Thread: My Morning Jacket

My Morning Jacket

Saw & heared this band for the first time on the Later with Jools Holland show. Just had a read on Wiki and they've been around awhile and they appear to cover quite a range of styles. Any recommendations?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I call their sound indie twang, skirting the line twixt indie density and alt-country whimsy with prodigious amounts of reverb. I found their earlier efforts spotty with some songs a bit too meandering, not unlike early Wilco. But unlike Wilco, they are more adventurous and in my opinion with mixed results.

Evil Urges doesn't tell their whole story but it does showcase their willingness to stretch out and show out. They dabble in all kinds of music (and musical eras) on this album but obviously aren't taking themselves too seriously. To be honest I've only heard but a few songs off Circuital and none of Waterfall. I do still listen to Evil Urges quite a bit though. I rarely listen to Z or It Still Moves being satisfied to hearing just a couple of songs in my MP3 rotation.

My son (17) loves this band - I have to explore on his dime.

A young 20 something kid that worked for me for a while turned me on to them. The only CD I have is their live one, but I like it a lot.

I read a positive review of Waterfall (in Mojo I think) and my interest was piqued, so I bought the album, and I like it a lot. It is quite varied in styles, but they do stretch out quite a bit and I think it would appeal to somebody open to a progressive indie mix. This is the only music of theirs I have heard though.