Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackmore to reunite w/Rainbow & Deep Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Slower tempo but still solid... and that singer sounds great, particularly on the DIO era clips (also on youtube). Would definitely see them if they came to town.
    Theres' no tour. Just a couple of gigs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Two Stargazers, then *poof*.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'd buy a DVD, but I'm not sure he's interested to make it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stargazer sounded pretty good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Theres' no tour. Just a couple of gigs.
    Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Wow, the drama is already starting. Jesus H. Christ...
    Wait, are you speculating that he's one of the four former members?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The slower tempos are killing me. Stargazer just doesn't have "it" when it's played slower than the lp.

At least there is a real Hammond on stage. I do think I'll stop watching the boots as I want to see and hear this as it should be.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'll go and watch the end of it tomorrow, or soon at least, but I've seen a clip of Stargazer - which is where I stopped - from another show and it's as lackluster as the rest of the show I just stopped watching. i don't even want to see the end of the show but I'll watch it anyway.

I swear to you, I could play these songs better than this drummer, and the rest isn't any better. Where the hell IS Ritchie Blackmood, anyway? Barely shows up for this show.

I kinda thought this would happen even though I had hoped he would pull this off in a decent fashion. It's nopt completely awful, just close to it.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

He claims that arthritis is setting in. I knew there was a deficiency when I heard him soloing in "Highway Star" recently on a vid posted on another thread here ...but if he practiced loosening his fingers up and soaking them in hot water, overtime, the deficiency would even out. The wrist of the fingering hand sometimes prevents the fingers from spreading across 5 or 6 frets and the hand will freeze up along with sharp pain. Anthony Phillips made the mistake of over practicing after not touching the guitar at all for at least 6 months. He does nothing but stretches and he damaged his hand, having to give it considerable amount of time to heal. Then he had to start again and gain the endurance back slowly. Then he was able to record "Field Day".

Is it possible that all the years of playing in the acoustic renaissance style means that he's gone rusty in the technique needed for a more rock and roll style?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I'll go and watch the end of it tomorrow, or soon at least, but I've seen a clip of Stargazer - which is where I stopped - from another show and it's as lackluster as the rest of the show I just stopped watching. i don't even want to see the end of the show but I'll watch it anyway.

I swear to you, I could play these songs better than this drummer, and the rest isn't any better. Where the hell IS Ritchie Blackmood, anyway? Barely shows up for this show.

I kinda thought this would happen even though I had hoped he would pull this off in a decent fashion. It's nopt completely awful, just close to it.

Sounds like a not so good coverband. I don't like the singer. It's no Dio and not even Joe Lynn Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Is it possible that all the years of playing in the acoustic renaissance style means that he's gone rusty in the technique needed for a more rock and roll style?

That's always possible. However he is making everyone aware that arthritis is setting in which can be a burden regardless of what style you play. Arthritis can lay dormant for years and cause occasional upsets ...but if it's setting in and the affects are surfacing on a regular basis...then it decreases your overall performance. Blackmore might be doing the best he can to deal with that. On another note, he looks jaded playing that stuff. I'll have to observe more videos but he looks very bored. Just a feeling I get and perhaps it's based on aging more than anything else..

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

YMMV as they say. I just finally had the chance to watch the whole thing and I think it is great. Sure Ritchie is slower than 20 years ago but so what? He's very expressive and equally importantly he's actually relaxed. Nice mix of hard rock and blues, Rainbow and Purple. The guys look like they are having a lot of fun up there and I had fun watching it.

This iteration of Rainbow will release "Memories In Rock II" on April 6th. The set includes a double CD of the UK Rainbow concerts, a brand new Rainbow studio song "Waiting For A Sign", and a DVD of backstage footage of the band and crew.

Tracklisting:

Disc 1:
    "Over The Rainbow"
    "Spotlight Kid"
    "I Surrender"
    "Mistreated"
    "Since You've Been Gone"
    "Man On The Silver Mountain" / "Woman From Tokyo"
    "16th Century Greensleeves"
    "Soldier Of Fortune"
    "Perfect Strangers"
    "Difficult To Cure"
    "All Night Long"
    "Child In Time"

Disc 2:
    "Stargazer"
    "Long Live Rock'N'Roll" / "Lazy"
    "Catch The Rainbow"
    "Black Night"
    "Carry On Jon"
    "Temple Of The King"
    "Smoke On The Water"
    "Waiting For A Sign"

Disc 3:
    Ritchie Blackmore Interview
    Ronnie Romero Interview
    Jens Johansson Interview
    Bob Nouveau Interview
    David Keith Interview
    Candice Night Interview
    Lady Lynn Interview
    Dave David Interview
    Andreas Bock Interview
    Michael Bockmühl Interview
    Bonus Backstage Clip
    "I Surrender" 2017 Backstage Clip

I'll buy it, of course, but why no DVD of a show? Looks like they were filmed, based on the teaser intro.

Sadly based on Blackmore's comments, it looks like there will be no USA shows. I swapped a few emails with Bob Curiano (aka Bob Nouveau) a few months ago and he hinted the same thing. One of my last "bucket list" bands that are still playing out. But nowhere near me.

Ritchie should just go natural. give up the fucking wig.

is that Joe Lynn turner? if it is, he's not as annoying as he used to be

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar

So nice to hear a new Ritchie solo! Nice smooth Rainbow tempo too.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Not bad at all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's pretty damn good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not too exciting IMO - i saw it on youtube and one of the comments mentions it sounding like a demo which i couldn't agree more. I'd much prefer to listen to the new Purple, i've really grown to like what Morse and Airey are doing for the band.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Falls in the category of hell nearly freezing over...

Ritchie actually behind the idea of a "one-off" reunion show! Really thought I'd never see the day.

Of course, I probably won't, since the realities of the music business are what they are... (Interview starts around 1:30)

Yeah, also would have been nicer if this sentiment had occurred while Jon was still around, but as Blackmore points out, you never know who is going to be next....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

So nice to hear a new Ritchie solo! Nice smooth Rainbow tempo too.
    Nice to hear that classic Blackmore tone
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, he seems to be pretty candid about it. I would love to see it, but I saw it in the mid-80s and there's no way they could top that incredible performance I saw at the Philly Spectrum.

The vocalist is not up to the task. Just some mediocre singer from a Rainbow tribute band. I wish he could hire Doogie White again.

The worst thing is Blackmore's playing. The songs sound too soft and his technique not as good as it used to be.