Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zappa - Sleep Dirt

I first heard it in 1979, which was a big year for Zappa. Joe's Garage, Sheik Yer Bouty, OF...he released 7 LPs in one year.

a top 10 (possibly top 5) zappa album, but I only ever heard the instrumental version ... always mean to get an earful of the other version, but never get around it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love this one and definitely favor the instrumental versions. Comparing this to the other primarily instrumental/jazz albums, this one comes up third in my list: Waka, Wazoo, Sleep Dirt, Hot Rats (yeah I know, Hot Rats should be #1, but it isn't). Comparing this to all of his catalog, it is in the top 10 but probably somewhere close to 10.

Ocean is the Ultimate Solution is great, title track is a nice little acoustic piece for Zappa, Spider of Destiny is a tremendous song, as is Regyptian Strut. And, not a weak track on the album.

I stumbled upon this album quite by accident way back when I was working on a radio station back in the early 80’s. I came across it when thumbing through the stations album collection. I had never heard of it before. We used to be able to borrow albums from the station if they were not heavy rotation so I took it home, gave it a listen and I was blown away. I have not heard it in years, but I may have to dig it back out.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution and Flambay are significantly longer on "Sleep Dirt" than they were on Lather (Spider of Destiny is a little longer on "Sleep Dirt"), and neither the song Sleep Dirt or Time Is Money were on the original unreleased vinyl Lather, although Time Is Money made it onto the CD version in the 90s (don't know if it's on the 2012 version). So, some significant differences, Ernie.

I prefer "Sleep Dirt" as an instrumental experience - as with a lot of Frank's post-op studio work, the vocal overdubs are valuable as artifacts, but as a listening experience I have a clear preference for the unadorned way I first experienced these pieces on vinyl when the album came out. The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution is a top-10 Zappa piece for me, so unique and flowing and definitely some of my favorite FZ guitar work.

aith01, "Orchestral Favorites" is (unsurprisingly) an orchestra album, so not comparable in style to "Sleep Dirt" - perhaps a little closer in style to "Revised Music" from side two of "Studio Tan" if you're familiar with that release, but actually not really. A good portion of "Orchestral Favorites" is re-orchestrated themes from "200 Motels," plus a couple of very abstract pieces and a new version of "Duke of Prunes" with FZ wailing on feedback guitar over the orchestra. Most of "Orchestral Favorites" is also on Lather, but the two 200 Motels pieces aren't. All of "Studio Tan" is on "Lather."

EDIT: Reid answered some of this stuff while I was typing
    Yeah, the original Sleep Dirt release fried my brain when i first heard it. Truly excellent. I had recorded Lather when he played it on the radio but the tracks here had a different vibe. I didn't realise why until Mike pointed it out here. I also have the version with vocals and though it's nice too, i also prefer the instrumental one. You never forget your first time, i guess. Something about that original version is special

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

One of my favorite Zappa records, no vocals please! Great from start to finish.
    "You getting tired. Nuh uh. My fingers got stuck."

Two pages in and no ones mentioned that Filthy Habits is the greatest guitar solo of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Two pages in and no ones mentioned that Filthy Habits is the greatest guitar solo of all time?
    I remember someone saying that Filthy Habits was Zappa doing Crimson. Don't agree with that comparison but for some reason Filthy Habits just never stood out to me as one of Zappa's better guitar solo-based tracks. As for his greatest guitar solo of all time, surely that has to go with Inca Roads and if not that, Watermelon in Easter Hay?

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    "Orchestral Favorites" is (snip...) a new version of "Duke of Prunes" with FZ wailing on feedback guitar over the orchestra.
    I love that version of Prunes. Its the highlight of Orchestral Favorites and a tremendous version of the song, far exceeding what the Mothers did. I love how Zappa could take a song and rework it as a guitar solo - like Mammy Anthem from Mammy Nuns.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I remember someone saying that Filthy Habits was Zappa doing Crimson. Don't agree with that comparison but for some reason Filthy Habits just never stood out to me as one of Zappa's better guitar solo-based tracks. As for his greatest guitar solo of all time, surely that has to go with Inca Roads and if not that, Watermelon in Easter Hay?
    It destroys them both, but that's just my opinion.

chalkpie
    Its mindblowing how much he actually did - and here you have (this sometimes overlooked) gem just sitting there in the middle of it all. Regarding his solo on Filthy Habits - the feedback becomes almost like a different instrument playing - the color and texture of it is just so wonderful. LOVE LOVE LOVE that solo (and tune). Bozzio's playing is also just so great on that.

