Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPOCK'S BEARD - The First 20 Years (w/new Neal Morse-penned epic!)

I didn't mind it the first few times, but now it just doesn't work for me. I'd like that one posted above. ^^^
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, in fact your list goes in reverse chronological order from top to bottom!
    OMG!!! I just noticed that!!!

Weird. Maybe I'm just getting more and more used to the Beard without Neal.
    The Prog Corner

1. Spock’s Beard
    2. Brief Nocturnes
    3. X
    4. Octane
    5. Feel Euphoria

I am not going to count the new one as I just got it and have only had the chance to give it one listen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    And even though I know my opinion carries no weight (nor should it), I think the "name" section of that song is the best part -- and my name's not even in the list.
    It's funny; back when they were doing the Kickstarter, I seriously considered donating at that level to get my name in there. But then there were medical issues in my family I had to take care of, and priorities set in. I always regretted that I didn't just go into a little more debt over it...

...until recently. I've been a fan of a certain podcast, and because I keep writing in, my name gets mentioned. A LOT. By the fourth time, I was feeling ill at ease and a little embarrassed. And I think I would have felt the same way after ten plays of hearing my name on this song; eventually I would have tried to avoid it for that reason.

That final section just feels tedious now with the names. The nameless version works better as an artistic whole, and I love the wailing sax they added to it. The edit I had, actually, was one I made myself. I just cut out the names part and stitched the remaining two parts together. It doesn't work as well as the linked YT version does, for sure.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean "Stranger In Your Soul"? Neal Morse released his original Whirlwind demo a while back and most of the main themes you hear on that album came from him. Pete did write that main "Stranger" theme on piano though.

As for the Nick era, I agree that there are some great tracks! Including some I rarely hear mentioned, like "There Was A Time", "Follow Me To Sleep", "Their Names Escape Me" (the first half anyway), "All That's Left"...
    We did a trio version of "Follow Me To Sleep" at a house concert back in November 2014. It's raw, with a lot of fun moments. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I think Gruno needs to edit this to only include the part with his name, since that's the best part.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think Gruno needs to edit this to only include the part with his name, since that's the best part.
    Name so nice, they sang it twice.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This will depend on price for me. I'd like the new track, but I don't want to spend a lot on duplicates.

And why not:

X
    Octane
    Spock's Beard
    Feel Euphoria
    Brief...

I have the new one but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Unfashionable though it may be, my favourite post-Neal albums are, in order:
    X
    Octane
    Feel Euphoria
    Brief Nocturnes
    The Oblivion Particle
    Spock's Beard (9)

There's barely anything between the top three, then the two with Ted Leonard some a little way after, and then, alas, (9) is right at the bottom of the heap (though I like about half of it well enough)

I'm looking forward to the new 19-minute epic featuring all members past and present, though I'd quibble a bit with the track-list of the compilation; I'd put "Go the way you go" in there instead of "The Light" (though that's a tough one to call), and I'd put "Crack the big sky" on there instead of "Day for night". In a perfect world, I'd include "The Great Nothing", and then add a third disc containing a cleverly edited single-disc version of Snow.

I should add the disclaimer that I think Neal Morse's last two prog albums, Momentum and The Grand Experiment, have the edge over the acceptable stuff his former band has put out since NDV left. Which means there's no direct connection at all, and that I guess I'm lucky to have so much Spock's-related stuff to enjoy!

This needed to be a three disc set in my opinion - so that more from every album from Kindness Of Strangers on could have been included....

I'm lazy and don't want to look it up. When will this be shipped? I see they are close but I have no clue if I should expect this sooner or later. I know it'll show up eventually just wondering when.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Ask and ye shall receive, eh?

I have the Progfest '97 dvd. Looks and sounds nowhere near as good as these clips. Neil's 12 string is a bit much but that may be because I have shitty speakers.

Nice to see this span the whole history and everyone is included. Fun footage recording in someones bathroom or laundry room. Oh, it's the attic. Cool seeing Neil record the actual vocal parts.

Dubba dubba da - CHA! Split your hands. I have no idea about that but it sounds funny.

Forgot about the song. Nice. Listening to the discs now and they sound really good.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-14-2015 at 08:26 PM.

... and I'd have picked different tracks from Snow, but I guess we all have our favorites.....

