Thread: Robert Plant

Robert Plant

Just saw Robert this past weekend at http://www.locknfestival.com/lineup/schedule-2015.html
    Gotta say he's held up well.. Amazing "twist" on classic Zep songs that made them sound fresh and new.. Great band he's with right now.. Having grown up listening to Zep music till we knew every drum fill, guitar lick and scream from Robert this weekend he really impressed me.. I know lots of folks want him and Jimmy to "do it again".. I'm fine if they don't..

JEZUZ!!! What a line up! Now THATS a festival!
    And agree, Plant has really grabbed my attention with the string of albums he's put out in the last few years. He doesn't sing like he did with zeppelin, not just because of his age, but uses his voice much more like an instrument. Really impressive vocalist. It feels like he's grown and evolved much like Jeff Beck. Hasn't sat back on the laurels of days long since vanished from their rear view mirrors. And I couldn't care less if he NEVER doses anything with page again.

Agree with all of this. He has always followed his muse. I think he'd work with Page in the right circumstance and I would be fine if it happened or it didn't.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    And agree, Plant has really grabbed my attention with the string of albums he's put out in the last few years. He doesn't sing like he did with zeppelin, not just because of his age, but uses his voice much more like an instrument. Really impressive vocalist. It feels like he's grown and evolved much like Jeff Beck. Hasn't sat back on the laurels of days long since vanished from their rear view mirrors. And I couldn't care less if he NEVER doses anything with page again.
    Yup, quite the line-up

I'd probably have enjoyed staying the whole w-e there if in the vicinity

Plant's newer ventures don't do anything for me, but I must say the Dreamland still stickes iut as my fave post-Zep album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Plant has been on quite the creative roll for the past decade or so, putting out some great understated albums. His most recent is really good IMO.

I have to agree. I think Robert Plant has done himself well by not sticking with any one precise formula (even though his roots will always manage to emerge strongly in whatever he does). He makes excellent use of his existing vocal range and has a knack for selecting great musicians to work with. It would be easy enough for him to retire and ride out the rest of his existence on what he's done, but I hope he continues to evolve like this. It does seem as though he's set on continuing, too.

Ditto on working with Jimmy Page again. I'm all for it if it suits him but don't really care if it ends up not ever happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Agree with all of this. He has always followed his muse. I think he'd work with Page in the right circumstance and I would be fine if it happened or it didn't.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Ditto on working with Jimmy Page again. I'm all for it if it suits him but don't really care if it ends up not ever happening again.
    Yup, don't care if they ever reconvene or not, but I recently saw (finally) their O2 performance, and it was much better than what I could've expected (though I'd heard of "how good it was" for years)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Always liked what Plant has done on a solo basis over the years....but the last 3 albums haven't really interested me as much as the earlier ones.
    I did like Mighty Re-arranger and Dreamland...but I honestly prefer his earlier 'rock-pop' things and mostly listen to the anthology called 66 to Timbuktu which has some interesting rarities on it.
    I do give him credit for doing what his muse tells him and not just rehashing Zep.

I really enjoyed 'Raising Sand' w. Alison Krauss and 'Band of Joy' (2011 version).
    I am a bluegrass alt/country fan so it works well for me.
    The Sensational Space Shifters was interesting , but not all that interesting.
    Had front row seats so that was kind of neat.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I love all Plant solo stuff and wish he'd feature more of it in his solo shows. I've got his entire catalog and it's just fantastic, from the Robbie Blunt era in the early 80's up to his latest band. There's some great tracks on every album he's released including his latest. Check out his crooning on "A Stolen Kiss", like nothing he's done before!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    I love all Plant solo stuff and wish he'd feature more of it in his solo shows. I've got his entire catalog and it's just fantastic, from the Robbie Blunt era in the early 80's up to his latest band. There's some great tracks on every album he's released including his latest. Check out his crooning on "A Stolen Kiss", like nothing he's done before!
    This is what I'm talking about, such a beautiful song, beautifully brought to life. Wow! Thanks for introducing me to that.

best of his solo was Shake'n'Stirred. forgot who played guitar on that one, but that was freakin awesome (was it R Blunt). Whish he could go that direction and not "39 Palms" or something...

I love the last few albums (then again, I've loved all of his solo work). Like Ian Gillan, he's learned to sing with the voice he has and it has made him a better singer. I got a few live shows, there was a sensational one at the BBC Electric Proms with Buddy Miller and then a Shapeshifters show from London downloaded from iTunes. No matter what the band, he still puts on a devastating performance.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Exactly. Classic definition of musical growth. Good stuff.