Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terje Rypdal

Terje Rypdal

just finished digitally remastering a coupla R artists from my LP collection and decided that one should be Terje

I did his first 5 albums under his name alone. Found them to be quite a bit varied... interested to see what others think of his first 5

Bleak House
    TR
    What Comes After
    Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away
    Odyssey
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't have any of those, can you burn me a few CD-R copies?

LOL

I believe they are all available from vendors and when that's the case, I don't trade CDRs.
    Go buy them from the vendors... especially the 4th and 5th albums
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"Varied" - for sure.

Got four of these on vinyl (three of 'em mint originals). Don't want no CDs.

Whenever is his best album at large, IMO, with After, Odyssey and Descendre his next. Unlike many others, I'm not very fond of Chaser, which appears a bit "mock fusion" to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Varied" - for sure.

Got four of these on vinyl (three of 'em mint originals). Don't want no CDs.

Whenever is his best album at large, IMO
    that's my feeling as well. Odyssey is a bit too loose and jammy for me, though it's certainly more focused than TR and WCA. Those two are just a bit *too* unfocused for me. Bleak House is pretty nice though... especially for 1968

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Bleak House is pretty nice though... especially for 1968
    Yes, well some of it is an obvious continuation of his work in the Dream trio, I guess. Good one, right there!

And did you get to hear his Min Bul collabwWith Espen Rud and Bjørnar Andresen (both from Finnerud Trio)? It was reissued on (yellow!) vinyl some five years back, after having been one of THE most searched-for artifacts of Norwegian jazz/avant-garde since its release back in 1971. Much better than I anticipated, although I'm a huge Finnerud fan.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

no, I have not heard that one... is it called Min Bul? I'll seek it out

^

Not on CD, seeing how the hipsters don't want 'em.

Bleak House
    TR
    What Comes After
    Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away
    Odyssey
    Huge Rypdal fan here. My favorite of these is Odyssey, but What Comes After is next with a close tie with Whenever. All of them are winners, along with Waves and Descendre. All essential ECM catalog records. I get mixed mileage from Bleak House, perhaps because I enjoy his ECM work so much more.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Odyssey and Whenever are my favorites (masterpieces IMO), but Waves and Descendre comes close.
    TR and What Comes After are good too but not as mature. Get yourself some live stuff from this period (boots) !

I agree with Scrotum that Chaser and Blue is not worth running for, but EOS, Terje Rypdal / Miroslav Vitous / Jack DeJohnette, To be Continued, If Mountains Could Sing, Vossabryg, has their moments.
    And he is so awesome on Michael Mantler: The Hapless Child, and Barre Phillips: Three Day Moon is also worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Not on CD, seeing how the hipsters don't want 'em.
    I have the Universal/Emarcy 2003 CD reissue of this. I'm sure it's long OOP though.

I believe they are all available from vendors and when that's the case, I don't trade CDRs.
    Go buy them from the vendors... especially the 4th and 5th albums
    Actually, several of Rypdal's 70s ECM albums unfortunately have been very difficult to find on CD actually over the years.

^The easiest one to track down when I was looking, was 'Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette', which was- I think- the only one of his which was one of the 'ECM Touchstones' releases.

Odyssey is now on CD with all the tracks + a live CD ! (first CDissue had ommited a whole LP side)

Dont forget:
    Paolo Vinaccia: Very Much Alive (Jazzland), 6xCD album (2010)
    Featuring Terje Rypdal, Ståle Storløkken & Palle Mikkelborg.

Definetely worth getting !, and cheap considering its 6 CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Dont forget:

Definetely worth getting !, and cheap considering its 6 CD's.
    Co-sign.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I have the Universal/Emarcy 2003 CD reissue of this. I'm sure it's long OOP though.
    And it was actually never available in Norway!

That yellow vinyl thing was (of course) committed by some hipster label, btw... Limited ed. Quite lavish, though - the package and everything.

Love Bleak House...it is such of its time. A vibe like that would be difficult to conjure up these days without sounded "forced".

I only have his quite ambient sounding "After The Rain" from 1976.

One of my top favorite artists
    I adore the early stuff but also everything up to and including Chaser
    Was lucky enough to see him in 85 in London doing Chaser - great show
    Anyone who loves Odyssey should look for the Radio Bremmen boot - excellent sound - amazing performance
    Just listened to his debut on ECM what an amazing listening experience - what a vibe - amazing really

Lets not forget
    Mike Mantler - The Happless Child
    Barre Phillips - 3 Day Moon

On the subject of Rypdal as sideman par excellance....i suggest Jan Garbarek's early ECM's.Afric Pepperbird and Sart.

Good stuff.

[QUOTE=Zeuhlmate;
    .[/QUOTE]

This was recorded in the early 2000's,not 1998.

I absolutely agree that Mantler's The Hapless Child contains some of Rypdal's best ever work as sideman; in fact I'd say his tormented, anguished tone is one of the main faccets which levitates the already somewhat bizarre atmosphere emannating from the compositions and lyrics. Damn, that album is a near-masterwork!