Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Stanley v. Dee Snider

Paul Stanley v. Dee Snider

Seems a war of words is happening between these two fellas:

1) During a recent appearance on Eddie Trunk's show, Snider criticized Stanley and KISS bassist Gene Simmons for having current KISS members Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer dress up as Peter Criss's and Ace Frehley's respective "Spaceman" and "Catman" personas. Dee told Trunk: "I don't see how people could accept this. Tommy Thayer? I'm sorry. It's insulting. Not only did he play in a tribute band of KISS, he's imitating Ace in his entire act!" Snider went on to bash Thayer for allegedly copying Ace's stage moves. He said: "Oh my God — that's disgraceful. When KISS replaced Ace and Peter, and they brought in guys [Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent] who had their own makeup and their own thing, that was acceptable. That was awesome. They were their own characters."

2) Stanley got an opportunity to respond to Snider during an interview for Chris Jericho's "Talk Is Jericho" podcast. He said: "Well, let me put it in the simplest terms. In this case, this guy is a wannabe, has always been a wannabe and desperately wants attention and to be taken seriously, and that will never happen because he's obviously clueless that he and his whole band are a bunch of buffoons."

3) Snider shoots back via Facebook:
    "A letter to Paul Stanley of Kiss in response to comments about Twisted Sister and myself he made on a recent Chris Jericho podcast.

Dear Paul, September 9th, 2015
    First off, thanks for giving me the attention I—as you noted-- so desperately wanted.
    Now, I’ve always had nothing but respect for your band, and you as a performer, but it really comes as no surprise that the feeling isn’t mutual. For some reason you are oddly threatened by me. This said, your recent comments about my band and I on Chris Jericho’s podcast was a typical diversionary tactic used in an attempt to change the subject, rather than answer the actual accusation or question. It’s the oldest interviewing trick in the book.
    As far as my “whole band being a bunch of buffoons” goes, that’s a pretty ironic statement coming from you. The argument could easily be made that Kiss is the “king of the buffoons”, so in an odd way you’ve paid Twisted Sister quite a compliment. It takes one to know one.
    Lastly, on the subject of me being a “wannabe”? Do you really think so? Well then…any time, any stage. But let’s do this old school –no costumes, no pyro, no bullshit – let’s just get up there and rock. I will bury you, son.
    Sincerely, the attention getting, wannabe, lead buffoon of Twisted Sister,

Dee Snider

PS: Did I mention that I’m clean, sober, razor sharp and fully capable of defending myself from any kind of lame attack? Just ask Al Gore.
    "

Will Paul Stanley respond? Will they do this "old school"? Is this a debacle in the making?

My money's on the guy with the sharp teeth.

I like Paul as a singer, I like KISS as a band and I could care less about having Tommy and Eric dressed in legacy costumes but I do have to say Dee seems to have his shit together way more as a human being.

Paul's way too sensitive for someone who must be worth seven figures at minimum.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Paul and Gene just keep coming up with new ways to embarrass me as a lifelong fan. First, there was Gene's "acting career". Then there was Let's Put The X In Sex and Forever. Then they continuously mouth off about Peter and Ace, referring to them as "bums" (or maybe Gene was talking about Vinnie Vincent and Mark St. John when he said "Why should I let some bum's ruined life affect my life"). Then there's this whole business of putting Thayer and Singer in Ace and Peter's costumes and makeup. Now, Paul is picking fights with people in other bands?! Where does it end with these two?!

Oh, and Dee's right on the money: they should have at least given Tommy and Eric the dignity of having their own costumes and makeup, not just putting on Ace and Peter's outfits. It's disrespectful to Ace and Peter and it's disrespectful to the band.

I mean, could you imagine the Rolling Stones asking Mick Taylor to play a Vox Mark VI and wear a blonde wig so he'll at least looks like Brian Jones? Or how about The Who asking Kenney Jones to act like a complete mad man both on and off the stage? Or Black Sabbath asking Ronnie James Dio or Ian Gillan to try act and sing like Ozzy as much as possible? Or Deep Purple asking Steve Morse to act like a total ass toward anyone and everyone around him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Will Paul Stanley respond? Will they do this "old school"? Is this a debacle in the making?
    Hopefully they both shut up.

Twisted Sister have had a deep resentment against KISS since both bands were in clubs back in the early 70s. J.J. French is usually the one slinging crap towards KISS -- I do not know if he resents them because he auditioned for KISS back in '73 but they chose Ace Frehley. In recent years Dee has gone on the attack.

**in that clip Dee rags on KISS for doing 'disco'… so what is his excuse for this:

jump to 2:00 for the best part

I'm more of a KISS fan than a Twisted Sister fan (duh!), I like 'em both but I still call it like I see it and KISS (Gene & Paul) have not said anything bad against Twisted Sister -- to my knowledge. The only time I hear KISS members mention Twisted Sister (or members) are when they talk about the '73 auditions or when they get asked questions about KISS being a '70s New York rock band. Even then, Twisted Sister are not mentioned in a bad way. J.J. used to love to tell his stories of hanging out with Gene & Paul in the old days, but for the past 15 or so years, he seems to lash out or criticize them in multiple interviews. Maybe he knows it grabs a headline. I'm sure some do it in part for the publicity it generates.

