Thread: The RIO Essential Purchases Thread Continues

The RIO Essential Purchases Thread Continues

Cast your minds, if you will, back to PE of old when I needed recommendations for a speech on RIO. Well, since then, I did the speech and I was chosen to represent the class at The Best of Comm 101. Unfortunately, too many other students were chosen and I was asked to step down. I thank all who helped me with 'research' (that's what we will call it) on my project and I have bought a lot of what you have suggested.

So, my interest in RIO music continues to grow, so I thought maybe I'd open a new thread for the new PE. I'll be sure to add whatever you deem 'essential' to my growing wishlist. Thanks for everything in advance and Happy New Year!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If you don't already have 5uu's "Strange Attractors," add it!!

Nope, don't have it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If you don't already have 5uu's "Strange Attractors," add it!!
    "Strange Attractors" is by U Totem.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I would say the recently released Yugen live-album 'Mirrors'.

Although their studio albums are recorded very well I do prefer this one. It has a certain freshness and edge I really like. I fascinating to hear this extremely complex material played live with such energy. Highly recommended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I would say the recently released Yugen live-album 'Mirrors'.

Although their studio albums are recorded very well I do prefer this one. It has a certain freshness and edge I really like. I fascinating to hear this extremely complex material played live with such energy. Highly recommended.
    I agree, I found this release a revelation, I'm usually wary of live albums as they can be a cop out way of releasing another album without new material, can be too close to original material or have poor sound quality. This one really has that edge & freshness you mention & the sound quality is excellent. Highly recommended.

If you want 5UU's I'd check out Hungers Teeth, Abandonship or Crisis in Clay. They have a short discography of excellent albums, Hungers Teeth is probably my favorite by them.

Both U Totem albums (s/t & Strange Attractors) are excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.