Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Stanley v. Dee Snider

Lets have Keith Richards weigh in on this, shall we?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Lets have Keith Richards weigh in on this, shall we?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Keith Richards says KISS and Twisted Sister are a load of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    While I've absolutely agreed on absolutely everything else he's ever said about absolutely anything, THIS is where he'd be fundamentally wrong. I even bought Stay Hungry on the day of release (together with the mighty Crüe's inimitably fabulous Too Fast for Love) - while I was STILL an ardent Kizz fanatic! It was a sad day when I, some six years later, gathered the entire 80s HM stock of my collection to have it sold to my local secondhand store owner and found that my crazy female cat (it was later likely murdered by Varg Vikernes - and I'm not even kidding!) in the meantime had proceeded to scratch and eat up most of the tip corners of those 130+ records. Had to give the vendor a discount.

Such great music, this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While I've absolutely agreed on absolutely everything else he's ever said about absolutely anything, THIS is where he'd be fundamentally wrong. I even bought Stay Hungry on the day of release (together with the mighty Crüe's inimitably fabulous Too Fast for Love) - while I was STILL an ardent Kizz fanatic! It was a sad day when I, some six years later, gathered the entire 80s HM stock of my collection to have it sold to my local secondhand store owner and found that my crazy female cat (it was later likely murdered by Varg Vikernes - and I'm not even kidding!) in the meantime had proceeded to scratch and eat up most of the tip corners of those 130+ records. Had to give the vendor a discount.

Such great music, this.

I think he was joking about Richards, but Varg Vikernes killed your cat???

This site is better than Lords of Chaos and a dozen Samoth interviews...

(starts popping popcorn)

But Neil Peart recoiled from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley‘s larger approach to marketing their band as a product. “I don’t want to knock them,” he says. “But once I was in a little restaurant in Kansas, and a guy with Kiss Army tattoos kept playing Kiss songs on the jukebox. He believed in a marketing campaign, swallowed it as religion. He was like a convert to Scientology.”
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-...letter_4572276

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    magazine quote:

But Neil Peart recoiled from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley‘s larger approach to marketing their band as a product. “I don’t want to knock them,” he says. “But once I was in a little restaurant in Kansas, and a guy with Kiss Army tattoos kept playing Kiss songs on the jukebox. He believed in a marketing campaign, swallowed it as religion. He was like a convert to Scientology.”

I wonder if Neil realizes that Rush themselves have that kind of pseudo-religion impact amongst many folks in the rock musician community...I know players that worship Rush like the second coming.........

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I think he was joking about Richards, but Varg Vikernes killed your cat???
    I know he was joking. But yes, my cat was very likely robbed of pulse by that complete shithole.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I know he was joking. But yes, my cat was very likely robbed of pulse by that complete shithole.
    Everyone acts like he's some kind of a genius. Everything I have heard from you and Spiros is that he is more like a semi-literate sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Everyone acts like he's some kind of a genius. Everything I have heard from you and Spiros is that he is more like a semi-literate sadist.
    Who, Gene? The book Kis and Sell defnintely makes both him and Paul out to be basically idiots when it comes to business. If it wern't for Shannon Tweed and Sharon Osbonre and women lke that I get the impression guys like Gene and Ozzy would be lying in a ditch. Well, not Ozzy, he'd be dead.

I wonder if Neil realizes that Rush themselves have that kind of pseudo-religion impact amongst many folks in the rock musician community...I know players that worship Rush like the second coming.........
    And if it was a Rush fan wearing Rush tattoos and playing Rush songs on the jukebox… would he have said the same thing?

And that bad mama in Madam X.
    Which one, Roxy or Maxine? Ya know Roxy later played in Vixen.

Did KISS ever claim to be metal? They get lumped into metal by fans and critics sometimes but I don't think they ever set out to be more than a loud rock band with good vocals. TS isn't very metal either apart from Dee's vocal style.
    Well, there's a lot of phrases that seem to be used interchangeably in certain circles, depending on who you're talking, what era you're talking, and what territory. In the UK, a lot of what's sometimes called "hard rock" or "heavy metal" has been referred to as "heavy rock". On at least three different occasions, I've heard the phrase "high energy rock n roll" (one time it was being applied to Kiss, another time it was Black Sabbath, both circa 1976!).

To me all these stupid phrases are just that: stupid. Jazz fusion, bebop, West coast jazz, rock n roll, rock, rockabilly, prog rock, glam rock, glam metal, hard rock, heavy metal, heavy rock, new wave, New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, grindcore, electronic music, Berlin school, Intelligent Dance Music (whatever that's supposed to entail), techno, ambient, ambient techno, space music, space rock, punk rock, punkabilly, hardcore, alternative, zeuhl, RIO, symphonic rock, retro prog, neo prog....I mean I could keep going on.

These are all just stupid words and phrases that were invented by A&R men to hype the music they're talking about. At the end of the day, none of them actually mean anything, except whatever stupid logic any of the stupid people (me included) who insist on arguing about them apply therein.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Reminds me of the tussle between Manowar and TS in the 80's - TS challenged 'em to a street fight, Manowar responded with a challenge for the stage. I think Manowar beat 'em to the idea of riding motorcycles first, though.
    I'm pretty sure Rob Halford beat both of them, so far as riding motorcycles goes. For that matter, didn't Kris Kristofferson ride a motorcycle onstage in The Star Is Born?! Or does that not count?

