Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Dream Theater : Live Scenes From New York

FEATURED CD - Dream Theater : Live Scenes From New York

Per Allmusic:
    Unfortunately, this fine live recording will always be remembered for the cover art. Released on September 11, 2001, the original cover displayed a flaming apple wrapped in barbed wire with the skyline of New York engulfed in flames. The band's trademark logo had always been a flaming heart wrapped in barbed wired, but for this recording the apple and skyline were added to reflect that the live concert was held in New York (Roseland Ballroom). The dreadful coincidence was a shock to both the band and record company, prompting an immediate recall. Tragically, this made the original pressings an instant collector's item to those who engage in such feckless activities. The issue received national media attention and the band, mostly comprised of native New Yorkers, issued a sympathetic statement that the recording would be re-released with a new cover. The recording itself is a live version of their prog rock masterpiece, Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory, plus additional live material performed the same evening. The production and sound quality are good and the band's energy is fittingly captured. This same live concert can be seen on the DVD Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-m...2-mw0000010763

Regards,

Duncan

I still have the CD with the original art. Great live album!

Suspended
    I believe there was at least one other band that had similar issues with their album cover at this time. The artwork featured something along the lines of a guy pressing a detonator, with a building exploding and collapsing in the background.

Back on topic: that first clip reinforces my opinion from the little I know of Dream Theater; namely, that their music would be much better without the vocals. It's a good song, until he starts wailing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I still have the CD with the original art. Great live album!
    I have that one, too. Really weird how that all went down.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Back on topic: that first clip reinforces my opinion from the little I know of Dream Theater; namely, that their music would be much better without the vocals. It's a good song, until he starts wailing.
    Totally agree. LaBrie, at best, is "non-annoying." At worst, he's unlistenable. And his live work is not always his strength. This is probably my favorite live release of theirs, if for nothing else than its breadth. But the performances are good, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I actually kind of like his voice.
    The Prog Corner

Never really got the Labrie bashing. I personally think he's a fine singer and has gotten better over the years, probably because he's made better choices about what he's actually able to pull off consistently live.

Personally, I haven't listened to this CD in years. Live albums generally don't get the spins that studio albums get for me.

A solid live album as always when it comes to Dream Theater... But I have to say that John & Theresa Solo Spot is one of the most ridiculous moments in DT's discography. A guy wanking on a guitar is one thing. A guy wanking on a guitar while a chick is wanking with her voice, apparently trying to come simultaneously, is just too much.

Although LaBrie did his occasional and typical live over reach (maybe he can't hear himself through the maelstrom)
    LIVE SCENES is an incredible performance and a desert island LIVE recording.

Can't believe all the grief James LaBrie is getting! Great vocalist with a remarkable vocal range.
    By the way a superb live album;up there with the best DT live releases!

Labrie is a great vocalist and his pipes hold up well in concert [unlike lots of others]
    A great live album that still gets repeated spins!!!

Suspended
    Never was much of a fan of live albums either (by anybody). I only have three or four.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Can't believe all the grief James LaBrie is getting! Great vocalist with a remarkable vocal range.
    "all the grief"? A couple of us have said that we don't like his voice much. A few others have said they are OK with it. That hardly qualifies as slaughtering the guy.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-08-2015 at 12:43 PM.

I'll give LaBrie grief! Actually I don't have anything against him but don't like his style with this music. If any band would benefit from a vocalist that could growl and sing it would be DT!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I've never heard this one, but I have the studio album.

that first clip reinforces my opinion from the little I know of Dream Theater; namely, that their music would be much better without the vocals. It's a good song, until he starts wailing.
    I have sort of a love/hate thing for Dream Theater and it's because it's almost as if they're two different bands. One plays these blistering metal/fusion instrumentals that makes me think of a "heavier" Dixie Dregs and the other has vocals and reminds me of the cheesier side of Journey. Of course they try to integrate those styles and sometimes it kind of works, but more often, it doesn't (need I say imho). I actually think LaBrie sounds good when he's singing softer passages in his lower register, but when he starts wailing in his upper register, I find it annoying. Others don't, which is fine, we all have our tastes. But it's not just that; a lot of the material that utilizes his vocals just doesn't do it for me while I love a lot of the instrumental sections and particularly their one or two all instrumental tracks per album. DT has (or had) a side project called Liquid Tension Experiment that's basically them without vocals and with Levin replacing Myung on bass. They made two albums and I think the second one is quite good, although for me, none of it is quite as a great as a few of DT's instrumental tracks like "Erotomania" or "Hell's Kitchen." As always, YMMV.

