 70s?
    Does sex reach the heights of your early sex experience?
    Seriously: I'm just a half joking.
    I can predict my daughter that first heard Porcupine Tree and Ayreon when she was 8-10, will say the same in 40-50 years about them and music in 2040th.

What about the 2015 version of Spectral Mornings? Does that count as new music? Because if so, when I first listened to it I literally did get chills and continue to do so when I listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    this is not about quality of music. This is about our age.
    This is about both, I think. If temporal fatigue renders you unwilling to discover and submit to the force of "new", then yes - age is a primary factor at that. Speaking as someone who discovered yore music when I was quite young (my general "serious" interest in rock was triggered by artists from a generation before me), I can only say that reaching a point in time when contemporary music once again got wildly exciting (late 80s and on) was the TRUE experience in itself. I certainly hope that if I ever turn 70 I'll still be capable of letting myself submit to what's happening there and then - if it's any good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This is about both, I think. If temporal fatigue renders you unwilling to discover and submit to the force of "new", then yes - age is a primary factor at that. Speaking as someone who discovered yore music when I was quite young (my general "serious" interest in rock was triggered by artists from a generation before me), I can only say that reaching a point in time when contemporary music once again got wildly exciting (early 90's and on) was the TRUE experience in itself. I certainly hope that if I ever turn 70 I'll still be capable of letting myself submit to what's happening there and then - if it's any good.
    agreed (except for the date of reprise of "wildly exciting"... Late 80's were the worst for me)

But I'd stress a different word in the last sentence... probably because I'm not as optimistic as you are.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love when this happens. Sometimes it happens with albums that are a year or two old which I haven't spun in a while. A perfect example is "Maelstrom" from Stian Westerhus & Pale Horses. I was playing that on the plane a few months back and as the opening track, "Don't Say That You Care," reached its crescendo, I got the full chill effect.

Yes
    Aquaserge
    Normal Love
    Secret Chiefs 3
    Nik Bartch's Ronin
    Make a Rising

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Yes
    Aquaserge
    Normal Love
    Secret Chiefs 3
    Nik Bartch's Ronin
    Make a Rising
    I assume you don't mean the band Yes, you mean you still get chills from the below. Normal Love, Make A Rising, & Nik Bartsch Ronin would all make my list.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Steven Wilson...that's an entirely different story...his music is mostly very bland...
    Yeah... so bland...

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Neal Morse...pretty much every release of his has a few spine tingling moments for me. The man still delivers the goods!