Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Live from Progday 2015

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is the guy dressed like he's Amish sitting there with his book? Get a shot of him.

Banned

Banned
    Almost the end, rain coming[emoji571]🏼

https://vimeo.com/138474356

ProgDay 2015 was my 7th consecutive Labor Day weekend at Storybook Farm. Every year has been amazing, but this year topped them all. It was a two-day, no-fat, no-gristle, high-protein prog diet to get one in shape for the fall. Congratulations and many thanks to Michael and all the rest of the ProgDay gang for pulling off such an amazing festival. No other musical event comes close to matching the excellence of ProgDay. Three cheers!!!

judging by the vidz, it looked like a decent variety of Prog styles were represented

was there only about 100 or so people there though?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    was there only about 100 or so people there though?
    Where are the new Prog Festivals? A rant

[p.s. - for the humor impaired, I am making a sad joke]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Great seeing everybody once again at the hotel - - - glad that the absinthe products finally got finished off. I knew that I could count on you people for that effort !!!

Weather wise = easily the best since 2007 . . . ask anybody.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Great seeing everybody once again at the hotel - - - glad that the absinthe products finally got finished off. I knew that I could count on you people for that effort !!!

Weather wise = easily the best since 2007 . . . ask anybody.
    Glad to hear, I did my drive back to MD last night, arriving at 1230 AM. Couldn't handle the Labor Day 95 surge, especially since the gas is cheap and folks are driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Where are the new Prog Festivals? A rant

[p.s. - for the humor impaired, I am making a sad joke]
    To be fair, I think the drop in attendance ProgDay experienced this year almost certainly had more to do with the tardiness of booking/announcing bands rather than any other factor. This has to be addressed in 2016 for the continued health of ProgDay.

As for new festivals - that's a tough one. Someone mentioned fan-based organization like ProgDay, NEARFest, ROSFest, etc. I'd be curious to know how MorseFest did this past weekend...and aren't the prog cruises organized by band/industry insiders? Perhaps the next wave of festivals will come from record labels (Esoteric?) or (higher profile) bands...or something semi-attached to another fanbase (I remember briefly toying with the idea of booking Daemonia many moons ago and coordinating something with the Retrofantasma Film Series in Durham, NC).

Peter

Peter

See you all next year !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    To be fair, I think the drop in attendance ProgDay experienced this year almost certainly had more to do with the tardiness of booking/announcing bands rather than any other factor. This has to be addressed in 2016 for the continued health of ProgDay.
    I'm sure you are right, although I didn't know that there was a drop in attendance because I wasn't there either this year - after attending for the previous 4 or 5 in a row - for several reasons

It wasn't the only reason, but not finding out about bands until so late in the game was definitely not a help.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned

Live from Progday 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm sure you are right, although I didn't know that there was a drop in attendance because I wasn't there either this year - after attending for the previous 4 or 5 in a row - for several reasons

It wasn't the only reason, but not finding out about bands until so late in the game was definitely not a help.
    I was there and did not perceive a drop in attendance. There are a lot of canopies spread out over the grass.
    Last edited by Firth; 09-07-2015 at 11:44 AM.

I also didn't notice attendance being lighter than usual. As for the tardy announcement, that happens every year.

To be honest, most attendees probably would be there no matter the band. I know my attendance has nothing to do with the lineup.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    See you all next year !!!
    Great Picture!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This drop in attendance is something someone here thought he perceived based on a few photos that only showed the first few "rows" where people sit with no real sun shades. That's a small part of the crowd, though I believe the crowd is usually in the lower 200s. But I'm not qualified to say, really.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This drop in attendance is something someone here thought he perceived based on a few photos that only showed the first few "rows" where people sit with no real sun shades. That's a small part of the crowd, though I believe the crowd is usually in the lower 200s. But I'm not qualified to say, really.
    My first video for Quantum Fantay includes a pan across the field near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My first video for Quantum Fantay includes a pan across the field near the end.
    I was not there this year, but the festival normally budgets for around 200. From the pictures and videos I saw it looked to be about a normal size crowd. Don't know that for sure though.

Banned

Live from Progday 2015

On Friday evening I went to Eddy's Pub in Saxapahaw. Nice new little music venue, where I was eating at a table on a loft which overlooks the hall. All reclaimed wood and steel in this old mill. In the Rathskeller is a Farmhouse ales brewery that has some real tasty Belgium styles. In Carrboro, I went Tyler's a Taproom and had a sampler of NC IPAs which were top shelf.

Brotonthecat
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was not there this year, but the festival normally budgets for around 200. From the pictures and videos I saw it looked to be about a normal size crowd. Don't know that for sure though.
    I thought one of the committee (Deb) said to me it was down this year, maybe I heard it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    On Friday evening I went to Eddy's Pub in Saxapahaw. Nice new little music venue, where I was eating at a table on a loft which overlooks the hall. All reclaimed wood and steel in this old mill. In the Rathskeller is a Farmhouse ales brewery that has some real tasty Belgium styles. In Carrboro, I went Tyler's a Taproom and had a sampler of NC IPAs which were top shelf.
    That's a very cool venue - we've seen a few shows there and it's always a treat. Hard to believe that just a few years ago there were trees growing in that space with lots of varmits . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brotonthecat View Post
    I thought one of the committee (Deb) said to me it was down this year, maybe I heard it wrong.
    You could very well be right. Deb handles ticket sales so she would know.

So last year I took a shot from the stage on Sunday morning just before "Church" started.
    Did it again this year. Same lens, 2014 7mm 2015 14mm Doh!
    progday2014.jpg
    progday2015.jpg
    It was great to meet some people from PE.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

There was a fair amount of virgins there to even out the regulars who couldn't make it for many reasons. Steve F. even sent a dop·pel·gäng·er.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

ProgDay was fine this year. Enjoyed all the bands. Weather was damned close to being the best I've *ever* seen on that field.

Sad to see some regulars didn't make it, but plenty of folks did and there were many fine conversations throughout the weekend.

Great times, great peeps, great music...looking forward to 2016 already!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

We had a long drive yesterday and made it back last night.

I'd like to thank everyone from the Prog Day organizers to the audience members, to the other bands for making this a a really fun time. This is the first Prog Day I've been able to attend, but I'm really going to make an effort to get back in future years. I really liked the vibe and I liked the mix of artists represented. I got turned onto some things I hadn't heard before, and got a chance to check out some bands I'd been considering, so it was a really good mix for me.

Playing-wise, the stage setup and sound was super. Everyone was really nice and helpful, and I thought the audience was extremely attentive and it was great to see some folks groovin' to our stuff. It was a big effort for us to make this gig, and honestly that experience onstage made it all worthwhile, and I really appreciate it.

I can't comment much on attendance because I haven't gone before. My wife did a rough count, and she estimated a bit over 200 people there. It would be great if more people could go, but Labor Day weekend is great for some, lousy for others. And Durham isn't as accessible for large population centers like Bethlehem was. But now that I've done it once, I can easily picture doing it again. So I'd say if it's in your reach and you're on the fence, give it a go.

So again, thanks to everybody. It was great meeting a lot of people from PE in person. We hope to see you again real soon.

Bill