Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish You Were Here at 40

'Animals' has grown in stature over time for me. I now think it's the equal of its two predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Mixed album like dark side. Title song and cigar are pretty bland. Machine is the highlight. The diamonds have cool parts but that chorus is over dramatic and a bit of a chore to listen too. Animals is their best
    Would it have been better if 'Raving And Drooling', 'You Gotta Be Crazy' or 'Wine Glasses' had been on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I can't even BEGIN to fathom this statement.
    Okaay......I'll file that in my don't need to know, don't care file.
    I find it equally baffling that anyone could have WYWH as their favourite Floyd album.....but there you have it...you probably didn't need to know that and probably don't care either.....so now we're even.
    Last edited by PeterG; 09-11-2015 at 04:58 AM.

^ A little touchy are we? Just find it very hard believing such an incredibly good album wouldn't even rate in the top 10 of this band. Just out of sheer curiosity, which 10 are better? In your opinion....
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

^ A little touchy are we?
    No, not at all. I think it is you that was a bit touchy and who was clearly irritated by my comment to the degree that you simply couldn't let my opinion stand w/o commenting on it in the somewhat belittling way that you did.

But let's put that aside and talk about PF albums instead and I'll share my top 10 with you. Bear in mind I am not really a prog fan. 60s & 70s Pop and hard rock & metal have always been more my bag. I really disliked Floyd post-DSOTM and until Waters left the band.

1. Dark Side Of The Moon
    2. Piper
    3. Meddle
    4. Ummagumma
    5. Saucerful
    6. More
    7. Atom Heart Mother
    8. Obscured By Clouds
    9. The Division Bell
    10. MLOR

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No, not at all. I think it is you that was a bit touchy and who was clearly irritated by my comment to the degree that you simply couldn't let my opinion stand w/o commenting on it in the somewhat belittling way that you did.

But let's put that aside and talk about PF albums instead and I'll share my top 10 with you. Bear in mind I am not really a prog fan. 60s & 70s Pop and hard rock & metal have always been more my bag. I really disliked Floyd post-DSOTM and until Waters left the band.

1. Dark Side Of The Moon
    2. Piper
    3. Meddle
    4. Ummagumma
    5. Saucerful
    6. More
    7. Atom Heart Mother
    8. Obscured By Clouds
    9. The Division Bell
    10. MLOR
    Sorry that you found my comment "belittling", I was simply dumbfounded because of my own love for this album and found it hard to believe(still do) that anyone could like 10(!) of their albums better. Interesting that you rate More, Obscured and Umma Gumma higher. Meddle, having an epic-length side and a handful of "songs" also shares a similar format with WYWH but whatever turns you on is fine. To me WYWH has stood the test of time and still stands out to me as at least one of Floyd's best if not THE best.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The reason I didn't and still don't like WYWH is twofold 1) WYWH and SOYCD were played to death on UK radio up to and thru the 90s and 2) the two IMO filler tracks Cigar and Machine simply IMO ruined the album as a whole. I think it would have been far better if they had extended the two parts of SOYCD to album length, incorporating the lyrics of WYWH into SOYCD and ditched the rest.

Sorry that you found my comment "belittling", I was simply dumbfounded because of my own love for this album and found it hard to believe(still do) that anyone could like 10(!) of their albums better. Interesting that you rate More, Obscured and Umma Gumma higher. Meddle, having an epic-length side and a handful of "songs" also shares a similar format with WYWH but whatever turns you on is fine. To me WYWH has stood the test of time and still stands out to me as at least one of Floyd's best if not THE best.
    It might not be 10 above it but a close 6-7 I think. Everyone's got an opinion eh. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    It might not be 10 above it but a close 6-7 I think. Everyone's got an opinion eh. hehe
    +1

The reason I didn't and still don't like WYWH is twofold 1) WYWH and SOYCD were played to death on UK radio up to and thru the 90s and 2) the two IMO filler tracks Cigar and Machine simply IMO ruined the album as a whole. I think it would have been far better if they had extended the two parts of SOYCD to album length, incorporating the lyrics of WYWH into SOYCD and ditched the rest.
    Now I get it.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Now I get it.
    I'm glad. We're good.

I've always felt that Wish You Were Here and Animals were their best albums and for entirely different reasons. I love a lot of the pre-Dark Side material and some of the later stuff, but those two masterpieces stand head and shoulders above the rest of their discography like the Twin Towers once stood over the Manhattan skyline.

(Remembering those who lost their lives 14 years ago in New York, Pennsylvania and DC)
    The Prog Corner

1. Dark Side Of The Moon
    2. Piper
    3. Meddle
    4. Ummagumma
    5. Saucerful
    6. More
    7. Atom Heart Mother
    8. Obscured By Clouds
    9. The Division Bell
    10. MLOR
    More? really?!
    OBC isnt a whole lot better than More
    and AMLOR is just crazy to put ahead of WYWH bro
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    More? really?!
    Here ya go... More is #2 on my list. After Animals Obscured By Clouds is my #3. So what do you know? haha.

