Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still get chills like you did the first time you heard....?

sourdough advocate

Do you still get chills like you did the first time you heard....?

A few weeks ago, I put Fragile on for the first time in a year or so and as soon as South Side came on, I was transported back to the first time I heard it as a teen. The same thing happened during Heart of the Sunrise. What I'm asking is are there any albums or songs (prog or not) that still give you that same feeling as when you heard them for the first time? I remember playing both those tunes over and over when I first got the record and not being able to wait until I got to school the next day to tell my friends what I'd heard. There are a few other things that give me the same feelings too - PF's More album (I adore the 68 - 72 era), Fountain of Salmacis, Shadow of the Heirophant... I find myself smiling and enjoying these songs/records like it was the first time I heard them.
    Does this happen to anyone else out there?
    When in doubt....

As I get older that happens to me ALL THE TIME. And I don't think it's an effect of nostalgia, it is a new evaluation of how a song or album affects you at this point in your life, and can be a reaffirmation of your original love for that song/album....which I think deepens with age.....I think that is how we find out if a piece truly resonates.

I found myself playing Nude by Camel the other night, and just being floored by how brilliant it was..which I knew when I was 20, but turning 50 in a couple of days, it was like I was hearing it....maybe not like the first time, but with different ears. And they are different ears (with the different brain).

I am always confounded by people I know who talk about the music they liked when they were young and disown it when they 'mature'.

It is funny that you mentioned South Side as that was on an interstitial music disc at Progday this year and I was like "Ooo, wow, that is such a fucking great forgotten gem of a song"....

Hell yes. I can't name the number of bands this is true for me, but let's just say Gentle Giant, Yes, ELP, Area, Banco, and a host of others fit that bill for me. Sometimes I know I can't play a particular album at a particular time, because it will have this impact on me, and I'll be so frozen I can't do anything else.

The even better news is that I get the same reaction from some of the music from a lot of newer bands, like A Triggering Myth, Rebel Wheel, Deformica, Il Trono dei Ricordi, Accordo dei Contrari, and a bunch I'm surely overlooking just now.

It's the best feeling in the world, and I only get it from the music that resonates with me the most, which is overwhelmingly "Prog."

Bill

"Sometimes I know I can't play a particular album at a particular time, because it will have this impact on me, and I'll be so frozen I can't do anything else."

Boy, you nailed it there, Bill. One of mine is 'Movin' On" by Circus....so emotionally paralyzing to hear as I get older, that, as brilliant as it is, it's almost like putting myself through something to endure the sheer beauty of it....

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    "Sometimes I know I can't play a particular album at a particular time, because it will have this impact on me, and I'll be so frozen I can't do anything else."

Boy, you nailed it there, Bill. One of mine is 'Movin' On" by Circus....so emotionally paralyzing to hear as I get older, that, as brilliant as it is, it's almost like putting myself through something to endure the sheer beauty of it....
    I'm so glad to hear others experience this. Amazing how music has the power to move us so.

And Movin' On is an awesome album. I just put it in my queue for a fresh listen tomorrow. I can't say it's ever had this effect on me, but I do dig it mightily and I'll be giving it a close listen tomorrow.

Nice, Bill!!! I'm so happy to hear that you have and know Movin' On. Obviously it's a disservice to derail this thread toward a particular album, but I'd love to hear if it affects you differently, hearing it with your 'different ears'.

Oooo....another...my favorite PF album, Animals, which cuts deeper as I get older. Dogs is the life I swore I wouldn't have, but do. And it's great for other reasons: Lots of Rick Wright / it's not about Syd / most proggy / only decent Waters vocals / the only PF album with a happy ending / in the top 5 best album covers

Oh, and most assuredly, the best Waters lyrics, next to Dark Side.

Suspended
    I still get that every time I hear Turn of the Century.

There are others.... I may put a short list together later if I feel so inclinied.

After thousands of repeat listenings over almost 50 years, Love's "Forever Changes" to this day remains relevant and exciting for me. Can't say that about any other album iirc.

This album is visionary as well as pretty much flawless imo. Without hesitation, the one album I would choose if I only had one to pick for the desert island.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

With music, I mostly get other kinds of chills. Some albums transport me back in time, to the time I bought those albums.

On the other hand there are albums that gave me the chills when I first heard them, because they introduced me to a new world. Those albums are rare. I think the last time I experienced that was with Maximising the audience by Wim Mertens.

I put Fragile on for the first time in a year or so and as soon as South Side came on, I was transported back to the first time I heard it as a teen. The same thing happened during Heart of the Sunrise.
    Those are the two best songs from my favorite Yes album. I get the same reaction every time I play them. I'm still floored by those songs.

Happens to me when there are tremendous vocal performances like Annie's soaring voice at the end of Scheherezade or the last line of vocals on Stardust We Are (the live version) or hearing the Northettes at the end of Son of there's no place like Homerton. There are no doubt dozens of others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Sure.. end of Suppers Ready, beginning of CTTE.. Soon section of Gates.. I could go on and on...

As many times as i've played Jethro Tull-Benefit over the years,it still gases me.Song after great song,it still moves me.

Satie's Messe des Pauvres does it for me in classical.

So much more.

Music is the best,as FZ said.
    Last edited by walt; 09-19-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I still get that every time I hear Turn of the Century.

There are others.... I may put a short list together later if I feel so inclinied.
    Awaken for me, that's my ultimate "chills" track. But TotC is fantastic too!

Suspended
    Several Beach Boys track do this for me:

God Only Knows
    All I Wanna Do
    'Til I Die
    Feel Flows
    Forever
    All This Is That
    Surf's Up
    Child Is Father of the Man

and Brian Wilson - Lay Down Burden

supper's ready, second's out version
    gates of delirium
    endless enigma, pt 2
    when the levee breaks
    wind cries mary
    closer - none inch nails
    misplaced childhood
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 09-19-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Misplaced Childhood by Marillion for starters....I'm sure there's a ton more with some thought.

There is no piece of music that does this for me every time. There has to be a gap of time since last hearing it and a lack of expectations. Thinking "this'll be great I'll get chills from it" is a surefire way to make it not happen.

Recently I experienced a great rush from watching the Hackett Revisited version of Watcher of the Skies. Magma also does it for me more than most. King Crimson 72-74 used to, from time to time, but I have just listened to those guys so much over the last 20 years I fear I am permanently immune to any emotional reaction to their music at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    There is no piece of music that does this for me every time. There has to be a gap of time since last hearing it and a lack of expectations. Thinking "this'll be great I'll get chills from it" is a surefire way to make it not happen.
    Thats about my experience too.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Tales
    Oh yes, Harry Chapin's Heads and Tales is a great album!

the opening mellotron of 'Watcher Of The Skies' from Genesis Live get me going pretty good

The Revealing Science of God - towards the end - Wakeman's synth solo dissolves into a swell of mellotron strings - gets me every time - doesn't matter if I'm expecting it or not. If I close my eyes and drift, it's the Spring of 74 again . . . "sigh"