Yeah, I would have gone with Bennett from the latest but it's not a bad collection. It's a no win situation unless you do it yourself.

Jimmy even laughs about this on the dvd because he doesn't have to make the decision.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-14-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I'm lazy and don't want to look it up. When will this be shipped? I see they are close but I have no clue if I should expect this sooner or later. I know it'll show up eventually just wondering when.
    It came in the mail yesterday (I ordered from Radiant and got the signed poster) The new track is very good. Lots to digest in it and I have only listened to it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    It came in the mail yesterday (I ordered from Radiant and got the signed poster) The new track is very good. Lots to digest in it and I have only listened to it twice.
    About that, I've been wondering who played drums on the song and when the duel happens who is who? It doesn't say anything more than that Nick sings on it so I'm going to assume it's Jimmy. Not that it makes a difference but I was curious.

About that, I've been wondering who played drums on the song and when the duel happens who is who? It doesn't say anything more than that Nick sings on it so I'm going to assume it's Jimmy. Not that it makes a difference but I was curious.
    If you look where they printed the words to the song at the bottom right column it states Nicks drums were recorded by Mark Hornsby at Sweetwater Studios, Ft Wayne Indiana and Jimmy's by Rich Mouser at the Mouse house. I take it both played drums on it. There is some very dramatic parts in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    If you look where they printed the words to the song at the bottom right column it states Nicks drums were recorded by Mark Hornsby at Sweetwater Studios, Ft Wayne Indiana and Jimmy's by Rich Mouser at the Mouse house. I take it both played drums on it. There is some very dramatic parts in there.
    Yeah, they both played on it but who does what? I assuming Jimmy plays the actual drums on the song as he's the guy who is in the band but I would not be surprised if they let Nick do it as he's part of the family. Probably not, but hey. In the drum duel sequence it's hard to tell.

Who does what? If they both played drums on the song, are you asking for a definition of what sections were done by each drummer?

Who does what? If they both played drums on the song, are you asking for a definition of what sections were done by each drummer?
    That is what I think he meant. They didn't define the minutes when Jimmy or Nick was playing. Could be wrong but it sounds like a couple of spots there were 2 drummers.

Possibly could have worded that better but you did get my point, so not a complete failure on my part. A little breakdown of at least the duel part would have been nice but maybe I can glean some clues with a careful listen.

Maybe not, as I did listen a few times while out and about today and I really have no clue who is playing at any point in this song. Meaningless, nitpicky information it may be but I'd still like to know.

Possibly could have worded that better but you did get my point, so not a complete failure on my part. A little breakdown of at least the duel part would have been nice but maybe I can glean some clues with a careful listen.

Maybe not, as I did listen a few times while out and about today and I really have no clue who is playing at any point in this song. Meaningless, nitpicky information it may be but I'd still like to know.
    Yeah, I don't know of anyone who mentions which musician plays at a certain part of the song.

Best to ask Jimmy on FaceBook. He loves to chat and respond to fans and he loves to chat. Have I mentioned that he LOVES to chat?? I would say that is your best bet at finding this information.

Yeah, I don't know of anyone who mentions which musician plays at a certain part of the song.

Best to ask Jimmy on FaceBook. He loves to chat and respond to fans and he loves to chat. Have I mentioned that he LOVES to chat?? I would say that is your best bet at finding this information.
    Really? What is so odd that I would like to know which drummer is which, when they are doing a drum off? I may be a failed drummer but I still am a drummer so it doesn't seem odd to ask which guy is playing. It's my instrument of choice so I'm curious.

Judas Priest used to put in the lyrics who played on the solos and it's especially nice in tunes like The Sentinel where they switch multiple times so what is so different here? Heck, I think it's odd to not ask, at least for a geek like myself. No big deal, each to his own and all that.

Anyway, it's meaningless. Since I am not on Facebook I won't be chatting with Jimmy but thanks for the tip.

Falling For Forever. I seem to hear at least one little riff from a Neal era tune, Thoughts. Maybe others but I'm not sure. Anyone hear anything like that, little nods to older tunes?

Really? What is so odd that I would like to know which drummer is which, when they are doing a drum off?
    I was replying to you wishing the sections to be stated in the booklet:

A little breakdown of at least the duel part would have been nice

No big deal.