Thread: R.I.P Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)

R.I.P Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)

I know he has been out of the limelight for a while now, but sad to hear of this news.

Kevin Cronin posted on the REO Facebook page:

Hi friends, kc here. My longtime friend and collaborator Gary Richrath passed away earlier today. I feel so sad. Gary was both a unique guitarist and songwriter, and the embodiment of the tough guy with a heart of gold. I learned most of what I know about being in a rock band from Gary Richrath. The entire REO Family mourns his death and shares in the grief of his family, friends, and fans. These words do not come close to expressing the depth of emotions I am feeling at this time...kc
    PS. This photo has been on my music room table for as long as I can remember, and will stay there.

It was pretty cool to see him join R.E.O. on stage in 2013 for a special appearance:

Last edited by Dan Roth; 09-14-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Such sad news.

Gary was a wonderful guitarist, one of the few who sounded like nobody else. Outstanding songwriter too with a real sense of melody.

As a callow youth, my first trip to a big rock show was R.E.O. at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Wheels Are Turnin' tour. Gary - & the rest of the band, to be fair - were fantastic with fans after the show. Seemed to have all the time in the world for us.

Fond memories of a fine man.

Very sad, I saw REO first back in 1981 and it was a great show, always a great live band. Having gone to college in Champaign, IL, where REO is from, always a big fan. Gary will be missed

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. I did not know he was in poor health. Rest in peace, Gary.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

RIP Gary. REO was pretty ubiquitous here in the Midwest, especially before that High Infidelity album. They were one hard-working band back in the day. Gary was never going to be listed in the guitar greats but he had a gift for a melodic solo and a really really fine tone, a thick full sound that could cut through the acoustics of any hockey arena.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If you grew up in the Midwest in the 70’s like I did, REO Speedwagon was constantly in your car stereo and since they played your hometown every year you saw them multiple times. Richrath was the man on guitar back then. He had a style all his own and was a big part of the reason REO got as popular as they did. Unfortunately substance abuse issues eventually forced him out of the band and from what I have read his demons continued to get the best of him throughout his life. This is sad news either way. RIP Gary Richrath. I think I am going to pull out "Live You Get What You Play For" to listen to on my way to work this afternoon.

Last edited by SteveSly; 09-14-2015 at 12:17 PM.

I saw REO headlining a triple bill with Starz with Judas Priest opening in 1977.

I loved his style and fat Les paul tone. I remember he played barefoot with a big smile!

RIP Gary
    Last edited by nosebone; 09-14-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Gary was never going to be listed in the guitar greats but he had a gift for a melodic solo and a really really fine tone, a thick full sound that could cut through the acoustics of any hockey arena.
    That, he did. Serious crunch. RIP. Rest easy, Gary.

I wish Sony or the band would release something from those late 70s tours, before the ballads kicked in but they were playing larger arenas. I saw a show in that run in a college fieldhouse, must have been close to 12000 in the house that night. Closest thing to a ballad that night was "Time for Me to Fly", which Richrath thoroughly blasted apart with big power chords. Bonus points for Kevin being less of a douche onstage as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember their live clips in constant rotation on early Mtv. He certainly had a thick tone, and a melodic touch for soloing. Sorry that his demons got the better of him. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wish Sony or the band would release something from those late 70s tours, before the ballads kicked in but they were playing larger arenas. I saw a show in that run in a college fieldhouse, must have been close to 12000 in the house that night. Closest thing to a ballad that night was "Time for Me to Fly", which Richrath thoroughly blasted apart with big power chords. Bonus points for Kevin being less of a douche onstage as well.
    Agreed, before they became the kings of the power ballad REO were simply a kick ass Midwestern rock n roll band. They toured constantly and were a killer live act.

I always thought the song "One Too Many Girfriends" written by Kevin Cronin about Gary summed up his problems pretty well. Girlfriends is a thinly disguised reference to drugs and Richrath's general fast lane lifestyle:

