Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant Octopus Deluxe Edition Reissue Details

Gentle Giant Octopus Deluxe Edition Reissue Details

Hi Everyone,

All of the details about the reissue have been released. Here is the official announcement. The track listing follows.

If you're wondering why I'm posting this, to be transparent, I did the liner notes for the project. It's a 2,000-word essay including new interviews with Ray, Derek, Kerry, Gary, and Roger Dean (who discusses why two different covers exist).

If you have any questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

--

Gentle Giant’s iconic album, OCTOPUS has been remixed by Steven Wilson and will be released on October 27, 2015 in both BLU-RAY/CD and CD formats.

Originally released in 1972, OCTOPUS is Gentle Giant’s fourth album. The album features band members: Gary Green (guitars, percussion), Kerry Minnear (keyboards, vibraphone, percussion, cello, vocals), Derek Shulman (vocals, alto saxophone), Phil Shulman (saxophones, trumpet, mellophone, vocals), Ray Shulman (bass violin, guitar, percussion, vocals), John Weathers (drums, percussion, xylophone). The album was produced by the band and engineered and mixed by Martin Rushent.

The album has been tastefully remixed by Steven Wilson who also remixed Gentle Giant's 'The Power & The Glory' in 2014. Also included is a bonus of Steven’s mix of live 15-minute concert performances of "Excerpts from Octopus" from the band's 1976 tour.

New sketches by Roger Dean (who produced the original UK album cover) will be included in the new packaging as well as artwork from the USA album (an octopus in a jar created by Charles White).

The Blu-ray’s remixed album and added 15 minutes of live excerpts will be in 96/24 PCM, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound Master Audio. The Blu-ray also includes instrumental mixes of 5 of the original 8 tracks from this album. Also included is the flat transfer of the original mix of the album.

The OCTOPUS releases will be through Caroline-UMG in North America, and on Soulfood in the rest of the world on October 27.

CD - Original album remixed by Steven Wilson:

1. The Advent of Panurge
    2. Raconteur Troubadour
    3. A Cry for Everyone
    4. Knots
    5. The Boys in the Band
    6. Dog's Life
    7. Think of me with Kindness
    8. River

Bonus Track:

9. Excerpts from Octopus (Live, 1976)

Blu-Ray:

Album Mixes In 96/24 Stereo LPCM & DTS 5.1 Master Audio, Remixed by Steven Wilson:

1. The Advent of Panurge
    2. Raconteur Troubadour
    3. A Cry for Everyone
    4. Knots
    5. The Boys in the Band
    6. Dog's Life
    8. River

Bonus Track:

9. Excerpts from Octopus (Live, 1976)

Instrumental Mixes:

96/24 Stereo LPCM

1. A Cry for Everyone
    2. Knots
    3. Dog's Life
    4. Think of me with Kindness
    5. River

Original 1972 album mix (Transferred Flat from the original 1/4 inch tape @ 96/24 Stereo LPCM):

1. The Advent of Panurge
    2. Raconteur Troubadour
    3. A Cry for Everyone
    4. Knots
    5. The Boys in the Band
    6. Dog's Life
    8. River

yeah I'll be picking this up. It'll be a treat to hear the remix I'm thinking, and this was always among their finest I think. Plus look forward to the essay and interviews!

Though Gentle Giant might be one of my favorite better known bands, I'm not sure it's worth the investment for me. I don't own a blu ray player and I mostly hardly hear much difference between the original mix and the remix. I prefer buying stuff I don't own on CD.

I admit to having 'mixed' feelings about this reissue since every song wasn't remixed. A real shame and head scratcher why they couldn't find all of the multi-tracks. Why did they leave out the computer animations this time? Cost issues? Also, why did Pugwash not get an interview? It was his first album with the band. I'd be curious what he'd have had to say about the experience of joining up and what he thought of the music. Never-the-less I will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I admit to having 'mixed' feelings about this reissue since every song wasn't remixed. A real shame and head scratcher why they couldn't find all of the multi-tracks.
    Maybe it's because I just woke up but I'm seeing nothing in the announcement about some tracks not being remixed ...are you sure you aren't being confused by the fact that only five tracks are offered in instrumental versions?

