Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JEFF LYNNE’S ELO SIGNS WITH COLUMBIA...

JEFF LYNNE’S ELO SIGNS WITH COLUMBIA...

http://jefflynneselo.com/news/258463

JEFF LYNNE’S ELO SIGNS WITH COLUMBIA...

Known as one of the most iconic forces in history, Jeff Lynne’s ELO has signed a global deal with Columbia Records and is set to deliver a new album which will be the first new ELO music in 15 years. As with ELO’s previous chart-topping albums, Lynne continues to serve as ELO’s producer, songwriter, arranger, lead singer and guitarist. In September 2014, for the first time in 30 years, Jeff Lynne's ELO headlined BBC Radio 2's "Festival In A Day" in London's famous Hyde Park to a sold- out crowd of 50,000 fans in attendance and nearly a million people tuned in to watch.

Lynne was the creative genius behind ELO which sold more than 50 million albums worldwide, had more than 20 Top 40 Hits across the U.S. and the U.K. and received countless awards and accolades. At the time of ELO’s formation, Lynne had said the goal was to create modern rock and pop songs. A goal that remains true some 30 years later with the creation of new material.

Timing is appropriate for this news as last year's Hyde Park show gets released on dvd tomorrow. http://jefflynneselo.com/news/252673
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The Hyde Park show played on Palladia over the weekend. I happened to be channel surfing Sunday night and caught most of it. I thought it was very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Timing is appropriate for this news as last year's Hyde Park show gets released on dvd tomorrow. http://jefflynneselo.com/news/252673
    Yeah, I know, preordered my BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park London NTSC DVD through Amazon UK already, Electric Light Orchestra was previously with Columbia Records from 1978-1986, then Epic in 2001!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I hope he remembers the orchestra this time. ZOOM!, while rather good, came across more as a Jeff Lynne solo effort rather than a serious relaunch of the good ship ELO. A rehash of his late '80s period roots rock revisionism (ala Wilburys) won't an ELO album make. He's gotta go all in and revisit that mid-70s grandeur.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 09-11-2015 at 12:26 AM.

^I agree RE; Zoom. The songs were good, but the lavish arrangements and production of the old ELO weren't there- it was more of a 'meat and potatoes' sound. Still, this is good news.

Are there any other original members or is it Jeff Lynne's tribute to ELO?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Are there any other original members or is it Jeff Lynne's tribute to ELO?
    richard tandy also performed in hyde park.

i expect this to revisit the early (symphonic) version of ELO as well as lynne's old school rock‘n’roll traits. which is a shame because the latter-day pop/disco/new wave ELO also had a lot of interesting stuff to offer which i do not expect to be revisited in earnest any time soon.

i also wonder how the situation with ELO-spin-off “the orchestra” as well as “phil bates performs classic ELO” on the oldies circuit will resolve. also, has bev bevan retired or is he still a controlling agent?

the hyde park extravaganza was nice but it came off a lot like an ELO-oriented broadway/show tunes production. still, it's good to see jeff lynne up there in such good shape.

Shouldn't the thread title be "JEFF LYNNE’S EGO SIGNS WITH COLUMBIA..."?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiELO View Post
    http://jefflynneselo.com/news/258463

Known as one of the most iconic forces in history

I'm thinking they forgot an adjective here.

Unless, Columbia is thinking next of signing Magnetism, Ambition , and perhaps the Bubonic Plague

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

i also wonder how the situation with ELO-spin-off “the orchestra” as well as “phil bates performs classic ELO” on the oldies circuit will resolve. also, has bev bevan retired or is he still a controlling agent?
    I believe that Bev Bevan sold his interests in the band to Jeff Lynne in the late 90s/early 00s right before Zoom was released and the ELO II brand was "retired."

