Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIVERSIDE - Love, Fear and the Time Machine

RIVERSIDE - Love, Fear and the Time Machine

I didn't think it was going to be possible to beat Beardfish's 4626-Comfortzone for album of the year.

Now I see that it was a mistake to underestimate our friends from Poland.

It's very unlike me to gush about an album after one, two, or even three listens, but Riverside's Love, Fear and the Time Machine is stonking (as our Brit friends say) great. This is a band that is obviously maturing as musicians and songwriters. It has a delicate emotional mood that is familiar to their typical sound, but integrates fascinating new textures.

This is not a great prog album. This is just a great album, period.

Listening to this album right now - sounds good so far, although I didn't like too much the couple of songs this band played and NOTP festival in Germany this summer.
    "Towards the blue horizon" in its instrumental part strongly reminds me of Porcupine Tree

Suspended
    I'm mildly surprised at another Riverside album, because after Mariusz went solo and did three albums on his own I assumed he was going to go the same road as Steven Wilson and that Riverside would be on "indefinite hiatus".

Its a brilliant release.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

I'm enjoying it on regular rotation this weekend. First impressions wasn't too good but like other Riverside albums it takes a couple of listens. It is a more conservative (not as heavy) as previous efforts, somewhat more mellow but also mature although has the signature Riverside sound. Sonically the album sounds great as well. Will likely make Riverside more accessible to folks who like the lighter side of prog. Agree with the OP that this could be the album of the year (Beardfish & Kingcrow being the other two standouts so far this year).

A band that I have always struggled to get into but will give this one a try!

Here's a review of Love, Fear and the Time Machine from The Progressive Aspect

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...-time-machine/

Quote Originally Posted by Jezmond View Post
    Here's a review of Love, Fear and the Time Machine from The Progressive Aspect

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...-time-machine/
    Congrats, excellent review.

This album is slowly growing on me, but I like it more and more with each listen. I'm still coming to terms with the lack of heaviness. Not that I'm a prog metal fan at all but I always found that one of the strengths of this band was how they alternated between heavy and calmer melodic sections. Now that they have removed the heavy element from their music, it has a different, unexpected feel.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm mildly surprised at another Riverside album, because after Mariusz went solo and did three albums on his own I assumed he was going to go the same road as Steven Wilson and that Riverside would be on "indefinite hiatus".
    He has always sprinkled Lunatic Soul albums in between Riverside albums.

I have no clue how well LS albums sell, but my guess is not as well as Riverside.

I really liked the first 3, but couldn't get into ADHD. SoaNG grew on me slowly and I wound up liking it a lot (works well while I'm plowing in Winter) Hows this new one on the metal side? I will be picking it up eventually anyway, but I must admit I did miss the heavy on the last.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I really liked the first 3, but couldn't get into ADHD. SoaNG grew on me slowly and I wound up liking it a lot (works well while I'm plowing in Winter) Hows this new one on the metal side? I will be picking it up eventually anyway, but I must admit I did miss the heavy on the last.
    See posts #5 and #8.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    See posts #5 and #8.

neil
    Thanks...shows how observant I am

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Thanks...shows how observant I am
    I was going to say if you missed the heaviness on SONGS you might want to avoid the new one (definitely their least heavy so far) but then you ended up liking SONGS and couldn't get into ADHD (their heaviest by far) so I guess you're going to have to try the new one and see for yourself!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Newbury Comics only has the standard edition. How's the bonus disc?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I was going to say if you missed the heaviness on SONGS you might want to avoid the new one (definitely their least heavy so far) but then you ended up liking SONGS and couldn't get into ADHD (their heaviest by far) so I guess you're going to have to try the new one and see for yourself!
    I don't understand me either. But yes I will indeed, happily see for myself.

Went through it once...sort of samey to me...some nice moments here and there; can do without the keyboards and the second disc is another throw-away Floyd homage.

ADHD was my favorite. Loved the energy! Looking forward to a mellowed adventure with Time Machine.

I'll try and get a track up from the new Riverside work on next week's PM Show.

Look for it via this link. Show #81.

http://www.xray.fm/shows/the-pm-show

All the best!

JB

Riverside Love.jpg
    Host of The PM Show on 107.1 & 91.1, KXRY, Portland, Oregon, USA, 99.9 KXRW-LP, Vancouver, Washington, USA, Jazzbox Radio International in Paris, France http://www.jazzbox-radio.fr/ and streaming online everywhere at www.xray.fm

Interesting that Riverside's new album is not getting talked about here on a prog site. I'm enjoying the new album and glad to see les harder edge songs and a more poppy prog.

top tracks
    Time Travellers
    #addicted
    Lost (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching)
    Last edited by hightea; 09-18-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Only just got my copy last weekend after seeing them at ProgPower. I've only listened to it once, but it is extremely mellow. Not sure if that is a good thing. I'll need more time with it to form an opinion.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm loving this melodic gem.

Quote Originally Posted by hightea View Post
    Interesting that Riverside's new album is not getting talked about here on a prog site. I'm enjoying the new album and glad to see les harder edge songs and a more poppy prog.

top tracks
    Time Travellers
    #addicted
    Lost (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching)
    Still need to buy it. Planned on getting it at the show Wednesday but I had to miss it. Sniff.

Sweet album. These are my boys and I'm happy as Taylor Swift's panties with this new one.

My kind of music that Porcupine Tree stopped making. I still have that football jersey they signed at NF.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Burning Shed has for preorder a new, special edition of this: Special CD/DVD edition featuring 5.1 and 24 bit stereo mixes of the album, extra tracks and video clips.

I already have a 2 disk version in hardback digibook format - is the 2nd disk in that just a CD with extra tracks? I think so. Blast InsideOut!

Listened to this a few days back, and it's a great album!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ......Listened to this a few days back, and it's a great album!
    I agree Jed. In fact, I spun this yesterday, and have not grown tired of listening to it after multiple listens. There's something about this record that just draws me in and keeps me there until after the last note fades away.