"Talkin' 'bout a hot-wired kid who thought he knew it all
    And what he didn't know, he didn't need to
    Changin' women like tires when their use wore thin
    Retread feelings, that's all we knew
    He's been runnin' lights for years, grindin' down those forward gears
    He's got a lady in the back seat, lady in the front seat
    Eyes on the road and whispers in both ears
    One too many girlfriends, and too little feeling left
    He better find the one, he's gonna take on the run, before it runs him down
    He's got far too many choices, he better make a few of them
    He wants to have it all, and wind up standin' tall
    I hope his dream never ends, I guess it just depends
    He's got one too many girlfriends
    Well there's so damn much writin' written on his walls
    I can't imagine that he doesn't read it
    Such a loud clear message screaming through the halls
    Keep your advice, he don't need it
    He's heard of living up to the truth, thinks it means giving up his youth
    He doesn't wanna get a haircut, looking for a shortcut
    He needs a change, he needs more than a phone booth
    Whooo, there's anger and romance at every turn
    Whooo, be careful boy that you don't crash and burn
    You're in about as deep as you can get
    It's a matter of time before you get wet
    I wouldn't be in your shoes on a bet
    He's been runnin' lights for years, grindin' down those forward gears
    He's got a lady in the back seat, lady in the front seat
    Eyes on the road and whispers in both ears"

Bruce Hall, REO Speedwagon bassist wrote this on his Facebook:

It’s hard to find the right words to say when you lose a loved one, I guess that’s because you don’t believe at first that it’s real. So, when I first heard about Gary passing away yesterday, I didn’t want to believe it at first. But after talking to a couple of friends about it, I knew it was true,..Gary was gone.

He was my friend and my musical big brother and if it weren’t for Gary, I doubt that I would have been asked to join REO Speedwagon way back in 1977. It was Gary that called me and asked me if I was ready to join REO, and it wasn’t so much that he asked me, he said “it’s time for you to pack up your stuff, you’re movin to California. We’ve only got 2 weeks of rehearsals and then a gig in Globe/Miami, Arizona." I was on a plane within 24hrs headed for Los Angeles. In 1968 Gary and I played together in a band called Feather Train before he joined REO, and we became close friends at that time. He was so good on the guitar even then, but he was still working on that signature sound and style that he became known for. He told me when he left Feather Train that someday we would play together again, and he kept his word on that. With that one phone call he changed my life forever and I will always be indebted to him for that.

Through the years we played music together and shared some fun times together. He was a few years older than me and I looked up to him like a big brother, in fact he treated me like his own brother and I loved him dearly. I’m gonna miss my friend and big brother Gary, he was one of a kind. Every night from now on, when REO plays a show, each time that we play one of Gary's songs I will think of him and smile. My heart is heavy with sorrow today but he will live forever through his music. Thank you Gary… I’m gonna miss you. Bruce

You always remember your first....the Spectrum in Norfolk VA, 1975. First rock concert with Trooper, REO, and BTO headlining. Couldn't get a more meat and potatoes concert than that. REO closed their set with a fierce rendition of Ridin the Storm Out which to my 15 yo brain sounded as fierce and magical as any prog I was listening to, complete with howling Arp (or was it a moog). Roll with the Changes still has one of the best B3 solos of any hit song...and Gary's tone was great. My second favorite heartland guitarist from the 70s after Tommy Bolin. RIP

RIP Gary

As mentioned in other posts here , I am also from the Midwest and also grew up in the 70's , I saw REO many times before they hit it big commercially and it was always a great show. Gary was a huge reason for that , a very good guitarist in a very good band. RIP Gary!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My two REO stories:

Once when I was in 12th grade a friend asked me if I wanted to go to an REO concert and I said sure even though I really didn't know any of their songs. Supposedly he would be able to obtain some "weed." It never happened (the concert or weed) which is probably a good thing.

For some reason not too long after that my Mom bought me some random rock t shirts. I guess I desperately needed t-shirts. One was an REO shirt. One day I went with some friends to help paint a friend's cabin. We all showed up in our least favorite rock t shirts so we could get paint all over them. Of course, mine was the REO one.

I really don't know much about REO - we called them REO Meatwagon and thought they sucked, but I really can't say - I'm sure they rocked out plenty.

Whatever, I'm sad to hear about this - I feel bad for all these musicians losing their friends. It's part of life, we all have to deal with it, but it would be nice if REO just carried on, even if I'm not familiar with them... RIP Gary.

Tribute from Ted Nugent:

"Killer guitarist, brilliant songwriter & gentleman Gary Richrath has gone to the BigJam in the sky! REO toured with me for many years in the early days & ol Gary would ROCKOUT every night every gig every song! Godspeed my sonic bombast BloodBrother! JamOn like ya mean my friend!"

Very sad to hear about this. I was never much of an REO fan (by the time they broke in the UK they were very much into their syrupy power ballad phase), but Richrath even then was clearly an outstanding player. Great tone and a very unique approach to lead guitar playing. RIP.

A pretty touching tribute from Kevin Cronin:

Thanks for posting that. I have always thought Cronin was a class act and that was a very nice tribute.