Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant Octopus Deluxe Edition Reissue Details

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    It has been clearly stated that this is the case. The rest are Penteo upmixes, which sound fantastic. It is unlikely most people will notice a significant difference when they listen to the surround mixes.
    That would seem to call into question the need for going through the time and expense of doing actual discrete surround remixes...

One run through and I give this a big thumbs up. Just the stereo mind you, no surround in this house. They did a good job with blending in the 3 songs, the first two Advent of Panurge, Raconteur Troubadour and then The Boys in the Band to the rest of the remixed songs. Sure, if you listen closely you can tell. The remixed tracks have a punch and a clarity that stand out (and less hiss ;-) but the other 3 sound pretty fantastic themselves. Steven Wilson apparently remastered the 3 they didn't have the multi tracks for and he did a fine job in my estimation. Anil also did a wonderful job on the liners which has comments from 4 of the band members. Actually John does get some quotes on the bluray. Yael Shulman (Derek's daughter?) is credited with the background film of an octopus that plays thru out the recording. It really has a hypnotic effect. Quotes from the band members are inserted at different points in relation to the song. There are also photos in the booklet I've never seen before. A really nice package and just very well may be the definitive version of this classic and great work.
    Last edited by Dok; 11-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I still don't have a blu ray player... would have bought the DVDA or DVD with 5.1, but there is none this time around... :-(
    Because most people have moved to Blu Ray....time, I'd humbly suggest, for you to consider doing so also. Beyond a myriad of reasons, the fact that you can get completely uncompressed audio (which you cannot with th DVD-a,as good as it sounds) is a major draw, IMO.

BTW Phil's comments on the bluray are the sharpest!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Because most people have moved to Blu Ray....time, I'd humbly suggest, for you to consider doing so also. Beyond a myriad of reasons, the fact that you can get completely uncompressed audio (which you cannot with th DVD-a,as good as it sounds) is a major draw, IMO.
    What meaning does it have if the compression is lossless?
    Do not confuse data compression (like computer ZIP format) which doesnt change the data itself, to MP3 compression (which alters the data, hence lossy compression) to a third compression which is dynamic range compression (which is a different compression alltogether and is very listenable)
    Why would you care that the data on DVD-A is compressed using MLP? (The L stands for lossless) - the result is pure PCM which you can compare bit by bit to regular uncompressed PCM.

I think it's stupid to not make a DVD version available. Not everyone has the extra money to buy another surround blu ray player. It's just a bad choice to only have Blu Ray...considering blu ray can play dvd also.
    But the 2cd 5.1 version is something like $36 at my local store! Hell no will I pay that much even if I had blu ray!
    I would have paid $25 for a DVD version. And the single disc version was $20, but I have two other versions of the stereo mix already.
    And often with the "remix", they try to stay true to the original mix,so why bother, especially since 3 tracks are not remixed?
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I think it's stupid to not make a DVD version available. Not everyone has the extra money to buy another surround blu ray player.
    What's the number of people who cannot afford a surround blu ray player but can afford an audiophile remaster of a Gentle Giant album?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    What's the number of people who cannot afford a surround blu ray player but can afford an audiophile remaster of a Gentle Giant album?
    Good point.

I have already the vinyl and Polygram CD, but I will buy the single Remix CD which is not too expensive and has the live bonus track and the new Roger Dean artwork.

"Octopus, from 1972, was one of Gentle Giant's most accomplished and accessible releases blending the band's abundant imagination with a collection of strong melodies and focused performances.

This 2015 Alucard label cd edition features a Steven Wilson mix and a 15 minute live performance of Excerpts From Octopus from the band's 1976 tour.

New sketches by Roger Dean (who produced the original UK album cover) are included in the packaging, as well as artwork from the US version."

PS There is a nice new Octopus T-Shirt on sale too.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Has there been an investigation which proves that most people have moved to BR?
    The way I see it the market is still producing more DVD's than Blu Rays, but I could be wrong.

For me it's not the money, but the fact the BR came too soon after I bought my SACD/DVD-player and sometimes (or maybe often) I refuse to follow the market. If my player stops playing I'll buy an OPPO.

