Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Varg Vikernes and all

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Of course. I remember the dudes from Immortal (and their predecessor, the rather laughable Old Funeral) the best; Harald/Demonaz, with his speech impairment and notable back- and muscle pains, who would later find employment in the welfare service as one of those guys who change diapers on oldies suffering from dementia and that kind of thing. He once appeared briefly in a newsreel about some local resthome in Os (the village he's from, a 45 minutes' drive outside of Bergen), in which he tried to cover his face from recognition as he carried this old woman up a flight of stairs. Also Olve/Abbath Doom Occulta (nicknamed "Abba-dabba" locally), who could rarely contain his beer and would mostly puke around himself and for this unfortunate reason get expelled from the pubs he frequented. I also spoke on several occasions to Erik/Grim, whose sister Merete was a distant romantic interest of mine for a very short while in 1993-94. He was an allround good guy; very depressed and of a highly sentimental and sensitive nature, to put it like that. His final girlfriend, Trine, was very close with my best buddy's own girlfriend at the time, and apparently saw that suicide coming by a mile. Too bad it wasn't some complete craphead like Gaahl who topped himself, but as they say; the best go first. Well, relatively speaking...
    sorry on Erik. Gaahl was another one the woman I mentioned put up with Varg as some kind of genius.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I happen to personally know some people from up there because I've been given a stay in Oslo in 1989, due to my involvement in the scene as a founding member and drummer in Varathron (one of Dead's favorite bands). Euronymous intended to issue our debut album in his Deathlike Silence label but Varg put an abrupt end to the project . Had the opportunity to meet several people there, but not Varg (he was living with his mom in Bergen at the times). I quickly understood that most of these people had issues, mostly of a narcisistic egocentric isolationism, combined with a mild form of depression. Being 5 to 10 years older than them, with a university degree in social economics and descending from a politically active anarchopunk scene, I felt extremely bored as I could not exchange a serious conversation on any adult issue (ex. politics, class mobility in Norway etc.) or learn anything substantial about their country or the interactions of their tiny circle with the other key-players of the wider local underground rock scene. The only persons that, in my limited experience, were somewhat readable and could tackle a wide variety of topics had proved Euronymous and Jon Kristiansen (of Slayer Mag's fame). However, Oystein's open embrace and theoretization of the "evil" face of communism in Stalin's regime, still puzzles me to this day, as it was rather unfitting to the "satanic" outcast image he was struggling to support (though I can feel the origins of his theoretical construction). Fenriz (from Darkthrone) was the most knowledgable in music... he knew quite a lot about 70s heavy rock and prog (especially from UK) in contrary to the others, whose systematic knowledge of the heavy metal genre started with Venom. And a detail that could please Mr. Scissor... nobody could inform me where the hell did their former member Kjetil Manheim knew of Conrad Schnitzler, as nobody knew the german electronics pioneer despite the fact that one of his pieces served as an intro to Mayhem's debut album. Being already a krautrock fan, I tried to make them arrange a beer session with Kjetil but unfortunately it didn't materialise as he was out of Oslo at the time. I heard somewhere, that he is an experimental noise artist and writer nowadays.

Jen, something off-topic but of interest to you, as I think that you like his music. I also met Albin Julius in a Temple of the Smoke / Seven That Spells gig in Belgrad the previous year and spent the night in the same appartment the bands accomodated us. He is currently very close to become a pathetic drunkard, sipping one beer after another till he starts ranting about psychedelic "enlightenment", eyes shut until collapse. Made me sorry for the guy (not that I ever thought highly of him) considering his past militant "aryan" descent.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I happen to personally know some people from up there because I've been given a stay in Oslo in 1989, due to my involvement in the scene as a founding member and drummer in Varathron (one of Dead's favorite bands). Euronymous intended to issue our debut album in his Deathlike Silence label but Varg put an abrupt end to the project . Had the opportunity to meet several people there, but not Varg (he was living with his mom in Bergen at the times). I quickly understood that most of these people had issues, mostly of a narcisistic egocentric isolationism, combined with a mild form of depression. Being 5 to 10 years older than them, with a university degree in social economics and descending from a politically active anarchopunk scene, I felt extremely bored as I could not exchange a serious conversation on any adult issue (ex. politics, class mobility in Norway etc.) or learn anything substantial about their country or the interactions of their tiny circle with the other key-players of the wider local underground rock scene. The only persons that, in my limited experience, were somewhat readable and could tackle a wide variety of topics had proved Euronymous and Jon Kristiansen (of Slayer Mag's fame). However, Oystein's open embrace and theoretization of the "evil" face of communism in Stalin's regime, still puzzles me to this day, as it was rather unfitting to the "satanic" outcast image he was struggling to support (though I can feel the origins of his theoretical construction). Fenriz (from Darkthrone) was the most knowledgable in music... he knew quite a lot about 70s heavy rock and prog (especially from UK) in contrary to the others, whose systematic knowledge of the heavy metal genre started with Venom. And a detail that could please Mr. Scissor... nobody could inform me where the hell did their former member Kjetil Manheim knew of Conrad Schnitzler, as nobody knew the german electronics pioneer despite the fact that one of his pieces served as an intro to Mayhem's debut album. Being already a krautrock fan, I tried to make them arrange a beer session with Kjetil but unfortunately it didn't materialise as he was out of Oslo at the time. I heard somewhere, that he is an experimental noise artist and writer nowadays.