With all of that, I've never cared all that much for the petty squabbles that rock stars involve themselves with. I keep up to date as best as I can, but that is only because I don't want to miss any other history or minutia that sometimes comes out in these things.

Last week Paul Stanley tweeted about Kanye West's appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards. He quickly deleted the tweet. I took a screen grab as I knew this would either get ugly or erased:

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Then there's this whole business of putting Thayer and Singer in Ace and Peter's costumes and makeup. Now, Paul is picking fights with people in other bands?! Where does it end with these two?!

Oh, and Dee's right on the money: they should have at least given Tommy and Eric the dignity of having their own costumes and makeup, not just putting on Ace and Peter's outfits. It's disrespectful to Ace and Peter and it's disrespectful to the band.

I mean, could you imagine the Rolling Stones asking Mick Taylor to play a Vox Mark VI and wear a blonde wig so he'll at least looks like Brian Jones? Or how about The Who asking Kenney Jones to act like a complete mad man both on and off the stage? Or Black Sabbath asking Ronnie James Dio or Ian Gillan to try act and sing like Ozzy as much as possible? Or Deep Purple asking Steve Morse to act like a total ass toward anyone and everyone around him?
    You're stuck on the makeup issue. You're stuck on a gimmick.

Maybe the makeup has a deeper meaning to you than it does to Ace & Peter. After all, they sold their stake in the makeup to Gene & Paul.

I'm not stuck on the makeup. I see Eric Singer as himself, and the same goes for Tommy. I have seen each perform in other bands before they joined KISS and they pretty much have the same style as I remember them having from the 80s.

Also, Paul's not picking a fight. Paul responded to what Dee said. Childish response, but still a response and not the instigator here.

To me those are characters. James Bond used to be Sean Connery. Now it's Daniel Craig. Same deal The interesting thing would be to see if Gene and Paul let people take over their characters. Then KISS would possibly be the first true eternal rock band. Maybe some day the Demon will be a huge black guy and the Cat will be a girl *lol*

In this discussion I'm all for the guys in Faster Pussycat, Stryper and Poison. And that bad mama in Madam X.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

God this is HILARIOUS. Pass that bucket of popcorn. Pass that dutchie too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And that bad mama in Madam X.
    Oh yea!

Bottom line though: IMO Twisted Sister made far better music than Kiss. It was heavier and more related to the metal look. When you get right down to it, Kiss were never a metal band, simply a hard rock glam band in make up.

Is Vince McMahon writing the script for this?

I think Dee has a point but why should he be talking about another band like that?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My money's on the rocker who's had less plastic surgery.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Does it matter other than what the fans think about the show?

A side note, my sister was friends with Paul Stanley and had nothing but nice things to say about him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Paul and Gene just keep coming up with new ways to embarrass me as a lifelong fan. First, there was Gene's "acting career". ...
    So, you weren't embarrassed by the Saturday morning cartoons, then?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My money's on the rocker who's had less plastic surgery.
    Is this a more advanced variation on the Gene S.-vs.-Ritchie B.-whose-wig-is better dilemma complex?
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-10-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    God this is HILARIOUS. Pass that bucket of popcorn. Pass that dutchie too.....
    THIS!!!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Why not just toss Lordi in here as well? I like their costumes better anyway and their film was less embarrassing than Kiss's
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, you weren't embarrassed by the Saturday morning cartoons, then?
    What Saturday morning cartoons are you talking about? THe Beatles or the Jackson Five?

Did KISS ever claim to be metal? They get lumped into metal by fans and critics sometimes but I don't think they ever set out to be more than a loud rock band with good vocals. TS isn't very metal either apart from Dee's vocal style.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Did KISS ever claim to be metal? They get lumped into metal by fans and critics sometimes but I don't think they ever set out to be more than a loud rock band with good vocals. TS isn't very metal either apart from Dee's vocal style.
    I'm under the impression "metal" is more of WHO is in the band than WHAT the band sounds like. For exampler-Hagalaz' Runedance is often lumped into metal, even though the only thing that qualifies it is Samoth and Trym of Emperor played on a couple of albums.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Well then…any time, any stage. But let’s do this old school –no costumes, no pyro, no bullshit – let’s just get up there and rock. I will bury you, son.
    Reminds me of the tussle between Manowar and TS in the 80's - TS challenged 'em to a street fight, Manowar responded with a challenge for the stage. I think Manowar beat 'em to the idea of riding motorcycles first, though.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

See 2:45 to 3:02 for the best description of this squabble:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart