Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homunculus Res

It's not on altrock bandcamp for some reason.

First listen today and it's definitely an excellent record. Very tight stuff, nothing superfluous. Lots of detailed and inspired work on the woodwind-brass arrangements.

This will be getting a lot of play with me. Good that there are still musicians that hold the banner high.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    First listen today and it's definitely an excellent record. Very tight stuff, nothing superfluous. Lots of detailed and inspired work on the woodwind-brass arrangements.
    All true. I would just like to add that I think the greatest improvement compared to the previous two are the vocal arrangments. I always thought this was a weak point of the band. They fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    All true. I would just like to add that I think the greatest improvement compared to the previous two are the vocal arrangments. I always thought this was a weak point of the band. They fixed that.
    On my 5th listen this morning - it definitely takes more than a few rounds to stick in places but man - its great. Highly recommended and you get Dave Newhouse on those woodwinds on several tunes too!

Are they still riffing on prime era Picchi dal Pozzo? That’s as profound an inspiration as an Italian band can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    - it definitely takes more than a few rounds to stick in places!
    Yes, it does. At first it comes as a rather uniform record which makes it hard to discern the songs as autonomous entities. Which they are.

Also the massive 60's pop element -italian, french - can create the deceptive impression that this is an easy-to- digest work. But what they have done is to incorporate extremely elaborate parts into the simple-song structure, which is quite a unique and hard to pull experiment. In this sense, this is the over-ambitious record, not the previous one, which structurally is much closer to the 70's prog format.

There is also a direct link with 90's bands like Stereolab and High Llamas. But on the more experimental, adventurous side of things.

This is getting better than my high expectations with every listen...

Now it is by the way. There is also another new one: "La Dottrina degli Opposti" never heared of this band, have to check them out.

Yes, it does. At first it comes as a rather uniform record which makes it hard to discern the songs as autonomous entities. Which they are.

Also the massive 60's pop element -italian, french - can create the deceptive impression that this is an easy-to- digest work. But what they have done is to incorporate extremely elaborate parts into the simple-song structure, which is quite a unique and hard to pull experiment. In this sense, this is the over-ambitious record, not the previous one, which structurally is much closer to the 70's prog format.

There is also a direct link with 90's bands like Stereolab and High Llamas. But on the more experimental, adventurous side of things.

This is getting better than my high expectations with every listen...
    Man... it hit it's stride this weekend - had time to really listen and dig in - wow... it just gets better and better once you understand how it flows. Some super melodies and damn the little bits are so cool... and not easy to discover - which makes this a huge repeat player for me. Dense.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Up on Altrock now

https://altrockproductions.bandcamp....anza-dei-sogni
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Man... it hit it's stride this weekend - had time to really listen and dig in - wow... it just gets better and better once you understand how it flows. Some super melodies and damn the little bits are so cool... and not easy to discover - which makes this a huge repeat player for me. Dense.
    Yes, exactly.

I hope that there will be people to devote some time and energy to this beauty. Assuming that there is even an audience...

I have just one tinywiny bit of criticism: I wish it were longer.

Just 3 and 4 minute tunes but amazing how much detail and complexity they managed to get into these minutes. Not a single second of it is wasted.

Ok,ok, maybe it is long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have just one tinywiny bit of criticism: I wish it were longer.

Just 3 and 4 minute tunes but amazing how much detail and complexity they managed to get into these minutes. Not a single second of it is wasted.

Ok,ok, maybe it is long enough.
    I can understand that - it was over faster than it seemed. I have been going back to the previous two now and comparing them a bit - all similar in a dense packed way - but this one I think is a real treat.. .and that is saying something since I adore the first two as well.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    For some reason this band just doesn't connect with me, gave the new one a listen today and will give it at least another couple but I doubt I'll jump on it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    For some reason this band just doesn't connect with me, gave the new one a listen today and will give it at least another couple but I doubt I'll jump on it.
    I think I can kinda understand that. They seem to fall onto the lighter end of the Canterbury spectrum, and their music feels pretty breezy at times.

That being said, I really enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I liked the first one, it had more memorable songs to my ears. I have the second one, but I've tried and just can't get into it. I've sampled the new one and frankly I got bored and didn't get through it. I'll give it another listen, but maybe these guys just aren't for me; though I'll likely keep that first album.

Bill

I understand some of the more lukewarm reactions. As I stated, 2nd and 3rd listen, that was my reaction too. Pleasant, but a bit superficial. This one really needs a lot of time and listens. Take for instance a song like "Se la mente mentisse": it starts like a jolly, jazzy little song, then you get a brillant Caravan-like instrumental passage, then a return of the singing part (na-na-na-na - no lyrics, just goofy blissfulness), then another completely different instrumental, flute-led passage, then a coda that winds up to female voice. It clocks at 4 minutes and 12 seconds, but the ideas in it could easily be developed in a 10min epic. It doesn't get any denser than this.

And that's the obstacle for unlocking this album's beauty.