I would also think that there is nothing legally prohibiting the various tribute acts from continuing to work as long as they don't bill themselves as ELO (which promoters have been doing for various shows).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Hyde Park show played on Palladia over the weekend. I happened to be channel surfing Sunday night and caught most of it. I thought it was very very good.
    It's running on VH1 Classic this weekend too. Going to catch it tonight at 9 Eastern
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    North America is crawling with dinosaur acts right now. SO many coming up.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Was delighted to see Mick Wilson (Three Friends, 10cc) with the band. Probably pays better than those two....

Ah, if only the Move would reunite.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Anyone ever hear the Bill Bottrell produced ELO album from the mid 80s?

What? I already have a DVD of the Hyde Park concert. I wonder if it was illegal. The video was good but the sound muffled. The audio could have been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Anyone ever hear the Bill Bottrell produced ELO album from the mid 80s?
    I think he produced two of them if I remember right. I think they were the last two "Secret Messages" and "Balance Of Power". Not a huge fan of either album as a whole, but they did have some good tracks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Was delighted to see Mick Wilson (Three Friends, 10cc) with the band. Probably pays better than those two....
    Might not mean much to the US folks around here but most of the band on that Hyde Park show was in fact the Take That (yep, former boyband) live band led by Mike Stevens and including former Rick Wakeman and Steve Hackett bassplayer Lee Pomeroy. In fact, based on tiny bits of info on the interweb I am led to believe that at least a few of those band members have been working with Lynne on that forthcoming album.

I think he produced two of them if I remember right. I think they were the last two "Secret Messages" and "Balance Of Power". Not a huge fan of either album as a whole, but they did have some good tracks on them.
    By then Lynne's interest was waning, I think these are their weakest albums, though not bad in themselves. But I'm surprised the original planned double of 'Secret Messages' has not been released on CD, particularly with the recent resurgence of interest in ELO.

As for the Hyde Park show, it started a little shakily but it got better and better. It was like a powerhouse of hits, one after another!

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    richard tandy also performed in hyde park.

i expect this to revisit the early (symphonic) version of ELO as well as lynne's old school rock‘n’roll traits. which is a shame because the latter-day pop/disco/new wave ELO also had a lot of interesting stuff to offer which i do not expect to be revisited in earnest any time soon.
    This photo from Jeff Lynne's Facebook page, dated Thursday, September 10th, 2015 seems to be saying something different, it is Fred the Robot that spoke Prologue before "Twilight" on ELO's Time Tour in 1981!

What do you suppose these two are plotting?

Perhaps it has something to do with this announcement...

Jeff Lynne's ELO has signed a global deal with Columbia Records and is set to release a new ELO album! The first new ELO music in over a decade!

More news coming soon!

[Photo by Rob Shanahan]

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJef...type=1&theater
    Last edited by TrekkiELO; 09-12-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Might not mean much to the US folks around here but most of the band on that Hyde Park show was in fact the Take That (yep, former boyband) live band led by Mike Stevens and including former Rick Wakeman and Steve Hackett bassplayer Lee Pomeroy. In fact, based on tiny bits of info on the interweb I am led to believe that at least a few of those band members have been working with Lynne on that forthcoming album.
    Chris, wasn't Lee Pomeroy also in both Galahad & Mitchell's It Bites?

Never an ELO fan, with the anomaly (for me) of the gorgeous "Can't Get It Out....", which has still not gotten stale for me.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Chris, wasn't Lee Pomeroy also in both Galahad & Mitchell's It Bites?

Never an ELO fan, with the anomaly (for me) of the gorgeous "Can't Get It Out....", which has still not gotten stale for me.
    Nothing else besides "Can't Get It Out"? Eldorado is a desert island disc for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Nothing else besides "Can't Get It Out"? Eldorado is a desert island disc for me.
    The entire Electric Light Orchestra catalog of 12 studio albums and a soundtrack album from 1972-2001 are my desert island discs!

Bill Bottrell was actually credited as an engineer on Secret Messages in 1983 , then co-engineer along with Reinhold "Mack" on Balance of Power in 1986 and some songs from Time in 1981 also with Mack, Jeff Lynne is always the producer!
    Last edited by TrekkiELO; 09-12-2015 at 03:57 PM.