Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Spock's Beard's Feel Euphoria

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

Revisiting Spock's Beard's Feel Euphoria

I gave this one a spin recently - first spin in at least 2 years. And you know what? I really enjoyed it. From what my ears remember of the other "post-Neal" albums (I have them all) this one sounds most unlike the records with Neal Morse. It may have seen them trying to come up with a different sound, taking the band down a new path. Whether I'm just imagining this or not, it's still a great effort with songs that pack a punch and carry some nice melodies. The multi-part epic may be a bit cliche, but it's a treat to listen to, including the typical A Cappella section. The contemplative Ghosts of Autumn is another highlight for me. Both bonus tracks are nothing to throw away, especially the haunting From the Messenger, which I'm guessing is a Ryo penned tune but can't see anywhere in the booklet that gives writing credits for this one.

How do others feel about this one (can you believe it came out 12 years ago)?

I still have a fond feeling for it, though it's really obvious everyone (with the possible surprise exception of Dave Meros) was just starting to stretch their songwriting legs. "Onomatopoeia," "Feel Euphoria," "East of Eden, West of Memphis" all feel a bit one-note and straightforward compared to the lush stuff Neal was producing. But as you said, there was "Ghosts of Autumn," as well as "Carry On," which was a pretty anthemic grand finale.

So I kind of like the "raw release" of doing it themselves, but I don't think they really nailed it down to perfection until X. And then Nick leaves!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like it. Parts of it are a tad tedious, like Bottom Line; overwrought like Onemotopea, overreaching like A Guy Named Sid, or just plain forgettable like the title track. But tracks like Ghosts of Autumn, Carry On, East of Eden West of Memphis and Shining Star are gems.

Although I think it was a bit rushed and it shows, I still like most of it. Like others have mentioned "Ghosts Of Autumn" is one of the most beautiful little songs the band has ever done in any incarnation. "East Of Eden" is a great song. There is nothing I hate on it, and a lot that I enjoy.

I listen to this and when I pull the cd out I have forgotten everything I listened to. Nothing sticks with me at all. I'll throw it in while I'm out tomorrow and see if that changes but I've had the thing for quite some time now and it's never stuck with me.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

a good reboot at the time but, yes, quite a rush job and – in hindsight – somewhat throwaway. wasn't this released a mere 8 months after “snow”?

Love this one. Love everything about it except the simply awful title track, which is probably the worst thing in their catalog.

But I give them credit for trying something new and trying to find their way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh I was just praising this album in another SB thread. I was already into SB when this one came out (though I think I mainly knew The Kindness of Strangers and V) but didn't mind the change in direction at all. Loved it then, love it now. Pretty much all of it actually.

I never thought there was anything lacking in the songwriting department, it is more straightforward but that just makes it rock harder than the Neal albums I think. A Guy Named Sid is a ton of fun, so is Onomatopoeia, Ghosts of Autumn is gorgeous etc. I could go on about all the songs really (yes, love the title track as well, though yes, that one is not really a song - it's weird, but again, fun).

NDV really won me over as a singer with this album.

I got it when it was released. Wasn't sure what to expect. After Snow, and Neal's departure I wasn't sure what was going on with Spocks. At the time I was fanatical about them. I was a member of their official forum. Most didn't like the change. It was too abrupt. I wasn't sure I liked the album that much but after a few spins it took hold. It's the only post-Neal album I have. I like the Sid epic and at least 3 other tracks are very symphonic/prog. Haven't played it in so long I barely remember the tracks. I will say that I do like it more than Snow. Snow was the beginning of the end for me, and I might've even felt that "V" was when they started becoming too predictable for me, but it's still a fine album. Octane is where I jumped ship. The Beard formula just lost all its lustre for me, and I moved on. But overall, FE was a good album considering all the changes the band went through. I'll dig the album out this week and give it a spin.

I didn't really like it, and it was actually one of the first albums of theirs I heard (I didn't know what was what at the time, in terms of the line-up). For reasons unknown to me now, I also checked out the next two Morse-less albums, but they were much the same in quality I thought- too much bland AOR stuff. The last three or so I have not heard. By then, I'd moved away from them (and The Flower Kings/Dream Theater/Transatlantic etc.), although I saw Spock's Beard in 2008 and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'll still play the Morse-era SB albums from time to time.

