Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPOCK'S BEARD - The First 20 Years (w/new Neal Morse-penned epic!)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was it? I remember Pete saying he wrote the Rose Colored Glasses part - did he write the main theme too? If so, cool. I always wished I could somehow know more about who in Marillion came up with the different parts of their albums, but they somehow don't seem to share that info, probably because it's just hard to know.

I know the Marillion boys always say Pete is actually the most musical of them all, so I wouldn't be surprised really...
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Rose Colored Glasses part was by Neal (a bit he was working on about is father).

Pete wrote the part that became the very first vocal section of the song (the part that Roine sings after the overture intro), and it shows up again at other points. In the Making Of video, it showed him demoing that part to the other guys. Maybe I was mistaken in calling it the "main theme", as I'm apparently confused about which theme would be the main one on that album -- there are quite a few!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Hmmmm, I wonder if there will be any tracks on it from those first few albums after Neal Morse left.
    The second disc is all post-Neal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Look earlier in this thread, the tracks are posted.
    Well, I don't actually own those so I wouldn't be able to tell unless I looked them up. I was just curious.

Edit: I get it now. There seems to be one song per album on disc two.

This double-disc release contains one track from each Spock's Beard studio album.

The bundles don't come with the FC albums. Bummer. I wouldn't mind the few extra bucks for the albums. But I see I can get the albums with a t-shirt, so I'll just get that with the SB/FC BluRay set.

Meh, it's only money. Might as well spend it on something that I will enjoy. Who needs food?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This double-disc release contains one track from each Spock's Beard studio album.
    Not exactly. More like 1 or 2 tracks from each album.

CD1:
    The Light- (The Light)
    Thoughts- (Beware of Darkness)
    The Doorway- (Beware of Darkness)
    June- (Kindness of Strangers)
    Day for Night- (Day For Night)
    At the end of the day- (V)
    Solitary Soul- (Snow)
    Wind At My Back. (Snow)

CD2:
    The Bottom Line- (Feel Euphoria)
    She is Everything- (Octane)
    On A Perfect Day- (Spock's Beard)
    Jaws of Heaven- ( X )
    Waiting for Me- (Brief Nocturnes)
    Tides Of Time- (Oblivion Particle)
    Falling for Forever (new song).

Auto buy!

Was it? I remember Pete saying he wrote the Rose Colored Glasses part
    That was definitely Neal, about his father passing away.

I would be interested in seeing people's rankings of the post Neal SB albums. There are a couple I really haven't listened to, and I might give them a listen. Heard a bit of the latest and it sounded pretty good, but I need to fill in some holes first.
    Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
    Octane (2-disc)
    Oblivion Particle
    Feel Euphoria
    X
    Spock's Beard

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Pete wrote the part that became the very first vocal section of the song (the part that Roine sings after the overture intro), and it shows up again at other points. In the Making Of video, it showed him demoing that part to the other guys. Maybe I was mistaken in calling it the "main theme", as I'm apparently confused about which theme would be the main one on that album -- there are quite a few!
    Yeah, and you can't even determine which is the 'main' theme by whether or not it repeats throughout - because so many of them do!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That was definitely Neal, about his father passing away.
    Thanks to my friendship with MitM Neal dedicated that song to me during the TA concert in New York 5 years ago on the day I lost my father, a gesture I will never forget (from both).

I would be interested in seeing people's rankings of the post Neal SB albums.
    Feel Euphoria
    X
    Brief Nocturnes
    Octane (The 'A Flash Before My Eyes' suite is up there with the top 3 though)
    The Oblivion Particle (this might come up as I listen to it more)
    SB (always felt this one was a bit patchier than usual with them, but it still has lots of stuff I like on it)

I remember seeing them live in London between SB and X, they did The Bottom Line and Onomatopoeia (as an encore to boot) which I absolutely love but pretty much everyone else around me looked completely indifferent. Disheartening...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Feel Euphoria
    X
    Brief Nocturnes
    Octane (The 'A Flash Before My Eyes' suite is up there with the top 3 though)
    The Oblivion Particle (this might come up as I listen to it more)
    SB (always felt this one was a bit patchier than usual with them, but it still has lots of stuff I like on it)
    My list of post-Neal albums is almost the same as yours except I put Feel Euphoria at the bottom (by far)

X
    Brief Nocturnes
    Octane
    SB (very patchy but the best stuff is great)
    The Oblivion Particle (pretty low for now, unless it grows on me)
    Feel Euphoria

