Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neighbors played band faith no more on radio i was was like wow

Woodpecker from Mars is still a favorite exercise track for me... love that one from the first FNM album. When I heard them, King's X, and Nine Inch Nails, I remember thinking that prog's best hope for survival was genre crossover. Interestingly, crossovers did do pretty well (especially on the backs of Radiohead), but prog survived on its own in the underground too with the advent of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not around here, they didn't.
    I remember hearing quite a bit of their music on the radio, though obviously nothing as big as "Epic". And not just from "The Real Thing". From Angel Dust, "Midlife Crisis" was played quite a lot, and "A Small Victory" was played as well. From King For A Day, "Digging the Grave", a video for it got the Beavis and Butthead treatment too. For their final album, Album of the Year, "Last Cup of Sorrow was on the radio quite a bit. This was in New Jersey (WDHA) and New York (WNEW). MTV was a big supporter, as their videos played quite often in the early 90's. Definitely not a "one hit wonder" in terms of their success, though I guess so if you just go by having top 40 hits. By that logic, Rush is also a one hit wonder with "Big Money" being their only top 40 single.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgSeeker View Post
    Woodpecker from Mars is still a favorite exercise track for me... love that one from the first FNM album. When I heard them, King's X, and Nine Inch Nails, I remember thinking that prog's best hope for survival was genre crossover. Interestingly, crossovers did do pretty well (especially on the backs of Radiohead), but prog survived on its own in the underground too with the advent of the Internet.
    Epic is not FNM's debut, but it is the debut album for their singer Mike Patton. Previous to The Real Thing, FMN recorded We Care Alot and Introduce Yourself with singer Chuck Mosley.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Epic is not FNM's debut, but it is the debut album for their singer Mike Patton. Previous to The Real Thing, FMN recorded We Care Alot and Introduce Yourself with singer Chuck Mosley.
    Yikes! Bad form on my part... obviously not a band for which I can claim expertise!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgSeeker View Post
    Yikes! Bad form on my part... obviously not a band for which I can claim expertise!
    Well, The Real Thing should be FNM's debut in the eyes of many(including the band). Some say that Chucky boy and the band were not a great match.

Mike Patton was a huge improvement for FNM, he really elevated the band. That being said, I do really like the song "We Care a Lot". Have not heard anything else from the debut album.

Great underrated band. "Angel Dust" is their masterpiece. Their last album, "Album of the Year," was released to little fanfare but has some great songs.