Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homunculus Res

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    the new one is destroying me... I cant stop - its reached that place where the sweetness and joy of it is super heavy. Fantastic.
    I am relistening now - after letting it sink for 3 weeks - and it is reaching the same place here. This is my delicious canterburian gelato for this summer. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    For some reason this band just doesn't connect with me, gave the new one a listen today and will give it at least another couple but I doubt I'll jump on it.
    Really liked their first two, though maybe eyeing a bit too much on Canterbury as a gimmick, but that's what grabbed me

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I liked the first one, it had more memorable songs to my ears. I have the second one, but I've tried and just can't get into it. I've sampled the new one and frankly I got bored and didn't get through it. I'll give it another listen, but maybe these guys just aren't for me; though I'll likely keep that first album.

Bill
    These guys have fallen from my auto-buy list with this album.

Next time, I'll give it a listen on bandcamp before deciding to order. 0

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Secondly, I'm seemingly on an island here, but I prefer the second disc to the first (quite like both though).

Third, don't love this on listen one, but I understand these things take time and I won't abandon it. I definitely wouldn't call it dense either. But, whenever this makes it way to American shores I'll be sure to grab a copy.
    Yup, me too.

And TBH, I'm really having a hard time with the new pne >> I lose patience after a couple of tracks... then I FFWD and skip, and I keep thinking I'm hearing the same track I zapped away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I broke down and got the new HR album. Also spun the second one the other night.

For whatever reason, the second one clicked for me a bit more than previous listens, and I have to say I enjoyed the new one quite a bit tonight on a first spin. Maybe I was just in the mood, but I definitely found both of these albums more enjoyable that the past. Not the greatest stuff, but they definitely have their charm. Hopefully they'll continue to grow on me, but I'm happy I stuck with it.

Bill
    mmhhh!!!... I liked their second one best (and by a fair margin over their debut), but TBH, their latest I can't possibly get through it as it really annoys me... I regret not having listened to the bandcamp, but I figured HR was an auto-buy after their first two....

My most disappointing buy with Gosta Berling Saga's Et Ex
    If anyone want either of those two CDs, I'll make a price to go.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-17-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Third one is my favorite - more hooks - more maturity - not sure why it doesnt work for some - shit - its beautiful Italian pastoral glory.

just bought the second album with the Steve Kretzmer feature and a lot of praise here, looking forward to digging in to it!

And it's a great one. They have managed to sound both lighter and "poppier" and at the same time more sophisticated and denser than ever.

Fans of Canterbury, Stereolab, avant-pop should proceed to the cash register with eyes closed.

Listening now. A real Canterbury joy of an album.
    Last edited by thedunno; 08-07-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Well, Friday I broke down and got the digital version from Bandcamp during the "Bandcamp Friday" event. I figured, why wait for the CD when I could send some money their way right now and have a listen as a result? Didn't have the time to give it a spin over the weekend, but I'm going to listen today.

Stereolab is an interesting point of reference but it may be on point. The Canterbury influences seem to be back too. I really like all three of their previous LP's but this one is really special. Between this, the new LogoS and Quel Che Disse Il Tuono it's been a great year for Italian Prog already!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Stereolab is an interesting point of reference but it may be on point. The Canterbury influences seem to be back too. I really like all three of their previous LP's but this one is really special. Between this, the new LogoS and Quel Che Disse Il Tuono it's been a great year for Italian Prog already!!!
    Quel Che Disse Il Tuono is pretty good. Logos less so.

But Homunculus Res is on a different level altogether in my opinion.

Still enjoying the latest Homunculus Res album. Listening this morning, and it continues to surprise me. There are so many great melodies and passages on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Still enjoying the latest Homunculus Res album. Listening this morning, and it continues to surprise me. There are so many great melodies and passages on this one.
    Just got this one and I've spun it probably three to four times. I like it. It's not knocking me out, but it's what I'd expect from the band. I didn't really love their second album either, but it eventually grew on me. I like the third one a lot, and I still think the debut is my favorite. Definitely leaving this out for more exploration. My only real complaint is that the master just seems totally brickwalled.

Bill

^ Glad you're liking it! I've listened to it probably a dozen times or more. There was a good week or two where I listened to it every day while working from home, simply because I felt like it.

It's an easily digestible set of songs, but there's enough going on that it rewards repeat listens. It seems to go by faster than its actual runtime, for me, which is probably a good sign. I didn't notice the mastering really, but it just sounds kinda lo-fi maybe at least to my ears. Makes me think of early Soft Machine or something. The waveform doesn't look squashed in the program I'm using at least.

The new Homunculus Res kills! I don't know how Dario keeps getting better and better as a songwriter and arranger. Stellar album!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The new Homunculus Res kills! I don't know how Dario keeps getting better and better as a songwriter and arranger. Stellar album!
    Agreed! Spent the weekend doing yard work with it. The flavor is ON POINT.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Excellent album indeed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Bought this one on Bandcamp last night but haven’t had a chance to listen yet. Hopefully tonight.

Their last one was phenomenal and in my top three of the whole of 2020 (not that that means anything to anyone else).

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Bought this one on Bandcamp last night but haven’t had a chance to listen yet. Hopefully tonight.

Their last one was phenomenal and in my top three of the whole of 2020 (not that that means anything to anyone else).
    I have enjoyed all of them quite a lot! My most played album each year is the one they release that year. This is has been around the block 4 times now.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Dario and company have a way, for sure
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...