Jen, something off-topic but of interest to you, as I think that you like his music. I also met Albin Julius in a Temple of the Smoke / Seven That Spells gig in Belgrad the previous year and spent the night in the same appartment the bands accomodated us. He is currently very close to become a pathetic drunkard, sipping one beer after another till he starts ranting about psychedelic "enlightenment", eyes shut until collapse. Made me sorry for the guy (not that I ever thought highly of him) considering his past militant "aryan" descent.
    Thanks! I noticed he had went from Aryan militant to David Crosby at some point. Although I am fascinated with his work with Alzbeth from TMLHBAC, I was never utterly a fan of Der Blutharsch with exception to this one song off of Philosopher's Stone. A lot of people were criticizing interviews with Alzbeth, although she was hooked up with Samoth at one time, I think you said, or Mortiis. I know I found a scan of a letter from Samoth where he is bitching about someone heckling him about a Nazi logo on his guitar (although in a later interview, when asked if he could have a drink with Hitler, would he, he replies "He'd have to change his way of thinking first" or something to that extent).

What I find perplexing is how certain musicians wound up in those circles, such as Blasphemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Gaahl was another one the woman I mentioned put up with Varg as some kind of genius.
    But obviously - seeing how "genius" in those quarters equals "raw from doctrine", and doctrine reads "evil/kill". The fact that Kristian finished school with mediocre results serves as no reliable indication, of course - due to the educational system being "infected with the jew spirit".

Oh yes, such genius. First Aristotle, then Leonardo, come Einstein (Ooh, but jew!) - and finally Kristian & Gaahl, like.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

But obviously - seeing how "genius" in those quarters equals "raw from doctrine", and doctrine reads "evil/kill". The fact that Kristian finished school with mediocre results serves as no reliable indication, of course - due to the educational system being "infected with the jew spirit".

Oh yes, such genius. First Aristotle, then Leonardo, come Einstein (Ooh, but jew!) - and finally Kristian & Gaahl, like.

I thought myself both of them were a couple of idiots, to be honest. The only reason I have works from either, as I said, was Samoth's involvement. Same with Satyricon. I got the impression if Euronymous or Varg told Samoth to jump off of the Troll's Tongue at that time, he would have. I think a year in prison snapped him out of that and Samoth has been keeping some distance from it since.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 09-17-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: bacon-food of the gods

for the record, she was a bit much for me. on at least one occasion, she was sending stuff I was emailing her about to Samoth. I made a joke about an article on him not being able to come over for an Emperor reunion tour because of a waiver he needs not coming through on time and next thing you know, he's emailing the both of us about it. She wanted me to tell him about articles that "insulted" him and I ask him "you want me doing that". He wrote back "not really" and that was that.

just out of curiosity-what was Gaahl's issue? I heard a bit here and there...

just out of curiosity-what was Gaahl's issue? I heard a bit here and there...
    Nothing much, other than being jailed a cuppa times for molesting people with whom he disagreed in social settings. This certainly didn't happen because he's a sociopath or anything, just due to him actively practising his doctrine. He shocked absolutely everyone by coming out as gay a few years back, you know - seeing how this instantly redeems his unfair stigma.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nothing much, other than being jailed a cuppa times for molesting people with whom he disagreed in social settings. This certainly didn't happen because he's a sociopath or anything, just due to him actively practising his doctrine. He shocked absolutely everyone by coming out as gay a few years back, you know - seeing how this instantly redeems his unfair stigma.

"his doctrine"?

I knew he came out as gay...never thought much of it, as it is no big thing in the USA...

I knew there were battles over the Gorgoroth name

"his doctrine"?
    Yes, he sees himself as a "serious" philosopher, didn't you know? These folks obviously don't need degrees from the Jewish educational system or anything; all they need to do is read some books of their own choice and then 'think' about that and then proceed to formulate their own brilliant writings. And then, if one for instance kicks the shit out of some drunkard at an afterparty and collects his blood in a wineglass for oral consumption, this is first and foremost in clear conjunction with the philosophy - NOT because one is an utter oompa-loompa moron who wants to impress one's raunchy metal buddies present there and uphold the sacred status one has worked so hard for.