As far as I can tell from the lists already made, people have very different opinions of those albums and there doesn't seem to be one that's clearly better rated than the rest (although it's definitely X for me)
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I remember seeing them live in London between SB and X, they did The Bottom Line and Onomatopoeia (as an encore to boot) which I absolutely love but pretty much everyone else around me looked completely indifferent. Disheartening...
    Nice. I thought I was the only SB fan who loved "Onomatopoeia."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    You know, I have every SB release and I'm still all over this like a cheap suit. Can't wait for it. The bonus track sounds great; I really don't mind them getting an injection of Neal once in a while. I loved "Waiting For Me" and it's on its way to becoming my favorite SB track ever.
    All Over This (Like A Cheap Suit), isn't that a Spock's Beard song?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    My list of post-Neal albums is almost the same as yours except I put Feel Euphoria at the bottom (by far)

X
    Brief Nocturnes
    Octane
    SB (very patchy but the best stuff is great)
    The Oblivion Particle (pretty low for now, unless it grows on me)
    Feel Euphoria

As far as I can tell from the lists already made, people have very different opinions of those albums and there doesn't seem to be one that's clearly better rated than the rest (although it's definitely X for me)
    Mine goes like this:

The Oblivion Particle
    X
    Spock's Beard
    Octane
    Feel Euphoria

Yep, I've got the new one on top. Really digging it.
    The Prog Corner

My list, without looking at anyone else's:

X - Love every song (though I prefer the edit of "Their Names Escape Me")
    Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (I'll call it, "Waiting For Me" is my favorite SB track ever)
    Octane ("Follow Me To Sleep" and "As Long As We Ride" are favorites)
    Feel Euphoria
    The Oblivion Particle (just hasn't grown on me yet! It will, I'm sure)
    SB9
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Feel Euphoria definitely seems to be quite unpopular in general. I wonder if that's definitely down to the album's merits, or does it simply suffer from being the first post-Neal album and thus very different from what came before. I love it, love the harder edge and more modern rock (in places even metal) approach they took with it, and really enjoy NDV's singing.

X on the other hand seems to be pretty highly regarded (deservedly so), and was seen as some sort of "return to form" (a phrase I hate as it is too often used every time a band releases a new album, effectively dismissing the albums before it).

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Not exactly. More like 1 or 2 tracks from each album.

CD1:
    The Light- (The Light)
    Thoughts- (Beware of Darkness)
    The Doorway- (Beware of Darkness)
    June- (Kindness of Strangers)
    Day for Night- (Day For Night)
    At the end of the day- (V)
    Solitary Soul- (Snow)
    Wind At My Back. (Snow)

CD2:
    The Bottom Line- (Feel Euphoria)
    She is Everything- (Octane)
    On A Perfect Day- (Spock's Beard)
    Jaws of Heaven- ( X )
    Waiting for Me- (Brief Nocturnes)
    Tides Of Time- (Oblivion Particle)
    Falling for Forever (new song).
    Yeah, I meant to write: contains at least one track from each Spock's Beard studio album.

Nice. I thought I was the only SB fan who loved "Onomatopoeia."
    Probably not too many of us out there. I still remember hearing it for the first time. That riff just hits you right in the face from out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    X - Love every song (though I prefer the edit of "Their Names Escape Me")
    Where can I find this edit???
    I love the song but obviously the "names" section is a bit tedious.
    I remember the band talking about releasing an edit but I must have lost track afterwards.

I remember the band talking about releasing an edit but I must have lost track afterwards.
    Check Itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Check Itunes.
    Thanks.
    I just checked on iTunes: they have a version that clocks in at 8'51. How's that an edit?
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Thanks.
    I just checked on iTunes: they have a version that clocks in at 8'51. How's that an edit?
    It doesn't have the names spoken in it.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Mine goes like this:

The Oblivion Particle
    X
    Spock's Beard
    Octane
    Feel Euphoria

Yep, I've got the new one on top. Really digging it.
    Yes, in fact your list goes in reverse chronological order from top to bottom!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It doesn't have the names spoken in it.
    I've just sampled that track on Itunes and it has the names. I too would like a full version without the names... I made my own 'edit' where it just fades out before the names.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've just sampled that track on Itunes and it has the names. I too would like a full version without the names... I made my own 'edit' where it just fades out before the names.
    The band released one without the names being spoken in it, but only digitally. It's supposed to be on iTunes; not sure what's up with that. :\

And even though I know my opinion carries no weight (nor should it), I think the "name" section of that song is the best part -- and my name's not even in the list. I just like the music and the way Nick delivers it, with the intensity building continually until the end (although it is broken up by that eerie organ interlude).
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021