Wow. Thanks for the responses. The instrumental version is in my top 5 for Zappa.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Its really damn good... but I can list a lot more scorching solos I like more... mostly from live shows but one I love right off the top of my head for album ones is the Zombie Woof solo... the razor blade solo! Oh ya... Bowling On Charen off Trance-Fusion is a plucky badass solo too. Scorches at the end. The edit Frank did on from the full version is awesome
    Last edited by Phlakaton; 09-18-2015 at 10:40 AM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Its really damn good... but I can list a lot more scorching solos I like more... mostly from live shows but one I love right off the top of my head for album ones is the Zombie Woof solo... the razor blade solo! Oh ya... Bowling On Charen off Trance-Fusion is a plucky badass solo too. Scorches at the end. The edit Frank did on from the full version is awesome
    Zombie Woof - studio, Best Band, or YCDOSTA version?

The Best Band solo takes it for me there.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Album. Its a bit short but damn does he pack in it. There is a change at the 3:20 mark that always gives me goosebumps... If I remember right that is the bit where in the middle of the one chord A minor solo FZ, George and Tom slip into an alternating Bb Major - A minor thing for a few bars, one of those neat improv tricks they could do.

Studio solo of the Woof is unreal

I'm wondering how my vinyl copies compare to other versions:

I bought Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan and Orchestral Favorites all as cut-outs on vinyl. Also, I have a boxed set on vinyl of Lather that, I hear, was recorded off LA radio. I think that I listened to Sleep Dirt the most of all of them. I need to pull them out of storage when I finish building a shed for my collection!

I've got Lather (90's version), but have actually never heard the studio albums the material later appeared on. I absolutely love The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution and think it's up there with his best lead work, so I guess I need to get Sleep Dirt after all (thanks Mike for convincing me ). I also love the feedback solo on Filthy Habits, not sure I'd call it the best guitar solo of all time, but it's certainly up there!

Great solo and also a rare and impressive performance of FZ on keyboards.

I'm pretty hot and cold on FZ solos. Some are really amazing and push the art of guitar solos to new levels, others simply just lay there for me and go nowhere. Most of the ones people have mentioned fall into the former category - but there's something special about the Filthy Habits solo that, the first time I heard it, I knew I was hearing something truly unique and masterful. Something about the mood that piece creates and the subtle shades of darkness ... I get goosebumps just thinking of it. I generally am not a big fan of guitar solos, but this one has an atmosphere that sets it apart and above.

chalkpie
    Album. Its a bit short but damn does he pack in it. There is a change at the 3:20 mark that always gives me goosebumps... If I remember right that is the bit where in the middle of the one chord A minor solo FZ, George and Tom slip into an alternating Bb Major - A minor thing for a few bars, one of those neat improv tricks they could do.
    Yes - I know exactly what you're talking about at that change! The Best Band version slays me when he does that chordal-funky rhythm comping towards the end- and of course that clean tone he had in '88 is still just a magnificent tone. Its all flippin' good.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Nothing tops the studio version for me. The other two are fun, but it was the first song I heard that I actually cared about the way it was put together - the 'composition'. For about 6 years, it was my favorite piece of music ever (hence my user name).

chalkpie
    Nothing tops the studio version for me. The other two are fun, but it was the first song I heard that I actually cared about the way it was put together - the 'composition'. For about 6 years, it was my favorite piece of music ever (hence my user name).
    Yeah - I guess I never asked you about your user name - never knew it was your "Dirty Boy"

My user name is of course the best drum solaaa... ever!

chalkpie
    My user name is of course the best drum solaaa... ever!
    No argument there.