Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get chills from new music?

The new echolyn, SW, KC (Letters' solo off the top of my head), Everything Everything, Sanguine Hum, Third Eye Blind, Tim Berne, Steve Coleman, Vennart, and Vijay Iyer albums have done so for me...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yep. Getting the time to be really open to the music to that extent is a bit of a challenge, though.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Not to pick on your fine choices, but just get chuckles a bit at the thought of referencing music now almost 20 years old as 'new'.
    Yeah, I know, but the original poster specifically mentioned music since the 80s so mine qualifies. I did list Panic Room who are contemporary.

Not very often these days. The music has to be really special for me to be moved so. So those moments are few and far between. But past glories still do that to me. An example is the closing section of Vandringar i Vilsenhet by Anglagard. The quiet slow buildup with flute, military type drumming then voice mellotron explodes into dark bombastic power at 10.42 into the song, then quiets down again at the end with the voice mellotron tapes dragging which gives it a creepy sound. What a moment! Another example would also be the closing section of Seven Stones by Genesis. "The old man's guide is chance..."...then the interlude between Tony Banks' mellotron and Steve Hackett's guitar is powerful, overwhelming beauty that also brings chills and tears. Start this one at 3.42. More examples I could give, but these moments touch all of us, but each is a personal experience. And of course, what's one man's pleasure is another's poison.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Certainly I still get chills from 70's Genesis, Yes, and a few others---but Steven Wilson's latest albums have also given me chills---maybe not as intense as a Bank Hackett interplay or Howe at the end of Ritual---and so many other moments---but it's the closest I get.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Certainly I still get chills from 70's Genesis, Yes, and a few others---but Steven Wilson's latest albums have also given me chills---maybe not as intense as a Bank Hackett interplay or Howe at the end of Ritual---and so many other moments---but it's the closest I get.
    ...and speaking of Steven Wilson, I still get a sort of shiver every time I hear "Photographs in Black and White" by No-man - the bit towards the end where it changes from a major to a minor key.

Yeah, I do.

Most immediate ones that come to mind over the (recent) years:

Helios - Paper Tiger
    Ben Frost - Killshot
    Epic45 - In All the Empty Houses
    Tangerine Dream - Madagasmala
    Maudlin of the Well - Interlude #3
    Bruce Hornsby - Here We Are Again (best sci-fi love song that didn't involve capes or mellotrons)
    Elbow - Lippy Kids
    Julia Holter - Hello Stranger (cover of a much older song, but her take is pretty much her own)
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Phthisis
    Walter Becker - Bob is Not Your Uncle

Truth be told, if I look at my purchases then most of my buys are new music, not old releases or reissues.

My hope is that I never stop getting excited about new music. Those shivers are just too awesome to lose
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, Mars Volta and Amplifier both give me the upstanding hair thing in a way that no one since VDGG have done.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah, I do.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Phthisis
    Shit, I just KNEW we had something more in common. Don't tell me... There's something about Kihlstedt's voice when it tends to cracking up during full force, contrasting against that staccato backing - am I correct?!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Shit, I just KNEW we had something more in common. Don't tell me... There's something about Kihlstedt's voice when it tends to cracking up during full force, contrasting against that staccato backing - am I correct?!
    Oh yes indeed. Literally gets me out of my seat each time. Her voice, the added instrumental layering atop the staccato with each subsequent phrase, the incredibly effective but understated percussion hits...it isn't necessarily the most representative SGM track for me (that'd be the Donkey Headed Adversary that immediately precedes it) but it is one that always captures my full attention. Lovely, lovely stuff.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

This track in particular and the cd as a whole just slays me.Fennesz-Becs is the cd, Liminality is this track.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Ah yeah...if I'd thought about it more, 'Glide' from Black Sea would've made the list too...Fennesz does wonderful stuff. Great call, walt

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pretty much all the time, I buy a lot of new music, last was Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss. Reve General were superb at RIO so I'm looking forward to spinning their new disc when I get home.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