If this comes out with normal dvd option I'll be interested. Failing that I'd buy a cd only version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Though Gentle Giant might be one of my favorite better known bands, I'm not sure it's worth the investment for me. I don't own a blu ray player and I mostly hardly hear much difference between the original mix and the remix. I prefer buying stuff I don't own on CD.
    This!!... I'll stick with what I got (mostly first gen CDs)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Maybe it's because I just woke up but I'm seeing nothing in the announcement about some tracks not being remixed ...are you sure you aren't being confused by the fact that only five tracks are offered in instrumental versions?
    From Wilsons site regarding his remix series
    "A brand new edition, partly remixed, of the classic fourth album from one of the most gifted and ambitious of the original wave of seventies progressive rock bands. 5 of the 8 tracks have been remixed by Steven from the multitrack master tapes for this CD edition on the band’s own label Alucard. Also includes bonus track of a 16 minute live version of “Extracts from Octopus”, again newly mixed into stereo. 4 panel digipack with 16 page booklet, including new sketches from original front cover creator Roger Dean."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'll stick with what I got (mostly first gen CDs)
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    From Wilsons site regarding his remix series
    "A brand new edition, partly remixed, of the classic fourth album from one of the most gifted and ambitious of the original wave of seventies progressive rock bands. 5 of the 8 tracks have been remixed by Steven from the multitrack master tapes for this CD edition on the band’s own label Alucard."
    Is it just me, or is that little detail very much overlooked in the official announcement at the top of this thread? (I'm not nit-picking, though: I've already preordered this at Headphone Dust and I won't be trying to cancel either way.)

Is it just me, or is that little detail very much overlooked in the official announcement at the top of this thread? (I'm not nit-picking, though: I've already preordered this at Headphone Dust and I won't be trying to cancel either way.)
    No, not just you! :-)
    For some it could be a deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This!!... I'll stick with what I got (mostly first gen CDs)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ditto.
    Yeah, same here. GG is the one 70's well known prog band (along with VDGG) that I actually still listen to regularly, but I just don't see anything wrong with the CD's I already have. I was never crazy about Octopus anyway, thought Excerpts From Octopus is probably the most impressive thing they ever did live (I know that seems contradictory, but I prefer a lot of their music live over the studio renditions).

Well for me its an Autobuy. GG is my all time favorite band and I thought the Power and the Glory Blu-ray was great (IMHO).. I can only hope it lives up to that. I have Octopus in all the versions mentioned, vinyl, first gen cd, anniversary... and a framed unplayed Vertigo version signed by Gary and Roger Dean which hangs in the man cave. One of my desert island recordings, so getting to hear a different mix should be interesting. So cool! Looking forward to this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was watching the Highlights from Octopus on that US TV appearance, and it's just so good. Love that DVD, all the stuff is such holy grail footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Well for me its an Autobuy. GG is my all time favorite band and I thought the Power and the Glory Blu-ray was great (IMHO).. I can only hope it lives up to that. I have Octopus in all the versions mentioned, vinyl, first gen cd, anniversary... and a framed unplayed Vertigo version signed by Gary and Roger Dean which hangs in the man cave. One of my desert island recordings, so getting to hear a different mix should be interesting. So cool! Looking forward to this.
    +1 --- GG is so f'in good in so many ways. I'll buy anything they put out simply to repay as much of the band as I can for such great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    +1 --- GG is so f'in good in so many ways. I'll buy anything they put out simply to repay as much of the band as I can for such great music.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    If you have any questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.
    Why did they leave out the computer animations this time? Cost issues? Also, why did Pugwash not get an interview? It was his first album with the band. I'd be curious what he'd have had to say about the experience of joining up and what he thought of the music. Never-the-less I will buy it.
    Still waiting on these questions to be answered!

Had the pleasure of a 5.1 preview on a high end system at Gorgg last week. Not a big fan of 5.1 recorded music, but this was exceptional, especially Knots. The separation of the voices is truly an awesome experience.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Still waiting on these questions to be answered!
    Never saw these...

I have not actually seen the Blu-Ray disc, to be honest. I know there is a film of an Octopus running through it.

Regarding Pugwash, it was decided that four voices in the interview section (it is incredibly lengthy) was enough to cover the story. The timeline was also very short. I think you'll be pleased with the end result.

It has been clearly stated that this is the case. The rest are Penteo upmixes, which sound fantastic. It is unlikely most people will notice a significant difference when they listen to the surround mixes.

I will say one more thing -- people supporting these GG releases help create interest in further rounds of reissues done in a similar vein. This is not on a Katy Perry sales trajectory. It needs support from people if they want to see further catalog projects.

I still don't have a blu ray player... would have bought the DVDA or DVD with 5.1, but there is none this time around... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I still don't have a blu ray player... would have bought the DVDA or DVD with 5.1, but there is none this time around... :-(
    Same here. The Power And The Glory is a wonderful set with the DVD containing the surround mix. The Interview- and Freehand-rereleases with the 4.1 surround mixes on DVDA are great too.
    So why the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    I will say one more thing -- people supporting these GG releases help create interest in further rounds of reissues done in a similar vein. This is not on a Katy Perry sales trajectory. It needs support from people if they want to see further catalog projects.
    Well spoken. Bands (and labels) understand when people vote with their wallets. Or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Same here. The Power And The Glory is a wonderful set with the DVD containing the surround mix. The Interview- and Freehand-rereleases with the 4.1 surround mixes on DVDA are great too.
    So why the change?
    Btw, am I the only one who was a bit disappointed by these original quad-mixes of these two discs? There is so much more that could have been done with this material...