Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ProgDay audience recordings

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone got the missing song titles from JOTC and Ut Gret?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Remind me of the title of the song that had the loops that included the little clapping part? That was my favorite, and I know you said it was to be on your next release.

BTW, we've listened to both your albums and there is some really good stuff there. I definitely hear subtleties I did not during your show, so with your permission (which it seems you have granted), I'm going to grab this show and have a close listen. It was a real pleasure meeting and talking with all of you at the show, and we hope to see you again real soon!

Bill
    Awesome! It was great to meet you too. The title of the song you're asking about is "Deep Five" and yes, it will be on the next album.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I, too, am wondering about the protocol here. Also, the etiquette; had I played ProgDay this year (I didn't!), I don't think I'd be happy about sharing an ROIO of my performance here, at least without permission. So, not trying to be snooty or unpleasant, but I am curious about the OP's position and PE's position. Maybe all the bands encourage taping & sharing? Maybe PE encourages sharing? I just dunno, so please consider this a good-natured query. Thanks!
    Throughout it’s history ProgDay has had people both record and film on the field. Back when I was more involved if a band specifically did not want to have their performance taped or filmed we would announce no taping / filming to the field, and for the most part people cooperated. It actually did not happen all that often as most of the artists seemed to be ok with being taped / filmed. I don’t think anything has really changed with that in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by mercurytree View Post
    Awesome! It was great to meet you too. The title of the song you're asking about is "Deep Five" and yes, it will be on the next album.

-Ben
    Glad to see you & your children made it home safely, Ben! It was as great for me as it was for you 3 (hanging out, that is!).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey Bob, thank you for posting these! Especially happy to have the Jack o' the Clock set, as they played some new songs I really wanted recordings of, like "Fucking the Whole Thing Up."

Filling in song titles for the Mercury Tree set:
    Pitchless Tone
    Permutations
    Exhume the Worst
    Deep Five
    Artifracture
    Placeholder
    Unintelligible
    Rappel
    Prometheist
    New Untitled Song
    Sympathesizer
    Jazz Hands of Doom
    Exhume the Worst is a pretty good title!

-Ben
    Perfect! I'm downloading your stuff now, along with some other stuff. I'll be giving this a close listen.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I, too, am wondering about the protocol here. Also, the etiquette; had I played ProgDay this year (I didn't!), I don't think I'd be happy about sharing an ROIO of my performance here, at least without permission. So, not trying to be snooty or unpleasant, but I am curious about the OP's position and PE's position. Maybe all the bands encourage taping & sharing? Maybe PE encourages sharing? I just dunno, so please consider this a good-natured query. Thanks!
    That's why I put that blurb about going against PE protocol - I wasn't sure what the rules are.

I've been doing audience recordings of part or all of ProgDay since 1997. ProgDay has always been fairly loose about audience recordings - every year it seems like there are more tapers, video cameras and photographers. The only bands I remember ever requesting no taping were Kraan and Focus, and I respectfully refrained from recording either of them. I've also followed Dime's policy of not putting up audience recordings of anything that's been officially released (like Finisterre's 1997 performance).

I always freely share my recordings - for the past several years I've been putting them up on the Dime a Dozen site or sending CDRs to people if they ask. Before that I use to trade tapes with people, or just send them copies for free. I've never made a cent off these recordings, if that makes any difference (in fact, they've cost me several hundred dollars over the years).

My intent is mostly to help promote the festival and maybe get people interested in bands they might not otherwise hear. Over the years I've had a few bands ask for copies of their recording, and in one case a band even asked if they could release my recording of their preshow set as an "official bootleg", which I would have been fine with (although I don't think it ever happened). I've never gotten anything but positive reactions from the bands, but if any band wanted me to stop sharing their recording, I'd do so immediately.