I don't think LaBrie is a bad singer, he definetly can sing.

But if there is a genre sceraming for dramatic vocals it is this one. And James couldn't be dramatic if his
    live depended on it.

I wish they would have kept John Hendricks instead (he was fired for not looking Metal enough).

Some guy (Marco Sandron) who sounds totally like James but can be dramatic (and is able to scream!)

I actually think Labrie has become a much better vocalist (and front man) over the years. It has been a few years since I have seen them, but I was quite impressed the last time. I have one of his solo albums where he uses a 2nd more gruff (not quite growly) vocalist here and there and the contrast works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I don't think LaBrie is a bad singer, he definetly can sing.

But if there is a genre sceraming for dramatic vocals it is this one. And James couldn't be dramatic if his
    live depended on it.

I wish they would have kept John Hendricks instead (he was fired for not looking Metal enough).

Some guy (Marco Sandron) who sounds totally like James but can be dramatic (and is able to scream!)

that's how Myungs bass should have been recorded on all DT albums!

if we are talking live album in its video form, then it's great. No doubt. LaBrie is superb especially on Spirit Carries On. That is towards end of the show, and he can still pull it off. And that was DT pinnacle for me... downhill from there.

Not a big fan of this gibberish either....but word is they needed this extended vamp because "guest narrator" missed his que to come back and continue the story !!

The "John/Theresa spot" this is

I never understood why there was any issue with the cover. Then again I thought the newer one was tons better, though, so whatever.

DT is one of those bands that always provides a good live performance, but doesn't leave me wanting a live recording because they barely change anything from the studio versions. This one was the main exception. The mash-up is pretty interesting, the Awake trilogy gets a new dynamic shading and the solos are... as close to non-wanky as these guys get.

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    Not a big fan of this gibberish either....but word is they needed this extended vamp because "guest narrator" missed his que to come back and continue the story !!
    He didn't have a cue there, though, did he? I recall hearing something about the narrator causing a little delay somewhere, but I thought it was a small thing. When they vamp, it's generally because they had some onstage scene change to cover.
    Last edited by Spiral; 09-10-2015 at 10:42 AM.

I believe there was at least one other band that had similar issues with their album cover at this time. The artwork featured something along the lines of a guy pressing a detonator, with a building exploding and collapsing in the background.

If I remember correctly it was a Rap group called The Coup. I don't remember exactly what the album cover was, but it was similar. Could have the band name wrong too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If I remember correctly it was a Rap group called The Coup. I don't remember exactly what the album cover was, but it was similar. Could have the band name wrong too.
    It had planes crashing into the twin towers.

Also Slayer released God Hates Us All that day.

Make of that what you will.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    ^^ Yes, that was the one. Talk about bad timing.

I was at this show. Also have the original artwork. While it's not my favorite Dream Theater live album, Score ( I was there too) probably wins that contest. It's still a favorite commercial live album. The Spirit Carries On from this show may be may favorite performance of this ever (even better than the Score performance) but then I don't mind gospel choirs and that really adds a lot hear and the band just feeds off of it. The DVD definitely looks a bit dated but is still a fun watch every once in a while.

As much as I like this show, I thought the two night stand at the Beacon Theater 18 months later was even better. I wish those were professionally recorded. The inclusion of the Six Degrees material (a top album for me) and the Master Of Puppets cover are just a few highlights of these two shows for me.

But Live Scenes was great. It seemed like the show went on forever. Definitely a band milestone.