Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands Once Established, Changed Dramatically

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nobody listed The Moody Blues (unless I missed it)?
    I wouldn't have said the change was all that sudden or dramatic. They just seemed to gradually run out of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't think they ever stayed with one type of sound long enough for people to get used to it.
    You could make this argument for many of the acts already listed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I wouldn't have said the change was all that sudden or dramatic. They just seemed to gradually run out of steam.
    I think he's referring to the debut being so different from what they did afterwards.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I think he's referring to the debut being so different from what they did afterwards.
    Yes. They went from a mediocre pop band to symphonic rock/prog and helped change the face of music.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Most bands change their sound with time. Even Status Quo, always the 'three chords, lol' punchline for the ignorant, started out as a pop-psych band (and had put out singles before that under different names). 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' is pretty much the only hit they had in the US, but they are one of the most successful groups ever here, on both the albums and singles charts.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Compare the first four Eloy releases, they changed right before our eyes...

are you including the self titled first album?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yea..I see what you're kind of getting at, but the general dark moody synthy vibe has always been present. I mean they didn't do a Human League and go from being a dark, moody synth band to being a vanilla pop band.
    No, they did the opposite! 'Just Can't Get Enough' is cheesy synth pop, nothing dark there.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    No, they did the opposite! 'Just Can't Get Enough' is cheesy synth pop, nothing dark there.
    as is "Dreaming of Me" but I was more-or-less addressing the technology: New technological toyz means new ways to create so a sound-change was inevitable.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Now some bands may have sounded different after their first album, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about bands that had an established sound/style over several albums and built a following on it, then changed into something very different.

Genesis (obvious one).
    Fleetwood Mac.
    Pink Floyd (the Syd era sounds nothing like the post-Syd era).

others?
    What was Genesis' dramatic change?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Henry Cow started with an almost Canterbury sound and become a lot more experimental dark and edgy.

Radiohead & Crimson are the most obvious ones of those already mentioned.

Gong changed pretty dramatically after You when they became more of a fusion band (still great stuff)

Tangerine Dreams change from Atem to Phaedra was pretty significant

Soft Machine had two or three evolution's during their prime years

Hawkwind went from the Deep Spacey sound to the Bob Calvert more punky stuff and then closer to hard rock.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Spinal Tap. Radical shift in genre almost every album!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What was Genesis' dramatic change?
    From awesome to suck?

Marillion.

From Genesis clone band to a band that sounds nothing like Genesis. They started transitioning on Clutching, but after Fish left they changed completely.

I wouldn't count the Eagles in this thread, even though they deliberately made changes to their style/sound. They started out as a country rock band (even with fake southern accents from Detroit born Glenn Fry). They eventually got rid of their country lead guitarist (from the Flying Burrito Brothers) and brought in hard rock guitarist Joe Walsh to give them a rock boost.

Yes, I hear the change, but to me they are fairly consistent sounding over their albums and didn't change that dramatically.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Henry Cow started with an almost Canterbury sound and become a lot more experimental dark and edgy.

Radiohead & Crimson are the most obvious ones of those already mentioned.

Gong changed pretty dramatically after You when they became more of a fusion band (still great stuff)

Tangerine Dreams change from Atem to Phaedra was pretty significant

Soft Machine had two or three evolution's during their prime years

Hawkwind went from the Deep Spacey sound to the Bob Calvert more punky stuff and then closer to hard rock.
    And then into electronic new agey stuff. I think the constant line up changes and frequent law suit battles have a lot to do with this.

If you want to include musicians, Knut Magne Valle is a total change of direction with his output-he is this chaotic guitarist in Arcturus and then he does this mellowed out new age stuff on Time Space and Circles and Solfeggio Body albums.

Ihsahn also bounces around on direction: aggressive work with Emperor, but classical sounding stuff on the Thou Shalt Suffer's Somnium album and folky stuff on Grimen.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Well, I disagree. Just Can't Get Enough was a hit because it was so radio friendly and accessible. Their albums as whole entities, earlier and later are not like that. Many, if indeed not most, bands have hits with songs that aren't representative of their albums, e.g. there is nothing else remotely like the steamroller super hit and still uber-popular "We Will Rock You" on Queen's News of the World. I could give loads more examples of that but I have to go home now.

Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Japan
    Kraftwerk
    Split Enz
    Thompson Twins
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Talk Talk
    Depeche Mode

Synth-pop bands that moved on in different ways.
    You could add Tears for Fears to that list as well.

I'd have to say Marillion - a band who have advanced enormously from their sub-Genesis neo-progressive beginnings to being something altogether different in the present without entirely losing touch with their past. Quite some achievement, in my humble opinion. A similar sort of thing, though from a different musical direction, could apply Rush as well, whose musical direction has varied enormously over the years, only to come full circle but with the benefit of 40+ years of music making at the highest level.

Marillion started to change their sound whilst Fish was there. I'd say it goes back as far as 'Misplaced Childhood', and inarguably with 'Clutching At Straws'- these albums are much more concise and focussed, and connected with the mainstream. I seldom play their first two albums, to be honest...there's a 'clunkiness' about them for me. Stuff like 'She Chameleon' I find very overwrought.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Crimson was already mentioned - essentially four eras (early, mid-Red, 80s Byrnes, and 90s/00s new prog metal/at least heavy sounding). One interesting anomaly is that Power to Believe was a complete reach back directly to Red.

How's about them Strawbs? Bluegrass trio to folk quartet to bombastic prog quintet to folk trio. They always had a folk streak in them no matter how they displayed it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Spinal Tap. Radical shift in genre almost every album!
    Does that mean Spinal Tap are based on Lucifer’s Friend?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    How's about them Strawbs? Bluegrass trio to folk quartet to bombastic prog quintet to folk trio. They always had a folk streak in them no matter how they displayed it.
    Oh, win!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Japan
    Kraftwerk
    Split Enz
    Thompson Twins
    Chicago. That's a good one. They pulled a Genesis with Peter Cetera.

Peter Cetera ruined Chicago.