Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gong: I See You

Gong: I See You

I somehow missed this release. I just picked it up. WOW! What a great swan song for Daevid Allen, a truly fantastic album from start to finish!!

Sorry if there is a thread already about this, I didn't find one in the search

It is indeed. AWESOME. A fine album to go out on.

One of the best things they - the collective Gong - have ever done. I certainly hope that the ICU band continues!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    One of the best things they - the collective Gong - have ever done. I certainly hope that the ICU band continues!
    Agree 100% !!
    There were many different Gongs before, and many to come in the future. The evolution continues. As Daevid sang - "You Can't Kill Me" -- and that goes for the band too.
    (Fanboy rant #127)

This lineup is staying together and touring. Are they recording, too? I wonder if Kavus would be willing to share any future Gong plans.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

GREAT album! I got the double vinyl, and it sounds, looks and smells phantastic. The best Gong album since the 70s, and one of the 10-or-so finest things Daevid ever contributed to (IMHO). They should be proud, and probably are.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I agree with all the above accolades! Such a great album. I was pleasantly thrilled, it does harken back to the "good old days!" They really notched it up on this one for sure. I found the sustained gliss fading out at the end to be a very poignant farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    It is indeed. AWESOME. A fine album to go out on.
    it looks like I'm going to have to relisten to this.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I really like this one, and it it certainly holds up against their earlier work, imo.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's very very good, a real return to form and a fitting swan song
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

such a bitter sweet experience for me (I mastered the album)
    Daevid was dying but nevertheless extremely involved and passionate
    I recall a skype conversation with him after he came back from therapy and told me he wanted this to sound raw and kicking - no gloss no slickness
    I didn't know what to think of the album itself cause so much emotions were involved
    God bless Daevid he was an inspiration even in how he left us

Wow, didn't expect such glowing reviews. I may have to check this out.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, thanks for weighing in Udi. Brilliant effort on all parts. It was bittersweet hearing it, too.

I love this album and I think it sounds exactly as it should, kudos Udi!
    For me it also stands by the 70s gong material, and like Scrotum said- one of the top 10 Daevid projects (which is not an easy feat, mind you)

I must admit I did not know what to think of this while we were working on it
    So I am surprised by the overall positive reactions and opinions
    In a way it is comforting that Daevid was still us for a few months to witness this

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    GREAT album! I got the double vinyl, and it sounds, looks and smells phantastic. The best Gong album since the 70s, and one of the 10-or-so finest things Daevid ever contributed to (IMHO). They should be proud, and probably are.
    I completely agree. A wonderful album. I listen to it a lot.

Some great news here, the ICU band is signed up for an album in 2016! Gong ist Mort Vive Gong!

http://gongband.net/2015/10/new-gong-album/

Oh. This is good news! Heck, anything from Kavus is good news!

Anyone catch one of their live shows from the current tour??

"Rode my mo'sickle to the gig and it was well worth it, a lovely ride through the Welsh mountains to see Here and Now and Gong was amazing, both bands were excellent and well worth going to see, I also had the pleasure, as you can see in the video of standing/dancing next to Ynys Allen during the gig and chatted to him for a while after, a lovely man, the spirit is strong in him. Kavus singing 'you can't kill me' directly to Ynys was heart melting and appropriate. Talking afterwards it seems only 40 or so prebooked tickets were sold! This is unreal for such an amazing band with a big family. about 3-400 turned up in the end (I think, I'm not good with estimates) but I always think there should be more. Excellent sound, lights and backdrop, definitely worth getting our ageing bottoms off the sofa for. Having said that, it was great to see a large group of young un's dancing away and singing along too as you see in the vid. Go see Gong smile emoticon" Simon Smith

"Before I go to bed. Just a few lines, I'll post more tomorrow.
    I have just come away fromone of the best gigs I have been to in all my 52 years.
    Anyone who is harbouring doubts that guys couldn't cut it without Daevid can put them away straight away. Gong absolutely rocked the Robin 2 in Bilston tonight.
    I won't mention the set list as there were some wonderful surprises in there.
    the guys really played their hearts out tonight and deserve your support.
    If you can get to one of the remainng shows on the tour GO GO FOR GOD'S SAKE GO!!!" Chris Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Anyone who is harbouring doubts that guys couldn't cut it without Daevid can put them away straight away. Gong absolutely rocked the Robin 2 in Bilston tonight
    I don't doubt a second that they can cut it ... But what's the point without Daevid?

Isn't it a bit like seeing the Stones without Richards & Jagger?

I'm not saying that I will never see Gong without DA, but it's going to take a lot to convince me (like playing within 10 km from where I am)..
    Maybe I'm wrong about this (and apologize to Kavus)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I don't doubt a second that they can cut it ... But what's the point without Daevid?

I'm not saying that I will never see Gong without DA, but it's going to take a lot to convince me (like playing within 10 km from where I am)..
    Well it would be your loss. I was at the Glasgow show and I'm here to tell you Gong are alive and well. Venue was Audio, which is a small club under the railway arches of Glasgow Central Station. I don't know how many tickets were pre-bought, but even by the time the support came on the place was jam packed and we were treated to a fabulous show. The band played really great together and Kavus is a brilliant front man. I'm not pretending I didn't miss Daevid but I enjoyed this show as much as any other Gong gig I've been to (and I've been to a fair few). I soooo hope they make this work.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Really man? So the music is dead also? Seeing those reviews would be the point I would guess. Look at ZPZ if you want to see why music should live on, and can quite successfully if given the chance. And without knowing him I would venture to guess that DA would be the first person to tell you to get 'yer ass to that gig 10 km away and enjoy his legacy. IMO.