These New Puritans
    Neal Morse
    The Flower Kings
    Moon Safari
    Deerhoof
    Steven Wilson
    The Tangent
    Big Big Train
    Anna Calvi
    Julia Holter
    Chelsea Wolfe
    Magic Pie
    Battles
    The Dear Hunter
    Transatlantic
    Kaipa

Many chills from the above artists.
    The Prog Corner

The latest from Bent Knee did the trick.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Just got the new Echolyn, playing for the first time and the song 'Carried Home' gave me chills. A few songs in fact I find pretty moving.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I get lots o' chills from the Big Big Train. Steven Wilson's latest as well. Lately though I'm getting chills from the song Empire of The Clouds from Iron Maiden's Book Of Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I still am blown away from music I first heard back in the 70s. And, since then, I have continued to look for new music that would excite me in the same way. But, since the 80s, that hasn't happened. I have heard new stuff that I enjoy greatly, but it doesn't reach the heights of the early material.
    I dare say I still do , but this is mostly live, when it happens... and got my shares of emotions (both chills and tears of joy) via Art Zoyd and Tobifree orchestra this w-e in Carmaux...

A lot of my spine chills and goose bumps are when the music gets dramatic or so beautiful that I shiver in delight.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I do, and tears too on occasion
    I guess you mean tears of joy... yes it does happen as well (did a couple of time last w-e in RIO Fest Carmaux >> see just above). Not to mention Circus' Movin'On album in the car while driving through the Gorges Du Tarn route the day after or Osibisa's first two the next days.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Yep. Not as often as I used to in the 60's and 70's though.
    Yup... of course, this is due to the fact that we know the music by heart, so the novelty and surprise is not there anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Absolutely. From where I sit, if you can't find newer music that moves your soul, makes you dance, or sends chills down your spine, you ain't lookin' hard enough.
    mmmhhh!!!... somehow, this is true, but unfortunately all too rare, and paradoxically, all too often in the jazz realm (Dafher Youssef, Ibrahim maalouf, Tigran Hamasyan or Kamasi Washington

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pretty much all the time, I buy a lot of new music, last was Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss. Reve General were superb at RIO so I'm looking forward to spinning their new disc when I get home.
    Actually, this is much rarer for me on newer music in the rock realm (prog or not)... It used to be the case in early Post rock albums (Tarentel, GYBE!).

High hopes for Rêve Général as well, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Originally Posted by bob_32_116

Yep. Not as often as I used to in the 60's and 70's though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup... of course, this is due to the fact that we know the music by heart, so the novelty and surprise is not there anymore
    Well, no. I'm assuming you genuinely misunderstood my post, though I can't see how... I'm saying I do not get moved as often NOW by new music, i.e. music of the 2010's, as I did in the 60's and 70's with music that was new at that time. There are certain songs from that era that still have much the same effect on me now as they did then.

^^

ok, my bad from misreading you

But there is a much larger proportion of 60/70's music that will produce that effect than from any other decades, though I suppose that that 60/710's music has produced less chills than in the 90/00's and 10's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

These give me very tangible spiritual goosebumps pretty reliably -

Sanguine Hum - Day Of Release
    Big Big Train - A Boy in Darkness, Judas Unrepentant, East Coast Racer
    Echolyn - Island, Some Memorial, Messenger of All's Right
    Thieves Kitchen - Of Sparks and Spires

I think you need to be prepared to listen to something several times in close frequency if you want to capture that connection you had to music in your youth when the options were fewer and listening was more concentrated. If you're trying so hard to hear everything out there that you don't give yourself that gift, you might want to reexamine your listening habits.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I think you need to be prepared to listen to something several times in close frequency if you want to capture that connection you had to music in your youth when the options were fewer
    Quite possibly. I don't presume to tell anyone else how they should listen to music, but I think some people are so concerned with checking out everything by every artist who remotely interests them and not missing out on anything that they don't allow themselves to explore the hidden depths in any one piece of music.

Bent Knee's Shiny Eyed Babies did it for me on first listen. I was driving around on back country roads, listening, lots of chills and lots of moments that had me slapping the steering wheel and laughing like a madman. Seriously one of the best things I've heard all year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was grinning like a fool at Rabbit Rabbit tonight
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Doesn’t happen often, but it does indeed happen:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...