One can buy a Blu-Ray player for as low as $40 now. Whether or not it's connected to a surround system, you can use it for stereo playback (and cd player too).

There is no financial barrier to entry in the Blu-Ray world.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Has there been an investigation which proves that most people have moved to BR?
    The way I see it the market is still producing more DVD's than Blu Rays, but I could be wrong.

For me it's not the money, but the fact the BR came too soon after I bought my SACD/DVD-player and sometimes (or maybe often) I refuse to follow the market. If my player stops playing I'll buy an OPPO.
    I havent bought a DVD in like 6-7 years. Dropped it as a format long ago. Bluray is about as cheap now as DVDs anyway. Hell... it's been around for 10 years now. I still find it rather amusing that it's somehow a huge leap or "investment" at this point. If you enjoy watching a crappier resolution - by all means... do so. That's just me though... I have plenty o' crappy VHS I cant get on DVD at this point - but I dont bother watching those now either.

I hope they tour behind this ambitious release!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Keep holding your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I havent bought a DVD in like 6-7 years. Dropped it as a format long ago. Bluray is about as cheap now as DVDs anyway. Hell... it's been around for 10 years now. I still find it rather amusing that it's somehow a huge leap or "investment" at this point. If you enjoy watching a crappier resolution - by all means... do so. That's just me though... I have plenty o' crappy VHS I cant get on DVD at this point - but I dont bother watching those now either.
    My problem is I just don't have anymore space to fit a Bluray player. My stereo system rack is already full with my amp, a DVD-A and a SACD player!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    My problem is I just don't have anymore space to fit a Bluray player. My stereo system rack is already full with my amp, a DVD-A and a SACD player!
    First world problem!

Pretty sure there are BR players that play both those formats. I think mine does (Oppo).

Be weary if you are getting the blu-ray/cd 2 disc from Amazon. I just read 12 reviews and over half of those customers that paid $30+ for the blu-ray/cd only got the cd. There is def. a mix-up there. Just ordered the blu-ray/cd from The Lasers Edge.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 11-03-2015 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Be weary if you are getting the blu-ray/cd 2 disc from Amazon. I just read 12 reviews and over half of those customers that paid $30+ for the blu-ray/cd only got the cd. There is def. a mix-up there. Just ordered the blu-ray/cd from The Lasers Edge.
    I received the blu-ray/cd version and I was also reimbursed $4 for the ore order price guarantee from amazon.

One can buy a Blu-Ray player for as low as $40 now. Whether or not it's connected to a surround system, you can use it for stereo playback (and cd player too).

Why should I buy something new, if the old thing is still working? I still don't have a flatscreen television. On the other hand, I 'm currently using my second flatscreen computer-monitor.

Hope S. Wilson will be given the chance to clean up both INTERVIEW and THE MISSING PIECE. In the meantime, me wanty T-Shirt.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...9&d=1446877882

Yes, but a $40 Blu Ray player will have a very cheap DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) and if you have a half-decent sound system, it will not be good.

I went top line, but OPPO makes a great player that plays every format that comes on a 5" disc, the BDP-103 is about $500 (US)/$599 (CDN) and while not quite as good as the BDP-105, will replace any 5" media players you have with something that sounds really, really good.

If you are moving to Blu Ray for audio, buying a cheap one will not serve you well.

Sure it will, if you just bypass its internal D/A and run HDMI (or another digital connection) to your receiver and let it do the conversion. A lot of the less expensive players have some rather good converters as well; it would depend on the specs of the rest of your system as to whether pretty good is good enough. But generally I'd expect you'd be skipping the D/A in the player.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sure it will, if you just bypass its internal D/A and run HDMI (or another digital connection) to your receiver and let it do the conversion. A lot of the less expensive players have some rather good converters as well; it would depend on the specs of the rest of your system as to whether pretty good is good enough. But generally I'd expect you'd be skipping the D/A in the player.
    HDMI is the only way to go, no other connection will give you the lossless HD formats.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    HDMI is the only way to go, no other connection will give you the lossless HD formats.
    Mmmm, that's true isn't it.