Amazing, timeless album.

I thought about it today, and realised that I find "Welcome to the MAchine" just a bit forgotten. I think it is top 5 among the stuff they have done. Itäs the perfect marriage of acoustic and electronic Floyd. People talk a lot about the other songs on this album but they seem to forget thos masterpiece. Not to mention Floyd themselves, who I wish played this live more often. I think they did it on the American leg of the Lapse tour, or something like that? And Waters included it sometimes, but I am not too fond of that version. Imagine if they had played it in 2005 in Hyde Park.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    More? really?!
    colours and tastes, dude (I prefer More to quite a fair bit of Floyd releases, actually)

But indeed putting AMLOR in front of Animals & the Wall & AHM sounds quite crazy, though Peter explained why he doesn't care for WYWH, because I thought that being rated so low would be a poseur type of thing... like something a Barrett-freak would say
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

After getting DSOM, and seeing the 73 tour, I was initially disappointed with WYWH.
    But, after wrapping my head around it, it has grown to be just about my favorite PF album.
    Too bad they ran into a Wall later.

40? Holy sh!t...

Sent Via Progressive Ears's Mobile App
    Regards,

Duncan

You must have had access to better radio stations than I did! Outside of Alan Freeman, Tommy Vance and Johnny Walker, nobody at the BBC was playing Floyd, and even they weren't playing the tracks you mention on a regular basis. And as for hearing them on local radio (Radio Clyde in my case), forget it. You got one rock music programme per week, tucked away late on a Friday night and prog rock wasn't really on the menu - it was hard rock/metal.

40? I'm feelin' mighty old at the moment. This is one of the few albums that I loved from beginning to end from the first time I heard it. Never tire of it. A desert island disk for sure.

It's interesting to here where some place this in the PF canon. It's always a 1 and 1a fight between Dark Side and Wish for their best. Then again Piper and More would be the two disks on the bottom of the pile for me. Like some, the Wall has lost a bit of its luster and Animals took years for me to really appreciate as I know feel it's their 3rd best album.

40?! I got to go to bed.

Ok USA fans, who remembers the LP came with Blue Plastic, because the record buying public would have totally panic'ed had they seen a man on fire (LOL)?

Also, who among you still have that blue plastic?

BTW: great album, one of my favs

Black plastic with mine, long gone.

I'll bet there are copies out there with the plastic still virgo intacta.

actually, in Canada, though I'd seen import copies with that black plastic wrapper v(not blue), the domestic release was just a normal transparent cellophane on which the sticker with the two hands spaceship over the four elements (water, fire, air and earth) was stuck on it.
    I guess most everyone got rid of the plastic/cellophane but kept the sticker placated on it, just like most everyone did with the DSOTM stickers inside the sleeve (but hung the two posters on their bedroom walls)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    You must have had access to better radio stations than I did! Outside of Alan Freeman, Tommy Vance and Johnny Walker, nobody at the BBC was playing Floyd, and even they weren't playing the tracks you mention on a regular basis. And as for hearing them on local radio (Radio Clyde in my case), forget it. You got one rock music programme per week, tucked away late on a Friday night and prog rock wasn't really on the menu - it was hard rock/metal.
    Was John Peel still playing them at that time? At one point he was probably their biggest champion.

I'm laughing at the idea of some of those BBC 'personality' DJs of the 70s/80s going near Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I disagree with you about the BBC, based simply on fact, I have at least 4 1970s BBC recordings of complete Floyd gigs that were recorded and broadcast live. BUT ALSO, You mean you never got to hear Bob Harris and John Peel on the radio in their prime? Floyd was all over the radio in the 70s and 80s, BBC and commercial. Also you can't list 3 BBC DJ's then say "nobody at the BBC". Back in the 70s, the broadcast hours were much shorter and there were far fewer DJs. Three rock DJs playing one band on Radio 1 was pretty close to half the stable BBC rock DJs.

I'm reminded of the what have the Romans ever done for us sketch."Outside of Alan Freeman, Tommy Vance and Johnny Walker, [B]nobody at the BBC was playing Floyd"

"Well apart from Sabbath, Queen, Lizzy, Zeppelin, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Nazareth, UFO, Budgie, Hawkwind there were no British hard rock bands in the 70s"
    Last edited by PeterG; 09-14-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Was John Peel still playing them at that time? At one point he was probably their biggest champion.

I'm laughing at the idea of some of those BBC 'personality' DJs of the 70s/80s going near Pink Floyd.
    I can't imagine Freeman ever playing Floyd.

Peel gave up on prog in about 74-75 when US punk hit us full on like a juggernaut in the fast lane!