I understand some of the more lukewarm reactions. As I stated, 2nd and 3rd listen, that was my reaction too. Pleasant, but a bit superficial. This one really needs a lot of time and listens. Take for instance a song like "Se la mente mentisse": it starts like a jolly, jazzy little song, then you get a brillant Caravan-like instrumental passage, then a return of the singing part (na-na-na-na - no lyrics, just goofy blissfulness), then another completely different instrumental, flute-led passage, then a coda that winds up to female voice. It clocks at 4 minutes and 12 seconds, but the ideas in it could easily be developed in a 10min epic. It doesn't get any denser than this.

+1

Just had a listen to this track. Your comments are interesting and illuminating on why some like this. Personally, I don't find this particularly dense. Yeah, there are a number of ideas packed in, but each on its own is pretty simple, and their connection to one another is somewhat ambiguous to my ears. I'm also not sure I'd describe the Caravan-like passage as "brilliant," or the "na-na-na" as "blissfulness." "Goofy," maybe, blissful, not so much for me.

I'd agree they could have developed some of the ideas in this song out a bit. 10 minute epic, I'm not so sure, but more development might make it more interesting to me. But, for others it's perfect as is, so why mess with perfection? For those who like it, I'm happy. For me, there just isn't enough substance under the hood to keep me that engaged. I don't hate it, but it's little more than a pleasant listen to my ears. The first album had more cohesion of ideas to me, which is why I like it better.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just had a listen to this track. Your comments are interesting and illuminating on why some like this. Personally, I don't find this particularly dense. Yeah, there are a number of ideas packed in, but each on its own is pretty simple, and their connection to one another is somewhat ambiguous to my ears. I'm also not sure I'd describe the Caravan-like passage as "brilliant," or the "na-na-na" as "blissfulness." "Goofy," maybe, blissful, not so much for me.

I'd agree they could have developed some of the ideas in this song out a bit. 10 minute epic, I'm not so sure, but more development might make it more interesting to me. But, for others it's perfect as is, so why mess with perfection? For those who like it, I'm happy. For me, there just isn't enough substance under the hood to keep me that engaged. I don't hate it, but it's little more than a pleasant listen to my ears. The first album had more cohesion of ideas to me, which is why I like it better.

Bill
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to listen to the song and answer me back. Well, some things are just a matter of taste, aren't they? But I was merely trying to highlight what I consider to be the album's most idiosyncratic feature, and that is the incorporation of quite complex music into the format of a simple, short song. And the music is dense, exactly taking into account that these are quite simple, melodic songs, not just "proggy" pieces of music.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to listen to the song and answer me back. Well, some things are just a matter of taste, aren't they?
    Totally. Not everything is for everybody.

But I was merely trying to highlight what I consider to be the album's most idiosyncratic feature, and that is the incorporation of quite complex music into the format of a simple, short song. And the music is dense, exactly taking into account that these are quite simple, melodic songs, not just "proggy" pieces of music.
    I don't know, it doesn't sound that complex or dense to me, even for shorter form. For that, I look to GG who throw tons into shorter compositions, and many of those have very strong melodic components. Other bands as well, AREA, for example, but GG stick out in this regard to me.

But, like a lot of things, complexity or density are relative. If it sounds complex and dense to you, then it is at some level. Homunculus Res have their thing and that's fine by me, more power to them. But describing it as complex and dense I think is a stretch for folks here. I think it's better described as breezy early 70s Italian pop mixed with some vaguely Proto Proggy leanings. Add to that a dash of humor that pokes fun at more modern pop music (evident mostly on the first album), and I think you basically have their formula. For complexity and density, look elsewhere, imo.

Bill

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    First off, great to see this actually released!

Secondly, I'm seemingly on an island here, but I prefer the second disc to the first (quite like both though).

Third, don't love this on listen one, but I understand these things take time and I won't abandon it. I definitely wouldn't call it dense either. But, whenever this makes it way to American shores I'll be sure to grab a copy.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

So I broke down and got the new HR album. Also spun the second one the other night.

For whatever reason, the second one clicked for me a bit more than previous listens, and I have to say I enjoyed the new one quite a bit tonight on a first spin. Maybe I was just in the mood, but I definitely found both of these albums more enjoyable that the past. Not the greatest stuff, but they definitely have their charm. Hopefully they'll continue to grow on me, but I'm happy I stuck with it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I broke down and got the new HR album. Also spun the second one the other night.

For whatever reason, the second one clicked for me a bit more than previous listens, and I have to say I enjoyed the new one quite a bit tonight on a first spin. Maybe I was just in the mood, but I definitely found both of these albums more enjoyable that the past. Not the greatest stuff, but they definitely have their charm. Hopefully they'll continue to grow on me, but I'm happy I stuck with it.

Bill
    the new one is destroying me... I cant stop - its reached that place where the sweetness and joy of it is super heavy. Fantastic.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I want fans of HR to know master Dario will be accompanying me on every track of the upcoming rascal reporters(you've never heard of this project/band thanks to many fine, upstanding progressive music mail order bozos,lol)album, "the strange case of Steve"! Yippee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I want fans of HR to know master Dario will be accompanying me on every track of the upcoming rascal reporters(you've never heard of this project/band thanks to many fine, upstanding progressive music mail order bozos,lol)album, "the strange case of Steve"! Yippee!!!
    OMG - THIS ^^^^^