Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wetton VS Lake - Favourite vocalist ?

Wetton VS Lake - Favourite vocalist ?

,John Wetton vocalist with King Crimson,U.K,Uriah Heep,Roxy Music etc,and Greg Lake,vocalist with King Crimson and ELP.Two prog rock giants,but who had/has the best vocal/voice?
    Wetton's vocals particularly on the three Crimson studio albums were exceptional,amongst his best vocals were the songs Fallen Angel,Book of Saturday,Starless,and Exiles.
    Lake was no less impressive,and his vocals with KC,including tracks like Epitaph,21ST Century Schizoid Man,Cat Food etc,and then with ELP,with songs including From the Beginning,C'est La Vie,and Pirates,made for great listening!
    Outstanding vocalists,but whose the best?

I prefer Wetton's "ballsier" approach over Lake's "folkie-r" style. YMMV.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Personally I'd go for Lake when he was at his best, such as on "Take a Pebble". Sometimes Wetton's wavering intonation and straining for notes bother me somewhat, such as on "Exiles".
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

They're both wonderful singers. Haven't seen Greg Lake live for years. Saw Asia last year & J.W. was still in fine voice so given that,( & also that Asia are one of my favourite bands), I'll give him the edge.

Tough call though.

I always thought they were both pretty close sounding vocally and I like both of their voices, but I give the nod to Wetton due to Crim and UK. As a tie breaker, I have to go with the music I enjoy more.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

They both have great voices, but Lake by far, IMO.

Don’t dislike either of them (with Crimso, anyway), but I think I prefer Wetton’s more in-your-face vocalizing. Incidentally, he harmonized wonderfully with Roger Chapman on the Family albums on which he played (check out “My Friend the Sun”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Tough one. I like them both, but would probably go with Lake in his prime. Wetton’s voice has held up better over the years though. Have seen him with both Asia and UK in the past few years and he still sounded very good.

Wetton's voice def held up much better. All around, he remained sharper.

Love 'em both. Lake was always the better balladeer, and really excelled at the more mellow songs, while Wetton I always thought had more power.

Wetton definitely sounds better now, or, rather, more recently. I saw him on Asia's last tour with Steve Howe and was blown away at how good Wetton still sounds.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Neither are close to my favorite. Like 'em both, like Wetton better.

Wetton, easily.

They both have their moments---sing in similar ranges----but like Wetton more.

I like the sound of Lake's voice better, but I like what Wetton did with his better.

Wetton!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Wetton, easily.
    This. It isn't even close, IMO.

Wetton has a crap voice imo except for the slow songs. Lake was pretty good in the very early 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    They both have great voices, but Lake by far, IMO.
    Lake. It's not even debateable!

Lake was superior in his prime but today Wetton is much stronger.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    ^^^This
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I like the sound of Lake's voice better, but I like what Wetton did with his better.
    Yeah, thats a good way to put it. Wetton has the more expressive singing style and ultimately, I think that wins out for me because neither had a really great singing voice to begin with, say when compared to Gabriel or Anderson. And Wetton's voice has definitely outlasted Lake's. When I saw UK at the last Nearfest, his voice was amazingly powerful. Can't say the same about Lake these days.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Yeah, thats a good way to put it. Wetton has the more expressive singing style and ultimately, I think that wins out for me because neither had a really great singing voice to begin with, say when compared to Gabriel or Anderson. And Wetton's voice has definitely outlasted Lake's. When I saw UK at the last Nearfest, his voice was amazingly powerful. Can't say the same about Lake these days.
    ^^^Wow, as much as I am a fan of Gabriel I don't think anyone would say he was a great singer. Didn't he even take lessons after he left Genesis? I would agree he has a unique voice that makes him appealing but a great singer....na!!!

Can't disagree with this!

This. Lake could sing ballsy one song, gentle balladeer on the next, and a choir boy on the third. Wetton's voice is more raw to my ears.

But the cigs really seemed to tear up Greg's voice. Wonder how that happens to some and doesn't happen to the like of Sinatra, Martin, etc...

It's all personal preference. How does one measure "better?"

Bob