Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Which new artists are today's flagships?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    Can't say that Big Big Train meets these criteria, but I do believe they are well on their way.
    They were the only ones I could think of with Muse if their 2nd or 3rd albums were the breakthrough
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Bands like Sanguine Hum, Thank You Scientist, SYNAESTHESIA may not have had as much impact
    All excellent bands, and fairly young musicians at that - and someone like Sanguine Hum (and their reception, for instance in that perpetual Mag, as being somewhat "difficult" or "quirky") raises the question as to whether there's very likely any significant "prog audience" to reckon with out there. Their music is intelligent, melodic, contemporary, challenging yet overall accessible.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lots of good points from everyone.

What made the 50s 60s 70s etc so amazing were the "firsts" - bands/albums that had a sound unlike anything one had heard beforegb. Is there still space to find new, fresh directions in music? Can someone growing up today not absorb the influences of what came before, and really excite like never before? Tough questions.

That said, D97, close friends that they are, hold a special place for this prog fan. What they do is very fresh, to my humble ears, and I hope that they find #4 one day.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^ Has any band named so far found #4, or are we just conveniently ignoring that one?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Has any band named so far found #4, or are we just conveniently ignoring that one?
    Conveniently ignoring, I think.

A Higher Percentile compared to .......?
    This one calls for objective ranking of a type that would either have to come from a 'label', major distributor and or the band.
    These day just hearing of a band can be the result of no sales but good buzz or reviews in prominent locations.
    Just rising above the ground clutter is a significant feat, making a living, a much larger one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read - Unknown

The Dear Hunter is another one that meets most of the criteria. But no, I don't think you're going to find somebody that young whose touring has put them in the "higher percentile." As far as I can tell, Phish was the last band to achieve anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Conveniently ignoring, I think.
    Without a doubt!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

People are naming bands as prog "flagships" that I've never heard a song from, and have never seen mentioned outside PE.

I can't be the only one.

If that's the best that can be done, then there really are no longer any prog flagships.

Without reading much of this thread except the initial post I will give my own opinion.

Big five or so from the past ten years?

It depends on if we want to include prog metal or not.

It might be something like this:

Haken
    Riverside
    Big Big Train
    Phideaux
    Anathema

But then I'd be skipping a lot of bands. I am basically going by which modern bands have the most ratings/reviews on progarchives. However, I don't think any of those with maybe the exception of BBT rival TFK, SB or PT. Some people might say Magic Pie. While they are good and did headline Rosfest at least once and play there a few times but I'm not so sure. They maybe got a bit samey after a while. Also, there are probably a lot of other bands making waves that I don't know about or do not think of being super big.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 09-15-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Coheed and Cambria?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Muse
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Muse
    Well when we do that then we might sacrifice what we call traditional prog but then again that doesn't seem to be too much of a concern for our purpose here.

So aside from Muse we might have:

Coheed and Cambria
    Sigur Ros
    Tame Impala (they seem to be making waves)
    Steven Wilson (for sure but not sure a solo artist qualifies)
    Opeth (Am I the first to mention them? They would seem to be a rather obvious choice imo) Then again they might be too old.

Neither Sigur Ros or Opeth quality based on being pre 2003
    Ian

^

Oh, but 'em 'Haken' sure as heck do! I mean, how important isn't 'Haken' out there, and what single agenda is left untouched by them?

Rock/pop music is coming to an end altogether, and not least in the shape from which it emannated.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To not answer your question, the only bands i really care to hear new music from lately are echolyn, Gazpacho, Tool (maybe), Radiohead (maybe), Coheed (maybe), anything Crimson related, and all the modern jazz people. i give newer bands like Extra Life, Ni, Jack O The Clock, etc chances but these guys don't seem to have much longevity to me.

Man i DO miss Omar and Cedric making music that was GOOD though, no? Everything post Noctourniquet has left me completely fallen off the bandwagon.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 09-15-2015 at 07:09 PM.

^ Not to mention that TMV broke up about three years ago anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^ Not to mention that TMV broke up about three years ago anyway.
    Yep. Goddamn shame...i blame The Bucherettes...who are absolutely garbage IMO.

Anima Mundi. I'll buy anything they make.

There have been many good bands in the last 10 years. But "Big 5" quality? None.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Muse
    I caught them performing a song or two live on TV, maybe SNL. Anyway, wasn't hearing the Proge. Maybe on their non-singles?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Adding Thinking Plague too to the list...also MUSE?! FFS everything these guys do drives me up a wall...no dynamics nor a second gear shift.

Thinking Plague don't have much commercial potential since they are very much RIO and don't have a sound that many non prog(or experimental rock) fans would like. Aside from that they've been around since the 80's.