"Ghosts Of Autumn" is a gorgeous song, and I love that middle section that sounds like it could have been on A Trick Of The Tail. There are a couple of other decent tracks... I do love that a capella section of "A Guy Named Sid", but unfortunately they didn't seem to know how to come out of it, so the transition into the next section is jarring and awkward.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Ghosts Of Autumn" is a gorgeous song, and I love that middle section that sounds like it could have been on A Trick Of The Tail. There are a couple of other decent tracks... I do love that a capella section of "A Guy Named Sid", but unfortunately they didn't seem to know how to come out of it, so the transition into the next section is jarring and awkward.
    The middle section of GOA sounds like Kansas to me. The Sid epic sounds very cut-n-paste but I still dig the hell out of it. I'm gonna play the album this weekend. I wasn't planning to but I found the CD while looking for some other CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The Sid epic sounds very cut-n-paste but I still dig the hell out of it.
    The Sid epic reminds me of Yes' "Fly from Here" epic - the individual pieces are mostly pretty good, but the transitions don't work very well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Other than the title-track, I think this is a pretty good album. I'd put it in the top half of the Spock's Beard album league table :-)
    The only NDV-led album that I find rather weak is the self-titled ninth album, but Octane and X either side of it are very much to my liking.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I did not feel the euphoria so passed on Octane and jumped ship until X/X Live, both of which I thought were quite good, and have been back on board the Beardship ever since.

Not originally. Originally Nick's demo had the fast sequence from the beginning going again, and the heavy rock guitar riff came in against that without losing the sequence. The counterpoint was thrilling and tied the whole piece together beautifully! But as much as he fought for it in the studio, the band outvoted him and thought the heavy rock guitar sounded better without that sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    " I do love that a capella section of "A Guy Named Sid", but unfortunately they didn't seem to know how to come out of it, so the transition into the next section is jarring and awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Sid epic reminds me of Yes' "Fly from Here" epic - the individual pieces are mostly pretty good, but the transitions don't work very well.
    I think I heard the FFH epic on youtube a few years ago. Yeah it's cut-n-pastey. Never bothered with FFH or the recent one that's been ripped like no Yes album ever.

I did revisit this the other day. While it was better than I remembered, it just doesn't work for me.

No biggie, there's lots of other music of theirs I do enjoy.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Originally Nick's demo had the fast sequence from the beginning going again, and the heavy rock guitar riff came in against that without losing the sequence.
    Is this demo available anywhere? Would love to hear Nick's original version of Sid.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Is this demo available anywhere? Would love to hear Nick's original version of Sid.
    Not that I know of; I was lucky enough to get to hear it when Nick was at the Modern Drummer festival and we got to do a short hang. Maybe they'll release it some day....

I don't think Nick's version of the band really got comfortable until the self-titled album. I like some of the songs on the previous two (though the live albums are much better), but the magic didn't come back for me until the self-titled album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm MAKING myself revisit this this morning, like taking my cod liver oil (hadn't cared for it when it was released, but not being a BIG SB fan I didn't listen much). After forging through the first few tracks and up to the second part of A Guy Named Sid, it's better than I gave it credit for at the time.

One thing though (and I know I asked a similar question in the recent Snow thread, but in this case it seems more warranted: why is this in a clamshell box to house ONE CD and a booklet? I HOPE it wasn't so InsideOut could include their sampler disk, or that if that was the reason they charged the same price as for a regular single CD. Cause I didn't ask for a sampler CD. Sure, the box is nice, but totally unnecessary, unless there's something I'm not thinking of.

My theory is that the packaging was extra nice to encourage people to buy it. It was also released before we even knew what Neal Morse's plans were - which he intended that way to support his 'jilted' former band.

I like some of it but soon got bored and sold it, haven't heard an SB album since.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I like some of it but soon got bored and sold it, haven't heard an SB album since.
    You're definitely missing out because FE is by far the weakest of their post-Neal albums.

The CD I bought had a bonus CD, a kind of sampler. Pretty good actually.