Well, yeah, compared to the Rolling Stones, everything is a load of dren. Except The Beatles. And Queen. And Mahler. And Magma. And Beethoven.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    “But once I was in a little restaurant in Kansas, and a guy with Kiss Army tattoos kept playing Kiss songs on the jukebox. He believed in a marketing campaign, swallowed it as religion. He was like a convert to Scientology.”
    Wait, what's someone narrowed minded approach to playing songs on the jukebox got to do with anything? People to do with all sorts of things, not just Kiss. I used to work in a restaurant where I swear several times a week I'd have to listen to Brown Eyed Girl, Moondance, Redemption Song, I Shot The Sheriff, and that stupid Mr. Big acoustic song (ya know, "I'm the one who wants to sleep with you", or however the hook goes). I could swear I was hearing each song multiple times each night, too. Oy!

We also had a bartender who insisted on including the same three Rolling Stones CD's in the CD changer constantly. I'd ask her to change up the music occasionally, she'd say she had changed it up, and I'd say "Well how about taking a break on the Stones", and she'd be like, "But people like The Rolling Stones!". Yeah, but I'm sure they'd like to listen to something else occasionally while they eat dinner or destroy their livers. Because of her, I couldn't listen to the Stones for about 4 years after she quit.

So don't act like it's just "Kiss Army converts" who play Kiss non-stop on jukeboxes or whatever.

Who, Gene? The book Kis and Sell defnintely makes both him and Paul out to be basically idiots when it comes to business. If it wern't for Shannon Tweed and Sharon Osbonre and women lke that I get the impression guys like Gene and Ozzy would be lying in a ditch. Well, not Ozzy, he'd be dead.
    Well, Gene only met Shannon in the mid 80's (after she posed in Playboy a couple times, I think I got one of her centerfolds upstairs), so who was "taking care of business" (in every way) for him for the first decade of his career?! I suppose you're going to tell me it was Cher, or Diana Ross, or Star Stowe (another Playboy escapee, I definitely have her centerfold), or some other chick he dated in the 70's, huh?

As for Ozzy, Sharon is the Corporal Tom Parker of heavy metal. On the one, Ozzy would probably be dead if Sharon hadn't gotten involved with him, but at the same time, I think she's given him some bad business advice in recent years (eg reality TV, TV commercials, suing Iommi for control of the band name, etc). And I much prefer managers who stay hidden from the public. There's absolutely no reason anyone who isn't a Sabbath/Ozzy/ELO fannatic should know what Sharon Osbourne looks like. Yet, somehow, she's all over the TV, doing her own TV commercials, co-hosting that The View knockoff on CBS, and isn't she a judge on Star Search or whatever it is (they might as well call it Star Search, it's the exact same show, but without Ed McMahon). And I still haven't forgotten about her sabotaging Iron Maiden's set at one of the Ozzfest shows a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    And if it was a Rush fan wearing Rush tattoos and playing Rush songs on the jukebox… would he have said the same thing?
    I get the impression that Neil is fully perplexed by the whole fanboy thing. He said once that even when he was a massive Who fan as a teenager, he never dreamed of doing stuff like staking out the band's hotel or whatever, looking for autographs or whatever "personal connection" some of us seek from those we admire. I mean that's what the song Limelight is about, it's about how he doesn't feel that connection to the fans that they seem to have for him or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As for Ozzy, Sharon is the Corporal Tom Parker of heavy metal.
    When did Tom Parker get demoted?

On the one, Ozzy would probably be dead if Sharon hadn't gotten involved with him, but at the same time, I think she's given him some bad business advice in recent years (eg reality TV, TV commercials, suing Iommi for control of the band name, etc). And I much prefer managers who stay hidden from the public. There's absolutely no reason anyone who isn't a Sabbath/Ozzy/ELO fannatic should know what Sharon Osbourne looks like. Yet, somehow, she's all over the TV, doing her own TV commercials, co-hosting that The View knockoff on CBS, and isn't she a judge on Star Search or whatever it is (they might as well call it Star Search, it's the exact same show, but without Ed McMahon). And I still haven't forgotten about her sabotaging Iron Maiden's set at one of the Ozzfest shows a few years back.
    She's got a LOT of her father in her......

...she posed in Playboy a couple times, I think I got one of her centerfolds upstairs
    Can you please go upstairs and let us know for sure?

She's got a LOT of her father in her......

Ed Rooney: So that's how it is in their family.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Ed Rooney: So that's how it is in their family.
    depends on whether or not he has a centerfold in his attic

KISS's finances were a DISASTER prior to the reunion tour. The only reason they ever had any money was a run of amazing luck signing new record deals for large advances every time they ran out of cash and you can thank their managers for that. But Gene and Paul were always the guys saying stuff like, "Hey, let's take a circus on tour!"

I'm pretty sure Rob Halford beat both of them, so far as riding motorcycles goes. For that matter, didn't Kris Kristofferson ride a motorcycle onstage in The Star Is Born?! Or does that not count?
    I'm sure Joey DiMaio would dismiss Kristofferson as "false metal."
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

When did Tom Parker get demoted? :
    Not that I'm any kind of Elvis fan, but from what I read, he should have been demoted to KP when the sixties came round.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)