Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands Once Established, Changed Dramatically

David Bowie
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Chicago. That's a good one. They pulled a Genesis with Peter Cetera.

Peter Cetera ruined Chicago.
    No he didn't. David Foster, maybe.

Kansas- from the (more than a little, to my ears) prog-tinged sound of their '70s output to the group of the '80s.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Rush

Porcupine Tree
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    the shame that is singing a duet with Crystal Bernard...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Chicago. That's a good one. They pulled a Genesis with Peter Cetera.

Peter Cetera ruined Chicago.
    Collaborative effort.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Anybody mention T-Rex yet?

(EDIT: nvm --- Post 18)

Humble Pie. After getting a lot of attention with hard rock/blues-based "Rockin' the Fillmore" and following that up with the similar "Smokin'" (although without Peter Frampton's jazzy guitar lines), they did a sharp left turn into soul/R&B-influenced rock with "Eat It", then to a lesser degree with "Thunderbox" before fizzling out with "Street Rats".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I hadn't really thought about how many bands have changed dramatically, but based on all your posts, it's pretty much everyone...

Maybe we should change this thread to "what band didn't change dramatically over the years?"

The Fleshtones? Skynyrd?

Beau Brummels
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I hadn't really thought about how many bands have changed dramatically, but based on all your posts, it's pretty much everyone...

Maybe we should change this thread to "what band didn't change dramatically over the years?"

The Fleshtones? Skynyrd?
    AC/DC

The Fleshtones? Skynyrd?
    Rolling Stones?

I see your point, but what I was really going for are bands with such different eras it's hard to believe they're the same band. Fleetwood Mac seems to be the winner for me.

I would agree that Fleetwood Mac is the most dramatic example.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Beau Brummels
    Excellent example. From Beatle-ish beat music to countrified American cosmic music, dare I say it, slightly before that of Gram Parsons.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Re: "Peter Cetera ruined Chicago":

If we're going to blame the producer (and why not, he is after all in charge of what material makes it onto the record), I think we should blame James William Guerico, the band's original producer on their first 11 albums. Reportedly, the band didn't want If You Leave Me Now to be on Chicago X, but Guerico unilaterally overruled the band and insisted on including on the record and releasing it as a single.

But it was mostly Cetera who was writing the tacky ballads (later being assisted by Foster), and of course he was singing them. You could make the case that it was Foster who changed the band's sound, de-emphasizing the horns and relying more on synths (check out that "electric piano" on Stay The Night, or the synth bass on You're The Inspiration, as two notable examples). Reportedly, there's at least a few songs on the Foster produced albums that (surprise!) that have as many members of Toto on them as they do Chicago (and I know I've heard it said on at least Stay The Night, Cetera is the only member of Chicago on the track).

On the other hand, the tacky ballads continued after the band switched bass players and producers, so maybe it was completely their fault. Maybe it was a record company thing. Or maybe by the 80's, certain members of the band who used to contribute the superior material on the earlier albums were so out of it, they couldn't do it anymore. Or maybe Pankow and Parazadier ran out of songwriting ideas. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    the shame that is singing a duet with Crystal Bernard...
    Who?!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (check out that "electric piano" on Stay The Night, or the synth bass on You're The Inspiration, as two notable examples).
    both are Yamaha DX-7 and this is when they lost me (EDIT: actually, a lil before that with XIII is when they went "disco" and lost me -- the later "DX Hell" - period only exasperated it)...........but as far as "If You Leave Me Now", "Baby What A big Surprise", Chicago X and XI-era, I liked it.....

Ah, another band that changed dramatically:

Sweet (from bubblegum pre-teen cartoon-ish music to proto-metal -- quite a switch!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    David Bowie
    How? There was no "dramatic" change at some specific point that I can hear from one thing to another. Bowie changed with every single album.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    AC/DC
    Good example! This is probably the most clear cut case of a band that has changed absolutely nothing about their sound and has remained relevant regardless. Some albums are better, some are worse, but they all have the same "sound"... Pretty amazing, really, if you think about it!

Pretty amazing, really, if you think about it!
    Not to me. What's amazing is how bands can reinvent themselves, not those who stick to a formula. I'm not criticizing them for it. But, I see nothing amazing about it. Their market clearly asks for no more, no less. So, good for them. There's something to be said for consistency. It's like buying a McDonald's hamburger. They're consistently crappy around the world (I'm not saying AC/DC is crappy); but people know what to expect.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Doobie Brothers; from southern rock to blue-eyed soul, thanks to the enlistment of Michael McDonald.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Who?!
    she was on Wings as an incredibly paranoid and nasty girlfriend of the intensely self righteous but annoying Tim Daly character. She left to pursue a music career, which apparently was to be legitimized by a duet with Peter Cetera. If anyone can name the song, they are a far better person than I.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    she was on Wings
    Crystal was also on Happy Days for one season towards the end of it's run in the mid-80s.

Tull. This Was was a blues-rock album. Stand Up had a few blues songs. Benefit had some blues influences. Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play and War Child? Not so much; in fact, none at all.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/