So that said - if any of the bands that are currently up there (Trev Wignall, This Falling Sky, Bruteus, Eccentric Orbit, Ut Gret, Mercury Tree, Tryo and Jack O' The Clock) want their recording removed, just say the word. I'll contact the moderators at Dime and have them kill the torrent there too. And before I put up the Pascal Gutman Trio, Marbin and Quantum Fantay recordings - if they're reading this or if anyone is in contact with them and they DON'T want their recording put up, let me know.

-- Bob
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 09-17-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Filling in song titles for the Mercury Tree set:
    Pitchless Tone
    Permutations
    Exhume the Worst
    Deep Five
    Artifracture
    Placeholder
    Unintelligible
    Rappel
    Prometheist
    New Untitled Song
    Sympathesizer
    Jazz Hands of Doom
    Thanks for that, much appreciated. Every year the hardest part is figuring out the set lists.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Thanks so much. I've started with Eccentric Orbit, which I'm listening to now.

Good stuff, Bill. Enjoyed the performance and talking with you and the rest of the band. Hope to see EO out and about again
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    That's why I put that blurb about going against PE protocol - I wasn't sure what the rules are.
    I don't want to come off as the bad guy here, but the rule is pretty easy to find if you read the terms of service at the bottom of the page.

This is not a forum for trading illegal copies of copyrighted materials, unreleased live shows, promoting unlawful downloads, etc. The only trading that is allowed is trading of legal, original copies of released works.
    Granted the word "trading" should be amended to include "sharing".

With that said, I think your intentions are good ones and Sean has not personally objected. But understand that it's a very slippery slope in these situations.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I don't want to come off as the bad guy here, but the rule is pretty easy to find if you read the terms of service at the bottom of the page.

With that said, I think your intentions are good ones and Sean has not personally objected. But understand that it's a very slippery slope in these situations.
    Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I look at these issues from the view of an artist, which is to say if I had been planning to prepare & release an official live recording (I'm not, of course, as I wasn't involved in P'day), I'd be disappointed to see the show shared here. It takes time & effort to make a recording release-ready; I'd feel as if the wind had been let out of the sails, I guess. WHICH IS NOT A REFLECTION ON THE OP OR ON CONCERT TAPERS!! I'm speaking from personal experience in preparing material for release, only to find that a file share had eroded what little market there may have been. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy certain ROIOs and don't take any if this personally!

BD

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Thanks so much. I've started with Eccentric Orbit, which I'm listening to now.

Good stuff, Bill. Enjoyed the performance and talking with you and the rest of the band. Hope to see EO out and about again
    Same here Lou, really a pleasure hanging out with you at the show! The wheels are turning, I'm definitely wanting to capitalize on the momentum Prog Day gave us. So stay tuned!

This is not a forum for trading illegal copies of copyrighted materials, unreleased live shows, promoting unlawful downloads, etc. The only trading that is allowed is trading of legal, original copies of released works.

Yikes, I should have known that. I however agree with the approach here, but don't take it as a precedent for future threads.

Bill

"This is not a forum for trading illegal copies of copyrighted materials, unreleased live shows, promoting unlawful downloads, etc. The only trading that is allowed is trading of legal, original copies of released works. "

Well, that's pretty straightforward and I have to apologize for not reading that before posting (to be honest, I didn't even notice the Terms of Service link).

I'll refrain from posting about audience recordings here in the future. Which shouldn't be hard, since once Comcast eliminates my web site in October, I won't have space to put them up anyway.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Well, that's pretty straightforward and I have to apologize for not reading that before posting (to be honest, I didn't even notice the Terms of Service link).

I'll refrain from posting about audience recordings here in the future. Which shouldn't be hard, since once Comcast eliminates my web site in October, I won't have space to put them up anyway.
    I totally get that this is the general rule for the forum, but I can hardly imagine any of the ProgDay bands having a problem with it. It's just so DIY and seemed like all the artists were really pleased to get any extra attention!

Geezer, it was really awesome to get to meet you and hang out with you twice in two different cities. We all had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Anyone got the missing song titles from JOTC and Ut Gret?
    Track 11 on JoTC is "Guru on the Road"