Yes, he sees himself as a "serious" philosopher, didn't you know? These folks obviously don't need degrees from the Jewish educational system or anything; all they need to do is read some books of their own choice and then 'think' about that and then proceed to formulate their own brilliant writings. And then, if one for instance kicks the shit out of some drunkard at an afterparty and collects his blood in a wineglass for oral consumption, this is first and foremost in clear conjunction with the philosophy - NOT because one is an utter oompa-loompa moron who wants to impress one's raunchy metal buddies present there and uphold the sacred status one has worked so hard for.
    so he's in the same camp as Varg except Gaahl has actually cracked open a book?

so he's in the same camp as Varg except Gaahl has actually cracked open a book?
    Oh, I believe Vikernes was forced to open that copy of 'Lord of the Rings' in order to find a suitable name for his incredible solo band. To strive for "serious" artistic (and human) attention through an act as embarrassingly juvenile as that, though - I guess such a trait says it all. As does the role of philistine mass media operatives who should have known better than to feast upon this juvenile's eternal lust for light through the photo blitz. If the guy hadn't experienced a feeding of his vice through those initial signs of interest from the local press (and beginning with Bergens Tidende, the one paper 75% of all households would display in and around the city back then), then perhaps he would have resigned from tainted limelight altogether - without committing murder and arson.

So, most of what he did, even the murder, was Varg attention whoring?

So, most of what he did, even the murder, was Varg attention whoring?
    Well, like most identity construction deficits, his venture started as external enactment - as in all basic roleplay. However, this dude carries in him personality disorders (at least two, both narcissistic and antisocial) in addition to whatever trauma of fatherly abandonment there might be to back them. Just the fact that some of his comments to the media at the time ("I can only drink milk with cocoa powder in it; if not, it'd be white and white is the colour of Christ and goodness!", "Laughter distorts the face and disturbs my expression of grimness, so I shouldn't be laughing, haw-haw!") revealed a sense of apparently permanent immaturity beyond even reasonable belief, seems to tell us of an individual in complete lack of self-insight. So yes indeed, to me his "status" is a token to the preposterous state of popular culture's potential in the wake of the digital mass media society. One can only wonder what will become of those poor kids of his.

Sounds like a long, drawn-out way to just say the guy is a loser and an asshole.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I hope you do not mind my discussing him and Gaahl and others but the whole thing is intriguing-first, the reality that is Varg and Gaahl and others-as I said, they are propped up on these pedestals- and secondly, how they convinced others to go along with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varg Vikernes and all

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sounds like a long, drawn-out way to just say the guy is a loser and an asshole.
    I knew he was an asshole, but he basically became the stereotype of Norwegian metal. When you actually look at it, the church burnings were about four guys-Euronymous, Varg, Samoth and Bård Faust (can do Norwegian letters on my iPhone)- and there were just two murders-Bård unleashes a fit of anger on some gay guy & Varg decides to off Euronymous-and a whole group of musicians is be damned over it.

The thing is-at one point I was in contact with Samoth and Bård, but I never asked them because first, I did not want to alienate them. And I figured everything they would say about it was said.

"Landmarks" in Gaahl's life:

1. 1993: involved with black metal
    2. 1995: as a member of Trelldom (who???) he openly stated his support for Varg Vikernes and Adolf Hitler
    3. 1998: joined Gorgoroth -on the 4th album when they distanced themselves from the black metal sound
    4. 2002: imprisonned for assault
    5. 2006: imprisoned for assault, kidnapping and torture
    6. 2007: legal dispute for the name of Gorgoroth after kicking founding member Infernus from the band
    7. 2009: lost legal dispute; he is excluded from using Gorgoroth's name
    8. 2010: won the award "gay person of the year" in Bergen's "Gay Galla"

What makes him important for the black metal scene is beyond me. He was definitely a latecomer, when the genre started to decline from a tiny little niche of metal outcasts into this highly commercial pseudo industrial gothic nonesence that became by the late 90s. But, maybe that's only me, who considers that the "shock-value creativity" of that particular scene died in 1992.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    2010: won the award "gay person of the year" in Bergen's "Gay Galla"
    He was recruited by Bjarte Hjelmeland, celebrated actor, gay spokesman and most importantly director of Den Nationale Scene in Bergen (a grand venue most famous for having had Henrik Ibsen as its initial director!), to star in a stage production named 'Svartediket' back in 2010. Svartediket (meaning 'the black pond') is a water reservoire in the mountains just east of the city centre, in which legend has it that heathens would sacrifice children in archaic or at least pre-Christian times. Gaahl featured as the "evil demon judge" in the play and was submitted to these cozy interviews about his vegetarian cooking habits, whether he wore slippers in Winter, his boyfriend's everyday vices and so on. Said Bjarte Hjelmeland: "In Norway, you're cleared of all guilt once you've finished Your sentence and taken your punishment!"

Such great folk.

What is it with these Norwegian guys named Kristian being total whack jobs?

By the way, I got this outtake or something by Mayhem called "All the little birdies". At least it says Mayhem...

Egyptian Heavy Metal Fans Reject Accusations of Satan Worship, Collaboration with Zionism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXqP49ZNE8

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Egyptian Heavy Metal Fans Reject Accusations of Satan Worship, Collaboration with Zionism
    Exactly! By that "extreme" position, they acknowledge the official dogma that "Zionism equals Satanism" and, as being 'good Egyptians' and consequently ousting all that's purportedly "Jewish", they can by definition not be Satanists.

Foolish art prompts foolish worldviews.

Foolish art prompts foolish worldviews.
    Or, maybe, the other way around.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally