Thread: Roland Kirk's influence on Ian Anderson

Roland Kirk's influence on Ian Anderson

I have just been listening to Roland Kirk's 'I talk with the spirits' release . There is an obvious Tull connection in Kirks opening piece 'Serenade to a Cuckoo' and Ian has always conceded that Kirk was an influence on his early flute playing.
    I was surprised to notice another apparent connection. It has just occurred to me why Ian's Meliora Sequamur from Homo Erraticus sounded familiar.
    Kirk has apparently entered Ian's sub conscious and influenced his song writing. Maybe its just my old abused ears playing tricks, but if you own, or are familiar with 'I talk with the Spirits', check out Kirk's 'Fugue'n and Alludin' to see if you can notice any similarities.

If there is a melodic similarity, I very much doubt that Ian was aware of this when creating this tune; unless of course it is some sort of 'in' joke perhaps relating back to Ian's school day experiences. After all, Meliora Sequamur was the motto of Ian's school ; Blackpool Boys Grammar School. Whatever the cause, it just goes to show that melodies and influences can reappear some fifty years later. I guess songwriters have always sub consciously assimilated a combination of images and influences into their creative process.

Here is Roland Kirks tune

Here is Ian's tune

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    I have just been listening to Roland Kirk's 'I talk with the spirits' release . There is an obvious Tull connection in Kirks opening piece 'Serenade to a Cuckoo' and ...

Yes, there's a connection alright...

Fugue & Alludin' YT not available anymore

I was always a little disappointed with Kirk's original Serenade, considering how much better Tull's version is.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I was always a little disappointed with Kirk's original Serenade, considering how much better Tull's version is.
    Wow... Kirk's was a smooth jazz tune that swung, Tull's was more of a blues interpretation. I'd say Tull did well by not falling on their ass covering a tune like that; they did it proud but I personally wouldnt go around saying it beats Kitk

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Wow... Kirk's was a smooth jazz tune that swung, Tull's was more of a blues interpretation. I'd say Tull did well by not falling on their ass covering a tune like that; they did it proud but I personally wouldnt go around saying it beats Kitk
    Mmmhhh!!!!... personally I think it's Tull's jazziest track ever... the rest of the This Was album is bluesy, but this is definitely jazzy

Apparently, Anderson claims he learned the flute with this track, but nowdays cringes when hearing it...

Beg to differ... never sounded better, IMHO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's jazzy, but it's bluesy next to the original... Ian adds a lot of blues licks to the flute part (which I like!) I agree, I think Ian played very well on it. Raw, in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Fugue & Alludin' YT not available anymore.
    It think it is working in the UK . Wondering if anybody else can hear the similarities in Fugue'n & Alludin' and Meliora Sequamur .
    Last edited by prestonplatform; 09-05-2015 at 03:41 PM.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that David Jackson was influenced by Kirk. I'm not surprised that Ian would be either.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that David Jackson was influenced by Kirk. I'm not surprised that Ian would be either.
    anybody blowing in two wind instruments simultaneously will be (Dick Heckstall-Smith of Colosseum as well)

This said, Rashaan apparently managed three at a time