Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bartok binge!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Contrasts is such a great piece - I have adored that piece for years now
    Do you have the Benny Goodman Collector's Edition CD? It has the 1940 recording of Contrasts with Bartok on piano. It also features several 1960s performances of pieces by Copland, Bernstein, Stravinsky, and Morton Gould. In an unrelated side note, Gould wrote a piece called Pavanne, also recorded by Columbia. It contains the melody that Coltrane lifted for Impressions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbslD5nz-8

My favorite. Hands down. I have the Complete Works set - so good. I roll out a random playlist and Bartok comes up a lot - All fine and dandy!

In the old days Trigaux used to tune the PA on Present concerts using Concerto For Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    In the old days Trigaux used to tune the PA on Present concerts using Concerto For Orchestra
    Awesome!

chalkpie
    Pretty damn cool. I would have thought that RT was a huge admirer of BB - there are definite "Bartokisms" to be found in Present.

Right now i have Concerto for Orchestra and Divertimento on repeat mode - can't get enough. Gonna hit Mandarin next in a few days.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Do you have the Benny Goodman Collector's Edition CD? It has the 1940 recording of Contrasts with Bartok on piano. It also features several 1960s performances of pieces by Copland, Bernstein, Stravinsky, and Morton Gould. In an unrelated side note, Gould wrote a piece called Pavanne, also recorded by Columbia. It contains the melody that Coltrane lifted for Impressions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbslD5nz-8
    Don't have it - but I seem to recall hearing it somewhere - I think my pal Tunney (robot vocals guy) has it and played it for me?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    My favorite. Hands down. I have the Complete Works set - so good. I roll out a random playlist and Bartok comes up a lot - All fine and dandy!

I picked up the 8 disk for $27 and free shipping and it came in 2 days

Tasty stuff, I'm focusing on a single CD at a time to fully absorb

Thx for recommendation

while on tour with Thinking Plague we stopped one night at Stevan Tickmayer's place
    Stevan played us some great eastern european stuff
    And he pulled out this amazing book that had Bartok's hand written transcriptions of Hungarian folk music
    what an amazing night

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    I picked up the 8 disk for $27 and free shipping and it came in 2 days

Tasty stuff, I'm focusing on a single CD at a time to fully absorb

Thx for recommendation
    Excellent man - please keep us posted on your impressions

chalkpie
    while on tour with Thinking Plague we stopped one night at Stevan Tickmayer's place
    Stevan played us some great eastern european stuff
    And he pulled out this amazing book that had Bartok's hand written transcriptions of Hungarian folk music
    what an amazing night
    Wow - pretty amazing - I would love to bend that guys ear for a few hours

He is a wonderful guy
    The entire time we were together ( he played keyboards for Thinking Plague ) we spoke hungarian !
    He later made me an amazing easter european folk / contemporary music compilation (I can gladly share playlist )
    best of all he is responsible for making a dark chocolate freak !

He is a wonderful guy
    The entire time we were together ( he played keyboards for Thinking Plague ) we spoke hungarian !
    He later made me an amazing easter european folk / contemporary music compilation (I can gladly share playlist )
    best of all he is responsible for making a dark chocolate freak !
    Please share it. I'm in a great spot for something new and cool.

Yes please do! Also, can anyone recommend good recordings of Bartok's piano music (particularly things he did beyond Mikrokosmos)? I'm not familiar with most of the pieces listed here.

Quote Originally Posted by dleone View Post
    Yes please do! Also, can anyone recommend good recordings of Bartok's piano music (particularly things he did beyond Mikrokosmos)? I'm not familiar with most of the pieces listed here.
    Complete Piano Works by Zoltan Kocsis on the Decca label.

More info here. http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=508983

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by dleone View Post
    I have the set played by Gyorgy Sandor on the Vox label - it was ridiculously inexpensive and I love it. The cover is a photo with Bela and Gyorgy with a score (I think).

chalkpie

Excellent performance of the piano sonata. I was able to play about half of this, back in high school days.

Last edited by MissKittysMom; 09-11-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Edit: get whole sonata instead of first movement only
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

I love a lot of the String Quartets - No 3 [BB 93] Prima parte - Moderato, Allegro to name a couple - but I think Kubrick is who slammed Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta into my soul forever. So friggin scary to me as a kid when I first heard it. BUT - so beautiful. I can listen to that one on a desert island forever.

Pure fun: Lang Lang and Mark Guiliani give a rock treatment to Prokofiev 3rd concerto and Bartok 2nd concerto.

Also, Bartok's mentor and friend, Zoltan Kodaly. The collaborated a lot in collecting Hungarian folk songs, which became the basis for much of their music.

Another Hungarian worth knowing, Miklos Rozsa. Although he's best known for film scores, he wrote a number of classical works as well, including this piano sonata, as well as concertos and other works. This sonata is one of my favorites, probably closer in style to Bartok than the Kodaly quartets I linked to earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Complete Piano Works by Zoltan Kocsis on the Decca label.

More info here. http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=508983
    Thank you! Listening to him performing the Sonatina, and immediately reminded of G. Ligeti's Musica Ricercata, which must have been hugely influenced by Bartok.

This is off the subject of Bartok, but should be of interest to 20th century music listeners. All of the works of three major Polish composers can be streamed free of charge. If you click on the composer's image you can find a video documentary, and all of that composer's works. And I know Frankster is a big Lutoslawski fan. I hadn't listened to any of his chamber music, so I really enjoyed the trio for oboe, clarinet, and bassoon.
    http://ninateka.pl/kolekcje/en/three-composers